Home Forums Chat Forum Recommend me some lightweight summer walking boots

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Recommend me some lightweight summer walking boots
  • binners

Morning all

I’m looking to replace my Keen Gore-tex summer walking boots which after years of service are looking a bit sorry for themselves. I’ve got a proper pair of Meindl leather Gore-tex high-top boots for tromping over the quagmire that is the local moors in the winter, but I’m now hoping for a summer of better weather and being able to pop up to the lakes for some walking on the fells.

I’m thinking that another set of Keens would probably fit the bill, but I thought I’d see if theres any words of wisdom on the subject from the hive-mind. So, I want low top, lightweight, but waterproof up to a point (its British summertime after all).

We’re off up to Keswick in a couple of weeks and as non-essential shops will be back open, I’ll be able to try some on and buy them, then christen them there

Your experiences please, oh knowledgable ones….

ElShalimo

Go to the Keswick Boot Company – not cheap but the people who run it really know their stuff and are very friendly.

I know that you know this @binners but these great small independent companies need to be supported

p7eaven
    Free Member

Your experiences please, oh knowledgable ones….

Get a good fit

Consider maybe slightly wider toe box for summer. I run hot so prefer breathable/dry-able to Goretex etc for the most part. Saying that, my Lowa Renegade aren’t too bad in summer (wide toe box helps)

I’ve recently taken to wearing inexpensive Lidl/Crivit trainers everywhere almost all year round (no socks) because the breathability is near sandal-like. 90% mesh. I upgraded the insoles to thicker versions so can still navigate rockier trails.

Took the Renegade GTX out in the snow and mud yesterday though and felt thankful. Like slippers of the boot world. They’re my favourite warm-weatherable boots to date, since first buying a pair in 1990s.

This summer I may be looking to change to some mesh/quick-dry trail shoes as plan to do a lot more faster, lighter, hillwalking

binners

@ElShalimo – Thats exactly what I’m after doing – spending some money with one of the independents – so I’ll look the Keswick Boot Company up. I’m not fussed about cheap as its boots that are going to get plenty of use. Cheers!

@p7eaven
    – I went and got properly measured up for my Meindl’s because I have wide feet too (I’m roughly the same body shape as an orangutan)

highlandman
    Free Member

Other end of the scale is also worth considering- Decathlon MH500 Mid is well worth a look at £60 for this sort of use when you already have something chunkier. I bought a pair a couple of months ago and so far, in a relatively dry spring, they’ve been great. True to size for me too.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-waterproof-mountain-walking-boots-mid-mh500/_/R-p-171904?mc=8493840&c=GREY

RustyNissanPrairie

I have a pair of Haix Tatical mid for fast tabs on Lakeland fells. Super lightweight, leather, grippy soles.

https://www.haix.co.uk/haix-black-eagle-tactical-2.0-gtx-mid-black-special-edition

AKU pilgrim are supposed to be good and on my list.

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/military/footwear

midlifecrashes

If the Brasher Supalite range has survived the Berghaus takeover, try a pair on. Capable of anything that isn’t extreme winter plastic boots and crampons etc., and the difference to your knees, calves and instep at the end of a long day is immense due to not swinging an unnecessary kilo backwards and forwards 10000 times.

RustyNissanPrairie

^My old pre Berghaus Supalites were good but became quite slack and baggy and offered no roll support.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m sure you know what you’re after, making my contribution somewhat redundant, but these days I just use trail running shoes for all my hillwalking. Lightness is everything and with the right socks even getting damp feet is no big drama.

ElShalimo

@binners – I’ve got 11.5 wide feet and got some great walking shoes for summer a few years ago Boreal Aztec. I’ve got a few pairs of shoes/boots there over the years.

