Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me a Strava type site for logging mileage of individual components.
  • I use http://www.fetcheveryone.com/ at the moment.
    It’s a running site and there’s an option to log your runs and tick boxes to show which pair of shoes you were wearing, so you can track how long they last.

You can create your own kit list, so I cheat a bit and use it to log how many miles I do on each bike.
    I have simply created kit named “Qoroz Rohloff”, “Qoroz SS” “Specialized Tricross” and so on, then tick the appropriate box when I upload the ride.

I want to start logging individual components now though, to keep a track of belt wear.
    It’s easy enough to do, I’ll just create another item “New front pulley fitted 24.4.2014” and tick that box as well.
    I just wondered if there’s a more cycling orientated site with the same feature.

I think I’ve seen something like it elsewhere, maybe on the premium Strava membership, but the big advantage of Fetch is that it’s free.

So, is there a free cycling site that allows you to log individual component distance ?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Use a spreadsheet

Gribs

You can do all that on the Strava website as a normal member.

I just had a look and I can’t see it, although I did discover that you can buy Strava branded cycling kit. 😕

How do I do it ?
    There’s an option to select a specific bike, but that’s not quite what I want.
    I want to be able to select “Qoroz Rohloff” or “Qoroz SS”, plus “New belt fitted 24.4.2014”, so that I can keep track of belt wear and total distance for the bike.

I can do that on Fetch, it’s just a matter of ticking one or more boxes for each ride.

andy7t2
    Free Member

Isnt there more variables to component life that time and miles, such as trail conditions, type of surface, weather. Im not sure that just measuring time and distance will give you any relevant infomation

deadkenny
    Free Member

Strava does it on the free option.

My Profile, select your bike, add components. Simple.

Just add the component with a date and it works out the rest. Retire component when done and add replacement.

Only thing that would be nice that’s missing is the option to move a component from one bike to another so you track the wear on the same component if you’ve swapped things about. That and being able to bring a component out of retirement if you decide to revert back to an old component that still has life left in it.

All a bit anal really. I don’t take it that seriously, like Strava in general, though it can be handy to look back to when I bought something.

The only guide to needing to replace something in my book is when it’s worn. I don’t replace things before they’re done. That includes chains (I replace cassettes at same frequency whether I replace the chain at Park Tools recommended intervals or just left to die. The wear on the cassette is the same be it one chain or three for the life. It only skips if you stick a new chain on it. Keep with old chain, it won’t skip, at least until it’s very dead. A new chain on early *might* not skip, but what advantage does it really give you? Especially if you use good chains, e.g. KMC, that don’t snap).

TexWade
    Free Member

I would have said the advantage of rotating chains is that a) in general the cassette will live a little longer if you rotate and b) if a chain does go terminally you at least have a second chain that should fit the existing set up with out skipping and you can soldier on without having to ditch the transmission because a new chain would skip too much.

Thanks DeadKenny, but it’s the ability to swap components that I really need.
    It’s all to do with this thread, http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/belt-drive-i-t-may-be-time-to-admit-defeat
    I want to log the wear on my belt drive, but as I use the same front pulley, then swap rear wheel and belt to convert from Rohloff to single speed, I need to be able do the same on my training log.

Like this;

It’s come out a bit fuzzy, what with being reduced, but you can just about make out that I have highlighted the bike, belt and pulley.
    When I swap to SS, I can just highlight the same bike and pulley, but the other belt.

Sandwich

Rubi-track would do it but it’s now a paid for app.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Strava type site for logging mileage of individual components.’ is closed to new replies.