Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Recommend me a sports documentary…
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Bookmarking

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Lots of good ideas. Thanks.

I watched Generation Iron on Netflix about body building.

Totally misunderstood and unknown sport. For this reason it was fascinating and really interesting.

righog
    Free Member

So Much good stuff on this thread….Bump for the bank holiday 🙂

scud
    Free Member

Riding Giants
    Billabong Odyssey – both great surf documentaries

Dogtown and the Z-Boys – great skate documentary

Doesn’t matter if you are into surfing or skateboarding, all are great documentaries anyway

stever
    Free Member

Valley Uprising on Yosemite climbing
    Nicky Spinks’ double Bob Graham http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/videos/nicky-spinks-bob-graham-round/

MSP

Ooh that’s cool, and linked from that bmc have some other good videos as well, nice resource for this kind of stuff I never realised existed.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Mountaineering – Meru. Just awesome!

MSP

Just watched Valley uprising on netflix, what a great film that is, some of the shit those guys got/get up to scares the shit out of me.

Always wished I had got into rock climbing when I was younger, although I always have had a fear of heights I don’t know if it would have cured me or if I would have just bottled it at my first go.

simondbarnes

Riding Giants
    Dogtown & Z-Boys

takisawa2

Anyone else bookmark this after 3 replies. 🙂

MSP

Anyone got anything new or so far unmentioned? I am in the mood for more sports/adventure documentaries again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Andrew Taylor’s Alaska or bus’t

Nowt like what’s already been suggested on a different lower level of adventure but adventure non the less and some great riding.

yunki
    Free Member

Watched Finding Traction in Netflix yesterday.

That is a determined lady.

I felt some of the emotion with her I think.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Last Chance University on Netflix is good.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Take your pic of climbing ones on Red Bull tv.
    Also mountains, extreme speed stuff, etc.

voodoo_chile

The best that never was …..NFL documentary intriguing story check it out ..Marcus dupree is the subject

BoardinBob

Icarus on Netflix

Unbelievable.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Another vote for hoop dreams. Its the first thought when I saw the title

mikey74
    Free Member

+1 for Riding Giants.

MSP

Anyone got anything new to add to the list?

any recent mountain biking films? not really seen anything that tickled my fancy since unreal, i was quite disappointed by deathgrip.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Fall was on not so long ago, very good…

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jul/30/last-nights-tv-the-fall-decker-v-budd-review-olympics

This one about the 100m in Soul Olympics is good too…

https://vimeo.com/53913923

TheBrick
    Free Member

The birth of big air

https://vimeo.com/125276208

Straightliner

Into Twin Galaxies on RedBullTV is worth a watch.

ElShalimo

There was a film on recently called Mountain. It was based on Robert McFarlane’s Mountains of the Mind book. It is narrated by Willem Defoe and most of the cinematography is by Renan Ozturk. It is on tour at the moment and is simply stunning on a big screen. Go and see it if you can, the score is brilliant too.

It is downloadable now but the big screen experience with full sound is amazing.

https://youtu.be/lxtWMOAHoiI

surfer
    Free Member

“The Fall” is excellent. Left me feeling strangely sad after watching it. Budd was manipulated and treated terribly. The protests at Arrowe park (a training ground of mine) were awful and as a teenager she should never have been exposed to that. I watched the race live and remember the incident clearly. Decker rallied the media against Budd and took on the role of victim. The image of her being carried away by her huge discuss throwing husband became one of the stand out images of the 84 Olympics. I also came to feel sorry for Decker who now cant run at all. Through all the typical US hyperbole the message was clear. She would just love to go out jogging with her friends but Arthritis stops her. As a runner seeing her sitting in the stands watching the children running around the track was incredibly sad. The scene at the end where they met on the track was powerful and brought a tear to my eye and made me quite reflective.

Anyway another favorite of mine (Ovett is a here of mine) 3 parts in total.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOxKgcQosSc

Stevet1
    Free Member
    rmacattack
    Free Member

senna

16stonepig
    Free Member

Ice Guardians on Netflix is interesting. 2 hour long doc about the role of fighting in ice hockey.  It’s the first time I think the players’ view has been aired in any serious way.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Ice Guardians is worth a look.

stever
    Free Member

‘The Weight Cut: Extreme Weight Loss’ on iPlayer is worth a look.
    Andy Cave/Distilled is on Amazon Prime now. Scottish winter climbing.
    https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/moonraker_-_the_first_ascent_of_the_old_redoubt-674363 – Pat Littlejohn on Moonraker and revisited exactly 50 years later with his grandaughter

chipsngravy
    Free Member

LENGTH OF SWEDEN is an endurance ride documentary—following Erik Nohlin, Rita Jett and Kristian Hallberg on the Sverigetempot randonée along the endless, monotonously spine of sparsely populated Scandinavia.

Length Of Sweden

pothead
    Free Member

Let it ride , the Craig Kelly story

Changed the world of snowboarding and one of the few people who were thought of as a legend in their own lifetime

lesshaste

+1 rmacatack.  Senna. I’ve not got a lot of interest or knowledge of  F1 et al, but this doc is excellent. Footage of those massively powerful cars from the eighties/nineties? … awesome.

Mugboo

Another vote here for Meru

eskay

Reel Rock on Red bull TV is a good series

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 on the Jimmy levan

namastebuzz
    Free Member

any recent mountain biking films?

Where The Trail Ends. – Loved it, in fact the ONLY MTBing film I’ve ever watched.

Slaying the Badger is pretty good – the tale of Greg LeMond trying to overcome Bernard Hinault at theTdF.

Also try – Freedom’s Fury. The story of the 1956 water polo match between Hungary and the USSR which happened a few days after the Hungarian uprising.

Then the more obvious: Touching the Void, When We Were Kings and Hoop Dreams.

lornholio
    Free Member

Not mentioned yet, all must-watches in my opinion:

King Of Kong (2007) – Retro gaming, very much structured as a sports documentary
    Murderball (2005) – Wheelchair rugby
    Next Goal Wins (2014) – American Samoa’s football team
    The Summit (2012) – Mountaineering
    Tickled (2016) – Competitive tickling (yes really, more an investigative journalism film but excellent)

1981miked
    Free Member

I’ll echo the Red Army ice hockey recommendation earlier in the thread and also ice guardians.

Last of the Gladiators is along the lines of ice guardians but focuses more on one guy, very good watch.

Battered b*****ds of baseball is also very good.

Road and isle of Mann closer to the edge are both excellent, the speed these guys ride on the road is insane, mind totally blown when watching the onboard footage… and I ride motorbikes! Found myself leaning into the corners with them 😆

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

MERU on Netflix and other streaming sites is a good watch

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a sports documentary…’ is closed to new replies.