Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Recommend me a pressure washer
  • dave_h
    Free Member

I’m looking for some guidance on buying a new pressure washer.  The selection criteria is

– Isn’t going to cost the earth – £100-150

– Physically not too big so easy to store

– Pretty good power to blast things

It’d be handy if it came with the usual attachments but isn’t a must

Cougar

Nilfisk is the forum-approved answer. They have an outlet website which often has some hefty discounts.

Cougar

Here you go.

https://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=7424

An extra £20 will net you a Core which is more powerful, but larger.

wheelsonfire1

I’ve had a Karcher for over twenty years and heavily used, recently serviced it with readily available spare parts, back to superb running again. Spares availability is always a consideration for when buying anything mechanical.

frankconway

Karcher pro range.

Late 2023 Farmfoods had limited availability of HD 4/8 and 4/10 at ridiculous prices. Surprise, surprise there were lots on ebay at aspirational prices and there are still a few listed as new and boxed.

You can pick up an HD 4/8 for £175 which is a little above your budget but, IMO, a good price.

You can check online for included accessories.

fossy

We have a Karcher K4, but bought the modified metal outlet after the plastic one wore enough that the hose kept popping off. Been fine since. It’s over 5 years old now.

whyterider93
    Free Member

I’ve got a Karcher K2 and can’t fault it. Bought it in a bundle with a range of attachments including a rather handy patio cleaner.
    With Easter approaching there are usually some good deals on at B&Q and the like

Northwind

What’s happened to the Nilfisk factory store? Is this a sign of the end times?

Only real gripe I have with Nilfisk is they seem to have a pretty common fault with the pressure switch, both my last 2 came down with it. It’s an easy enough diy switch but still annoying. But other’n that they’re well priced, practical, and durable. Mine just live outside, which is a hard life in Scotland for a machine full of water

MoreCashThanDash

Had low end Nilfisk and Karcher, both prone to being fragile

redmex
    Free Member

I got a 4/8 karcher for less than £100 from farm foods, it’s not been out it’s box yet although the 144 Cadbury flakes for £7 are long gone

They only lasted 2 weeks, Farm foods is a great shop , all very good stuff at good prices

Cougar

What’s happened to the Nilfisk factory store? Is this a sign of the end times?

It redirects to the site I linked to it at the top of the page? I assume they’ve rebranded it.

Just spotted, the Compact I suggested is £84 on Amazon with free next-day delivery if you have Prime.

gravedigger
    Free Member

Never buying Nilfisk again as it was tempermental to the point of invoking desires to take the sledge hammer to it.

Bought the 150bar Titan from Screwfix when on offer and it’s taken some heavy abuse cleaning up the mess left when I had some rendering done on the side of the house.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Karcher were doing 15% discount at b&q of you took your old one in when i bought mine last month

poolman
    Free Member

Karcher k5 premium here, bought directly from karcher as they were throwing in an extended warranty for free.  Really good power I m v happy.  My neighbour has a cheapo one and his patio just has faint cleaning circles, looks awful.  For stubborn stains you need more grunt and the stone cleaner attachment.

Only downside is I bought it for a specific job, delivered on time, didn’t work.  Karcher sent a replacement but it took 3 days so best try it make sure it works.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve had nilfisk.

First was a decent motor one, but in the sales. It lasted 3 years before going faulty. It was going to cost a minimum of £70 to get diagnosed and parts are not readily available. Nilfisk said themselves the reality is only the really expensive professional ones are repairable

I replaced it with anothe nilfisk with 5 yr warranty

This 2nd one has a 10m hose length , that makes a massive difference when washing cars as you don’t need to move the unit

I’d buy any brand that has a 5 yr warranty and not send more than your happy to just chuck away as none of the cheaper ones are economical to repair

burko73

I’ve got a karcher that’s about 5 yrs old and has the detergent bottle that slots in. The hose handle thing has a way of setting it to mix in detergent or not buy basically adjusting the pressure. Thing is mine works on mix but won’t adjust up to high pressure and come off mix. Anyone got any ideas  as to why and if I can repair it or where I can go to get it repaired. It works ok with the other lance with the needle jet but that’s too aggressive for a lot of stuff. The u it is in good nick and has been stored inside. It’s frustrating as it works on low or high (with the needle jet)  just not the most useful setting.

breadcrumb

I have a Titan 140 bar, it’s doing well so far. I managed to pick it up from eBay as a refurb. Just had a search and it’s not on at the moment but the same seller has it’s big brother listed..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226001548891?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=A5BFpGrhT-6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=BKp6jRUfSrC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Good seller, I had a slight issue that was resolved quickly.