Also my wife has long thin problem feet and managed to get some new boots there another time, which was a minor miracle given for one foot she needs a farrier ;-)

Once done shopping, go out of the door, turn left walk 50m and pop into the Square Orange cafe i(f it’s open by then). It’s very nice

midlifecrashes

Yep, it’s horses for courses and all that, but like bike tyres and their pressures, in the UK you can be perfectly shod for the bit of trail underneath you now, but in a couple of hundred yards it’ll be significantly different. I did eleven miles in rolling farmland and woods in Trickers last week, and they were great, but I’m not making them my first choice for hiking.

binners

@ElShalimo – Keswick is our default destination. I’ve really missed it. We got a week up there when everything briefly re-opened last summer but obviously haven’t been back since. I love the Square Orange, but as you’ll know I’m always drawn to the cow pie at the George :)

surfer
    Free Member

Hoka. not your traditional boot but I pass by my other Scarpa, Inov8 boots and wear mine every opportunity I get. Walked and ran a lot over the years in shoes and boots and these are the most comfortable I have worn. Obvs not right for every condition.

edit: Ive got the Sky Karha. They do them in George Fisher (but they never seem to have stock)

Pieface

I would not recommend Inov8 Roclite 345s. They are a wonderful, flexible and lightweight boot, however because of this they only last a year or so before the rubber toe bumper falls apart or the sides of the upper begin to split.

surfer
    Free Member

Agree @pieface generally poorly made IMO and you can feel every stone which is ok for a fell shoe but not a boot

footflaps

Go to the Keswick Boot Company

Very limited range though, George Fisher has a much better range and just round the corner.

Hoka. not your traditional boot

I’m quite keen to try their latest one, they look very strange but get great reviews..

Personally I use 5.10 approach shoes in the Lakes etc, their sticky rubber soles are excellent on rock.

mogrim

the sides of the upper begin to split.

I had the same problem with the Roclite running shoes I had – the rest was fine, but the mesh around the side of the toe box split. They’d done over a 1000km running by this point, so they needed changing anyway.

matt_outandabout

I’ve a pair of Innov8 shoes – they are just too flexible in the sole. I find on rocky terrain it feels almost barefoot at times.

I’ve also a pair of Goretex Brooks Cascadia trainers/approach shoes – they’ve a plate/stiffer sole than most trainers. They’ve become my go to summer hill footwear, coupled with gaiter for when needed if wet.

Other than that I’ve Salomon Alp-X Mid that are brilliant things. Like slippers, light, tough enough and also some medium stiffness when scrambling.

When the Brooks wear out I’m looking for similar, touch wider and a new lycra gaiter as well.

p7eaven
    Free Member

OP, just throwing this in as it’s a good read

https://www.backpackingnorth.com/ultralight-makeover-give-your-feet-a-break

The old adage “one pound on the foot equals five pounds on the back” is worth remembering

RustyNissanPrairie

Fixed it for you based on that pic above.

Hoka. Obvs not right for being seen in public whilst wearing every condition

footflaps

Other than that I’ve Salomon Alp-X Mid that are brilliant things. Like slippers, light, tough enough and also some medium stiffness when scrambling.

I have some as my wet weather walking boots, I find the GTX doesn’t breathe that well, so I don’t use them if it’s dry and use 5.10 leather approach shoes.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My wife is on her third pair of Hoka running shoes. She thinks they’re brilliant. I’ve no idea how well she runs in them, I don’t go out with her when she’s wearing them obviously.

vondally

Hoka wearer here and found them unsupportive and not great on anything, firetracks and rocks meh, mud lethal.

Inov8 tried and found them flat (heel drop) and poorly made.

Adidas skychaser brilliant ideas light,grippy sole with lugs and good on moor or fell BUT we have three pairs delaminate on the crease across your foot.

Salomon xa pro …ok done a few big days in them including dales three peaks but rings grip rubbish in mud.

I am not a big fan of heavy boots or shoes so do like the whole lightweight boot shoe, try Kong sports in keswick.

vondally

Sorry. Matt ob …agree with his brooks casidia suggestion ..next on my list to try and la sportive mutant,oh and salwea

mogrim

I’ve a pair of Innov8 shoes – they are just too flexible in the sole. I find on rocky terrain it feels almost barefoot at times.

Pretty sure that depends a lot on the model – the ones I had had a decent rock plate in them, they certainly weren’t anything like that!

I’ve got mates that really rate Hoka in the mountains, and given they’ve done races like the >300km Tors de Geant I suppose they know what they’re talking about. I use them on road and they’re great, but when I tried on a pair of their trail running shoes they didn’t feel so good.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got mates that really rate Hoka in the mountains, and given they’ve done races like the >300km Tors de Geant I suppose they know what they’re talking about. I use them on road and they’re great, but when I tried on a pair of their trail running shoes they didn’t feel so good.

