Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Recommend me a super plush, nice, mile munching car.
  • philjunior
    Free Member

May sound snobbish, but it’s not going to be a Skoda no matter how good they are.

Doesn’t sound snobbish, just a bit daft. Go take one for drive. Superb offers exactly what you’re after and is absolutely huge.

Yes they used to be a bit iffy, but that was a long, long time ago.

v8ninety

For your supplied specs, it has to be a Merc E or S class. As has already been said.

I know exactly what you mean about Skodas, I use to feel the same. However, it’s worth realising that they are not the same anymore, and maybe take a high spec one for a spin. The top end ones are indistinguishable in the way they drive to their equivelent VAGs across the other three brands. (I’ve got a Golf GTD, mate has a Leon with the same engine, another has an Octavia VRs, yet another has a fastish A3. If I was blindfolded whilst driving any of them, I doubt I’d be able to tell you which I was in before I crashed into a lorry. They are more similar than they are different; just brand engineering really. Mines the best looking of the bunch though 😈 )

stumpy01

If it’s cruising comfort you are after, I wouldn’t be looking at a BMW or an Audi. Set-up more for the ultimate driving experience (sitting in traffic on the M25).

E-Class Merc
    Older S Class
    VW Phaeton
    VW Touerag
    Big Volvo of some description

Choose something that shuns PHAT wheels with rubber band wheels in favour of some tyres with a decent aspect ratio for a bit more compliance….

Bregante

I spotted a lovely phaeton 3.0 v6 for sale around the corner from me at a local dealer the other week. 120,000 miles and immaculate. £4.5k.

I was soo tempted. But the registration number was familiar.

Then it came to me. I seized it from a drug dealer in 2012 under the proceeds of crime act and it’s been sat in a vehicle pound for 3 years. 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

For all those singing the praises of Skoda they are an OK motor built on VAG parts but with penny pinching measures to make them competitive. My 3 year old Skoda already has more squeaks and rattles than the 11 year old Mondeo it replaced.
    VAG isn’t all it used to be either in engineering terms and is it turns out the VW cheat software was actually from the Audi engineers going as far back as 1999. Vorsprung Durch Technik my arse, maybe they need to change it to Vorsprung Durch Betrug.

pictonroad

Phaeton. Definitely a Phaeton.

or lexi.

Superficial
    Free Member

On a brand perception point of view, I’d rather have a Skoda than a Ford I think. By all accounts the Superb is pretty good – see the fifth gear Superb vs E class video on YouTube.

Harry_the_Spider

What do you Superb owners make of the seats? I did a couple of hundred miles in one a few years ago and it was spine shattering.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Volvo or VW passat

Both v comfy seats and we are on Volvo #3 for practical reasons. Only downside is the wallowy drive

craigxxl
    Free Member

see the fifth gear Superb vs E class video on YouTube.

Short test based on a couple of days with a car shouldn’t be your basis on buying a car that you will have for a few years or more.

I’d gladly have a Ford rather than a VAG again. I’d chose a Citroen over one too.

Weeksy, Citroen C5’s are great cars too but they are huge even compared to a Mondeo. Fast, realiable and economical with a magic carpet ride. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried them. A client of mine replaced their fleet of Skoda’s with them and now the leases have finished just replaced with the more C5’s.

surfer
    Free Member

Citroens have always had a reputation for making smooth and comfortable large cars. Resale values fall off a cliff though which makes a second hand one a bargain. Reliability and build quality has always been suspect. Not sure what they are like now but problems like that can stick for years.

I have benefited a few times from outdated reliability concerns buying Alfa’s. All great cars and as reliable as anything else if you are mechanically sympathetic and keep them serviced.

surfer
    Free Member

By all accounts the Superb is pretty good

Looked a one a few years ago when I was buying a new car. I am an old man but even I couldn’t drive one of them around. Comfortable and felt like a well built car but look awful.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

<hijack>

I spotted a lovely phaeton 3.0 v6 for sale around the corner from me at a local dealer the other week. 120,000 miles and immaculate. £4.5k.
    I was soo tempted. But the registration number was familiar.
    Then it came to me. I seized it from a drug dealer in 2012 under the proceeds of crime act and it’s been sat in a vehicle pound for 3 years.

Why would proceeds of crime put you off? Because it may have been run ragged or something else? Will it always be flagged on some DB somewhere?

My father (ex-force) had a Ford Galaxy for years that had been used for undercover work in drugs surveillance.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got a C class Estate sport which had 4000 on the clock when I bought it (£6k of the list) and was cheaper than a good spec Mondeo at the time!
    I have done a few miles over the years having jobs that required me to travel around the country and the Merc is flawless, 7 speed semi automatic and is a joy to drive. Done 100k so far and expect at least another 100 before I flog it.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Volvo or VW passat

Both v comfy seats and we are on Volvo #3 for practical reasons. Only downside is the wallowy drive

In which case you need to buy an 03-07 S60R or V70R. Whole different beast. Ohlins design chassis/suspension with Monroe electronically controlled shocks and three chassis settings. Combined with Brembo brakes and a 300bhp engine that will do 0-60 in 5.5secs. All for change out of £7k for a sub 100k mile car. Bargain.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’d agree the E class is a good call, however the higher ride height of an XC90 is nice as the forward view is better, making for very relaxed cruising. On top of that you have all the benefits of 4WD, 7 seats and ability to fit huge loads in when you want to.

wombat

HTS
    I find the seats really comfy, can easily do 150 miles without a stop (unless I need a wee or some coffee or a Ginsters 😉 ) and still feel fine when I arrive.

