Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • recommend me something to do in Detroit next Saturday
  • tonyg2003

The joys of business travel 🙁 I'm in the – lets be polite – "post-industrial restructured landscape" that is Detroit next saturday. Anyone can recommend something to do? I've looked at the tourist info and I may be staying in the Hotel all day at this rate.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

can everyone stop getting shot ?

tinsy
    Free Member

Hooters! 🙂

Dangerboy
    Free Member
    donald
    Free Member

I spent 3 months in Detroit once and I'm still scratching my head wondering what you could do.

I suppose the Ford museum in Dearborn might be worth a visit.

Don't go wandering about aimlessly though – some bits are OK, some bits are OK in daylight and some bits are just not OK at all.

tonyg2003

the lab i'm visiting has numerous security guards with machine guns – seriously scary in places.

Hooters – not that impressive in the cold light of day.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yup I spent 3 months there its like a ferking desolate cultural wasteground… I stayed in rednecksville down in Monroe about an hour south, it too was awful, drive to Birmingham its worth a wander around, and actually has some pavements to do so.

There must be something to do, but I am at a loss what it is, I got drunk a real lot and sometimes I went to the batting cages to let off some steam.

You could just try a drive through Macdonalds for a laugh, and see if they can understand one word you say.

I would rather lick my own faeces to a point than ever go back.

tonyg2003

I lived in Moss Side for a couple of years when I was a student and some parts of Detroit make it look like DisneyLand.

A day in the hotel for me then!

tinsy
    Free Member

Just spoke to a collegue who did a year there he said get over to Windsor, or you could maybe go skiing at Brighton.

easygroove
    Free Member

http://www.royaloakbrewery.com/
    Check out Royal Oak – some great pubs and microbreweries in the area (woodward Av around 11 Mile)

I've been 3 or 4 times and when you get to know youre way around its pretty cool. There is good riding in national parks but you will need a willing guide from a local bike shop – again try Royal Oak, there is a decent LBS and you might find someone who will show you trails, if it has warmed up enough when you go.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There's only one thing I'd want to do if I went there & thats see a hockey game. Unfortunately I've just checked the Redwings fixtures & they don't have a game on Saturday but they are hosting Nashville Predators on Friday at 7.30 at the Joe Louis arena. Get to that if you can.

SaxonRider

Gaze across the lake longingly at Windsor, and avoid the bullets? 🙄

tonyg2003

I'd love to get to a hockey game, git that the dates don't match up. Otherwise I could innocently ask people there "BTW. Who won the hockey at the Olympics?"

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

The Motown Museum is interesting
    motown

The Ford museum is okay too.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Stay in your hotel room with a gun by your side and DON'T do room service!

porterclough
    Free Member

Cross the river into Canada?

A mate of mine used to have to go to a trade show in Detroit every year, apparently they usually went for beers over in Windsor in the evenings. Can't tell you anything myself though, I've only spent 4 hours in Detroit, in the airport, wishing I was in Seattle like I was meant to be.

Marge
    Free Member

Damn
    I used to work occasionally in Royal Oak & never knew about the brewery.

Shame about the hockey. A visit to the red wings is just great.

tonyg2003

So the general opinion is – Saturday – leave Detroit and go to Canada!

kimbers
    ianv
    Free Member
    Joxster
    Free Member

Get laid

disco_stu
    Free Member

on a musical tip
    Motown Museum

if your into techno or house try a visit to the Submerge record store

TheFopster
    Free Member

Go buy some cheap bike stuff. Go buy some cheap outdoor stuff (Try REI on the wonderfully named "Big beaver Road" in Birmingham…). If Redwings not playing, take in a football (i.e. not "soccer") game if there is one on? Get a what's on from http://www.detnews.com and try something out. It's really not as dangerous as people say, and the accent tends to get you lots of leeeway from the natives once they have understood you.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Stay in the airport. Really nice water feature in there.

busydog
    Free Member

For whatever it''s worth, people here in the states don't like to go to Detroit if they don't have to and a lot of people there are looking to leave. The downturn of the auto industry has really had a major negative impact on the city. The biking in the area might be pretty sketchy if they have had much snow.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Check out submerge record shop, find a wharehouse party, get wrecked, leave.

TheSanityAssassin

Danger ****?

Pembo
    Free Member

Ann Arbor is worth a visit if you just want a relaxing day. It's home to the University of Michigan and has plenty of bars, coffee shops, book stores etc and a laid back feel. It may even have some college hockey or basketball going on.

tonyg2003

If you want to see something real about Detroit – a requiem for Detroit – is on BBC2 tonight. Almost unbeleivably (imagine this happening to a UK city) Detroit has recently declined from 2.0M to 800K people and there is so much inner city deprevation / waste that they are considering taking parts of the city back to farmland. It must be a first in modern civilisation for a city to do this.

sailor74
    Free Member

hookers

curtisthecat
    Free Member

I went to Detroit 2 years ago with a mate from Canada. He,and most Canadians were convinced that we were going to be killed. It is a rough city but well worth a visit, if only for the Motown Museum. I really wanted to go and see some jazz(someone who had been in Eric Dolphy's band I think) and then some techno, but we ended up staying in the hotel and watched my mate drink himself silly. Oh well.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Oh yeah, Winsor is known as the strip club capital as the ladeez take it all off(they aren't allowed to in Detroit.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘recommend me something to do in Detroit next Saturday’ is closed to new replies.