Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a stand mixer
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m looking for a stand mixer, needs to have a dough hook, so I assume also need around 1000W?

This is the kind of thing thats reduced at this time of year, but want to avoid any fake ‘reductions’.

They’re fairly costly things, ideally would like to limit the budget to £100.

Any bargains around?

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I was going to recommend a Kenwood Major (1500W), but then read your budget.
    May be worth looking for a second hand one on ebay. They are built like tanks.
    MIL’s Kenwood from the 50’s is still going strong.
    You may end up spending quite a bit on accessories too. I don’t need an ice cream maker, I really don’t.

We shied away from recent Kitchen Aids due to reports of quality issues.
    Make sure you have somewhere to store it as they are generally pretty big and heavy to move around.

JoeG
    Free Member

Kitchen Aid.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Kenwood Chef KM330 is £130 at Tesco direct – 800W motor but you don’t get the liquidiser.
    Not the most stylish of things but my mum had one for 30+ years before giving it to my brother. Mine’s is 10 years old and never missed a beat. Amazing range of accessories once you start looking.

spot
    Free Member

not a kitchenaid
    really overpriced for what the are

2nd vote for kenwood major (way over budget though)

sprootlet
    Free Member

Try Bosch MUM46A1 Food Mixer
    It folds down and the dough hook works fine. Can’t big amounts of dough but can certainly cope with 500g of flour easily.
    Had it for about a year and pleased with it.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I have a friend who is a semi professional baker and has a kitchen Aid and a Kenwood chef, she would use the kenwood every time mainly as the KA doesn’t scrape the bowl very well. As a thing to keep out on the worktop though it’s the best looking!

crankboy
    Free Member

Kmix 8 speed 5 litre bowl according to crankygirl who did all the research then told me what to surprise her with for xmas. on deal at John Lewis.

Cougar

I’ve got a Kenwood Chef (er, Googles…) KM331. Can’t fault it. Comes with a dough hook I’ve never used.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I would have said that the KC is the mutts nuts full stop but I was killing mine doing bread dough so a couple of years ago I bought the daddy of all worktop mixers – a Hobart N50:

They are the smallest mixer Hobart [who make commercial mixers] make and it’s almost indestructible – I’ve seen N50s in TV being used to mix concrete and ashpalt!
    No variable speed motor and crappy cast gears, Hobarts have a single speed motor (so it can be smaller and more efficient) with a 3 speed gearbox made from proper forged gears that will really last your lifetime + a lot more.
    Bigger than the Kitchen Aid, it’s domestic cousin, the N50 weighs in at about 30kg and is doesn’t get flung around the worktop light the KA or KC (I literally had to lie on top of our KC to stop it flying around when mixing dough).
    They are fairly simple inside so you can strip the gearbox, clean and regrease it every 10 years

Another advantage is that you can use pretty much all of the Kitchen Aid accessories on the N50 as the fitting on the front is the same size.

Obviously these things are expensive new, about £1700 + VAT, but I paid £315 for mine on eBay and they do come up at that price from time to time, so keep an eye open. Pretty sure you’ll always get your money back.

Best bit of kit I’ve bought in years, and will still be worth the same in another 15 years.

Oh yeah, many people like to customise them!

ransos
    Free Member

Kenwood Majors are bloomin huge! We’ve always found a Chef sized mixer to be adequate for our needs.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What are you wanting to mostly mix mrjmt?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Mostly dough for wholemeal bread and pizza bases. Also white dough for pittas.
    But I also make a lot of cakes so would use it for that too if I had the option.

Really wish I’d not seen the hobart one now.

The Andrew James ones on amazon seem to be popular, anyone got any experience of those?

The kmix one at John Lewis is out of stock.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have to recommend a Kenwood Chef, mine is around 50 years old given to me by my mum when she thought she should update – so I now also have the newer one on standby at the back of a cupboard, not that I expect to use it for a few years yet.
    Discalimer: I have no idea if the new models will last like the old ones.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I almost killed my mums old kenword chef making bread dough – the joint where it hinges cannot cope with the the stress of mixing heavy stuff for long periods.
    So you’re better off with a design that does not hinge open.
    generally bread will not be good to a domestic machine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

After a lot of research my wife (very keen cook) went for a K-Mix. It was a gift so she could have bought a Kitchen Aid if she had wanted, she felt the K-Mix was better and it was a fraction of the price and she decided it was better to spend the balance on something else. We bought it online in France as cheaper than the UK but it was still £200 I recall. OP I think your budget is a bit optimisitc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a stand mixer’ is closed to new replies.