It did take a bit of fiddling to get them just right though.

I nearly bought an E-Class instead but it was twice the price and I found the Merc seats were too wide, I felt as though I was sitting in the middle of a sofa rather than in an armchair.

EDIT

Also the Superb has a proper spare wheel rather than runflats or a pram wheel spare

solamanda
    Free Member

What kind of roads will you be driving on? When I’ve driven to the alps in a 3 series (M-Sport with run flats, apparently really uncomfortable if you believe the internet rumours) and it’s felt like it took less than half the time and no aches or pains whatsoever, quite an achievement considering the driver has a wrecked back with a prolapsed disc.

Long distances in an Auto car with a torquey quiet 6 cylinder diesel are a breeze.

Ignore those who say BMW’s are too harsh. The only time I’d agree with that is if you’re only driving on badly surfaced roads.

weeksy

The XC90 has long been one of my favourites, but the fuel economy seems pretty rubbish on them, which is a day to day factor.

My boss has a Ford Kuga in a diesel auto which seems a really nice car when I’ve been in it, fast, smooth, quiet… etc…

I also really love Jaguar XFs…

weeksy

solamanda – Member

What kind of roads will you be driving on?

Mostly motorways I guess.

Trip goes as follows
    UK > Geneva > Bologna > Como > Paris.

BAck in UK it’s mostly A34 and M4 driving.

solamanda
    Free Member

Then I’d recommend 325D in automatic, you can get a really low mileage one for under £10k. You still get a torquey inline 6 of the 330 and 335. With your family on board, you probably won’t miss the extra power as you’ll be cruising.

No DMF in automatics.

sobriety
    Free Member

Pug 407 sw, it’s like driving a leather sofa.

chrismac

Passat CC. We take ours to the alps and back each year and I have never got their feeling fresher. We do about 20k per year in it

nickewen
    Free Member

Worth considering saloon vs hatch/estate. If road noise is important then a saloon does a really good job of isolating noise from the rear axle (sheet of metal rather than flimsy parcel shelf). Saloons often cheaper but obviously less practical..

I reckon e class as noted or maybe a 525d both in auto. Go for SE trim if it’s the Beemer.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why would proceeds of crime put you off? Because it may have been run ragged or something else?

He said it had been sitting in a pound for years…

mike_p
    Free Member

VW Phaeton is a great shout – I’d have one of those if it wasn’t for the dog.

So I have an Audi A6 Avant (the last shape, not the current one). It’s very enormous, very comfortable and has so far been 100% reliable, and it devours miles with no fuss and even less stress. However the new shape is better in every department. Go for one of the 3l diseasels for a winning combo of power, economy and refinement. 4WD is an option too.

weeksy

I’m going to stop and view this on the way home today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272118073784?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not necessarily to buy it as such, but just a sit in, look round, feel how it is etc.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

For something big and comfy you could look at a Jag of some kind – maybe an S Class or XF?

Bit left field, but the big citroens have a reputation for being massively comfortable and are pretty cheap since they’re not cool. A C6 for example?

Here’s one with a 3.0 V6, LPG and 110,000 miles for £5k-ish:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Citroen-C6-3-0-i-V6-Exclusive-4dr-/252335610961?hash=item3ac05fdc51:g:84cAAOSwsN9XBRa5

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Our mk2 Octy vRS is a little firm, but otherwise a pleasant place to be while munching the miles (M3 and A34 as it happens).

The boot lip is a little annoying if you’re planning on carrying lots of heavy things, but it’s a small problem in the scheme of things.

petrieboy

If money’s no object then ranger rover is the obvious choice. In the real world, I’ve been absolutely delighted with my new Passat. Mine is a high spec estate and it’s so relaxing to drive it’s unreal. I expect a saloon or a CC (with sensible sized wheels) would be even better.

Having previously owned an A4 and my work having all sorts of Audi pool cars over the years, it wouldn’t be an Audi.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Lexus GS300

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have a ’14 plate Superb 1.4tsi petrol I get “indicated” 50mpg average on a motorway run.

It’s huge, comfy the twindoor boot is ace. Glad I got it.
    I came from an Octavia vRS.

I would have another one, however I do like the look of the newer Mercs and Jags 😀

Sundayjumper

You won’t, but I wanted to mention it, I had a 7-Series a few years back and it was lovely way to spend long trips. Four adults plus luggage in total comfort.

Seemed a waste for local pootling though so I sold it again. I kinda miss it.

Sundayjumper

…non DMF type diesel

You won’t find any vaguely modern (manual) diesel without a DMF. As already mentioned, autos don’t have DMFs, but they do have their own potential issues.

Unless you meant DPF ?

parkesie
    Free Member

Citroen c6 arrive as if you only just left and looking like a hit man or president.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qzuFE1AIew[/video]

rickmeister

For upmarket waftage, how about a tdi A8, like the Phaeton, there are a few about after horrific depreciation leaving a great car at a good price…. Autobahn friendly, loads of go and probably eats miles for breakfast.

Sor more sporty wattage, A6 3.0 Avant.

isto
    Free Member

Looked a one a few years ago when I was buying a new car. I am an old man but even I couldn’t drive one of them around. Comfortable and felt like a well built car but look awful.

The new Superb looks pretty good to me:

weeksy

You sure it’s not a Mondeo ?

Sundayjumper

That does look pretty good for £10k.

Oh.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a super plush, nice, mile munching car.’ is closed to new replies.