Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me… an audiobook for an 11 year old girl
  • leffeboy

I know that there is virtually no subject on which stw can’t shine light so has anyone got any suggestions for audiobooks for an 11 year old girl? We’ve got a long train journey coming up so I want to burn off a few hours for a snooze for me. Books are also a good suggestion as I can see if an audio version exists

awaits dodgy suggestions as well as the good….

z1ppy

Going by one book I’m currently reading/listening to, A. Lee Martinez, his wiki pages say his book written for adults, but appeal to young adults

or Jasper Fforde – I wasn’t hugely impressed but the ‘Thursday Next’ books they’re ok & have a female lead & lots of book references that might take her elsewhere…

or one of my favorite authors, young adults book, China Miéville;s – Un Lun Dun

Otherwise the obvious choice is ‘Arry potter ain it? (Coming of age story)

midlifecrashes

I have all the main Roald Dahl on CD, have gone down well on holiday trips.

Edit: the voice actor makes a big diference.

leffeboy

Un lung dun looks great, I’m going to hunt that out
    Emotionally can’t handle people with Ff in their name 🙁
    Ronald Dahl is a great suggestion

Keep em coming, I’m off too audible to see what’s there, thanks

househusband

Has she read ‘The Hunger Games’ books..? The audiobook is excellent.

(It may be a bit mature for her but I know that some pupils I’ve taught have read the book at that age.)

gwaelod
    Free Member

Artemis fowl is popular with miss gwaelod…fairies..with stunguns

higthepig
    Free Member

Any Eoin Colfer audiobooks for my daughter, although she is a lot older than yours, she is now 12 (going on 20ish)

jekkyl

The golden compass series, better than the movie, they feature older kids.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

the ‘his dark materials trilogy’ or the ‘sally lockheart’ books by Philip Pullman. get my top vote.
    also the harry potter books read by Stephen Fry are excellent

leffeboy

finds credit card and ipods. tx all

midlifecrashes

Your local library will have them cheaper, save some cash.

househusband

finds credit card and ipods. tx all

I’m sure that Audible will have a free trial or offer one free audiobook… hang on and I’ll have a look and see if they offer a ‘recommendation to someone’ thing…

PJay
    Free Member

What ever you decide, keep an eye out in The Works, they seem to be shifting a large chunk of Audio Go’s stock (they went bust towards the end of last year). The have a shed load of children’s audiobooks (as well as adults’), including seriously expensive Chivers ones, all for £3.99 a pop. You can order via the website but much of what ends up in individual shops never gets as far as their website.

tinribz
    Free Member

Call of the wild? You can download all the Narnia books.

Edit, here’s one 11hours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKmczjTMudw

Edit2: John Green’s books were supposed to popular with that age group.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder. If she’s the bookish sort, I’m sure she would find it interesting.

leffeboy

I never thought of looking on YouTube, good call. Done the free thing already but thanks househusband (are you really a househusband?). Don’t have time to do local library now but will next time, just left it too late as always. I’ll check out the other stuff once I’ve packed and leffe’d, tx 🙂

eskay

My boys liked the Tintin series (they were also fans of the books, not sure if that helps them relate to the stories more).

Also the Roald Dahl collection, they really enjoyed the Enid Blyton Famous Five/Secret Seven recordings as well.

househusband

are you really a househusband?

Nope; secondary teacher and fellow (aren’t you..?) Fifer. The ‘househusband’ started as a joke with my wife some 8/9 years or so ago when I joined the forum – I did all the cooking and household stuff whilst a mature student.

leffeboy

secondary teacher and fellow (aren’t you..?) Fifer

Used to work in Dalgety Bay but in Brussels now. Made for a great commute back to Edinburgh each day

Roald Dahl is looking like a winner. I think we’ve tried Enid Blyton but it didn’t go down well. Strangely enough Nancy Drew did even though it seems hugely dated now.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me… an audiobook for an 11 year old girl’ is closed to new replies.