The shoes and boots use a similar sole and midsole and I have ran a lot in the shoes on the fells. They are very good, the only downside is the size and you often catch your toe etc but you get used to that.

DougD

I know you said low top, but at the start of the year I got some La Sportiva TX4 Mid GTX and they’ve been excellent. Find them really comfortable, lightweight, waterproof and a grippy sole.

RustySpanner

I’m sticking with Keen for fabric shoes.
    Perfect fit for me.

They seem to be really well made too.

binners

@RustySpanner. Those were my initial thoughts Pete. Mine have done some serious mileage but they’re on their last legs now. I can’t complain about the quality though. Thy’ve lasted years.

Thanks very much for your thoughts everyone. I’ll check out all your recommendations so I’ve got plenty to go at when I get to the Lakes and can try some stuff on

BadlyWiredDog

For shoes, I find Salomon X-Ultras brilliant for walking – too soft underfoot for scrambling – but they’re dedicated walking/hiking shoes or also available in mid or boot versions and the shoe comes with or without Gore-Tex. Really comfortable, cushioned enough for hard surfaces. Surprisingly durable.

I like inov-8s, but they’re minimal and not the most durable option out there.

I find Hokas off road a bit like self-righting lifeboats and don’t really like that on anything other than smoothish paths. Great on smooth, hard surfaces though, if that’s what you want. Scarpa does decent stuff, ditto Meindl, Hanwag, Mammut, Zamberlan etc, try lots on, see what works for you.

As ever the proviso is that the best shoe or boot in the world is useless to you if it doesn’t fit your foot. But if they do, Salomon X-Ultra is ace :-)

ps: KEEN effectively has two fits these days. The original super-broad, high volume US last and a range of models make in Europe which are still broad fitting, but not quite to the same extent.

highpeakrider
    Free Member
    bigyan
    Free Member

How long do the soles last?

I have Salomon Quest 4D GTX and love them, but I wear the soles out in less than a year, but they are so comfy! (I do wear them every day the time until they are dead)

mrhoppy

I’ve got some Hokas, they work for me because the low drop And rolling sole helps with my gammy ankles. They’ve been a relegation and mean I can do a good 10 miles and not be in crippling pain in the evening. Light, grippy, sole is hard wearing. Colours are in the ‘interesting’ side of life.

That said I suspect they may be an acquired taste and not work for everyone.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Boots are very subjective the best walking boots i have owned from a comfort point of view are a pair of Karrimor chevoits as they simply fit me? Tried Altberg and all sorts of expensive boots and none seem to work for me. I have a pair of Haix high liability British Army boots that i work outside in during the winter and they are like slippers.

Always takes me ages to break in Doc Martens even the soft leather ones?

matt_outandabout

I find the GTX doesn’t breathe that well, so I don’t use them if it’s dry

Agreed.

However I seem to have three dry underfoot hill days a year…. 😂

riklegge

@binners I notice someone above has already recommended Boreal, if you want to hit up your local friendly Boreal UK rep give me a shout!
    There’s some places local to me that have stock too and are worth a look, specifically Mountain Feet in Marsden and Peak Footwear in Holmfirth. You could even bring a bike and ride with me and Tom.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m sure you know what you’re after, making my contribution somewhat redundant, but these days I just use trail running shoes for all my hillwalking. Lightness is everything and with the right socks even getting damp feet is no big drama.

Hmm, I used to guess I’m getting old.

Other end of the scale is also worth considering- Decathlon MH500 Mid is well worth a look at £60 for this sort of use when you already have something chunkier.

Ive been pretty happy with my Karrimor Bodmin shoes. Not Karrimor like when I woz a lad but held up well for a few years and the weatherproofing is OK. As much or more than I’d wear in Keswick in summer..

binners

@riklegge – cheers mate. I was having a look at them yesterday. I’ve had a pair of Boreal gore-tex boots years ago and they were great. You don’t seem to see them in many places. I’d definitely get another pair

And combining that with a ride sounds like a great idea

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some lightweight summer walking boots’ is closed to new replies.