£143.99 – £28.80 with the current offer.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Seller above also has 20% off coupon so will bring the price down to under £120

The worx isn’t what you’re looking for but as an aside, I tried the foam lance the other day with neat Peaty’s and it worked a treat.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

People rave about the Nilfisk and thats what I based a purchase on a few years back. Utter garbage – slowly died a horrible death about 6 months into ownership. Their customer service I found to be piss poor so binned it and just bought the cheapest little Karcher I could – probably 6 or 7 years in now and its been spot on and gets a fair bit of use doing everything from the car & van (I’m a bit of an amateur car detailer) to the driveway, patio and bikes…

multi21
    Free Member

Northwind

Only real gripe I have with Nilfisk is they seem to have a pretty common fault with the pressure switch, both my last 2 came down with it. It’s an easy enough diy switch but still annoying. But other’n that they’re well priced, practical, and durable. Mine just live outside, which is a hard life in Scotland for a machine full of water#

Exactly what I was going to say, I’ve been through 3 of them and they’ve had quite an easy life. Pressure switch each time.

Also annoying that the warranty people wouldn’t send me just the part, I had to send the entire washer back and they sent me a whole new one. Guess they don’t want the risk of Joe Public doing a repair on them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Only real gripe I have with Nilfisk is they seem to have a pretty common fault with the pressure switch, both my last 2 came down with it. It’s an easy enough diy switch but still annoying

I think that’s why my first failed . If you can tell me what parts I need I will repair it myself . It was uneconomical to get it done by nilfisk / any where else

Ro5ey
    Free Member

which ever you get, get the patio cleaner head … game changer.

DrJ

Coincidentally I was just looking at a Bosch 120 bar unit on Amazon in the Spring Sale for £90.  Any experience with Bosch pressure washers?

And newbie question- can all washers be used to snow foam your car? Or does it require a gadget not all have ?

peteimpreza

Was about to post the same question !! Sorry for the hijack.

Want a washer that will do at least 100bar and is particularly good for snow foam applications.

Any specific recommendations?

multi21
    Free Member

Want a washer that will do at least 100bar and is particularly good for snow foam applications.

You can use any for that as long as you get a decent snowfoam lance (e.g hydro 360).

My nilfisk c120 came free with one, it works but it’s v basic (non adjustable). and the foam is a bit too wet so it doesn’t cling very well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

And newbie question- can all washers be used to snow foam your car? Or does it require a gadget not all have ?

Any specific recommendations?

Yep buy a separate snow foam bottle. Most that come with the washer are useless.

The type of bottle you need depends on the type of fitting of your lance ie Karcher and Nilfisk are different fittings. Search amazon for snow foam bottles, you can soon see which ones are good, but they tend to have metal parts not plastic.

Something like this, but do your research as to your type of fitting and which are good. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Sprayer-Dispenser-Adaptor-Pressure/dp/B07V6JX99H/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1Q8C9YLMZPA2&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.LD5tcFIu7idFeWUXgHuA_GgY483bAKLsdH4mRM9uzi9Q9dNEM53QXPA2ZRXdlixg6RlYXCQAAKfwEbQgWH4S75aKxvEZlqtnL1anruL_XpMuj2-ODRbKQRKIQPqe4MHEr_SpAOCYal5HoZrZ3RHrJ6UNVJAxFHOr5IYuTlnb-SsL71X2BlJleztlUyk8XI3R80DM7prCGqtO0yj0VeUBJAdo2OHHxq1aqpGsmNuRvto.lPRAlOVW-vKydfVgpMJu3lKnPy16126MIaKpCrQ1GvQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=nilfisk+snow+foam+lance&qid=1710925272&sprefix=nilfisk+snow+foam+lance%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-21

As above the plastic ones that come with Nilfisk sort of work, but leave the snow foam very thin and wet.

wbo
    Free Member

How many bar do you think you need to run the patio washer effectively?

I’ve got a Karcher I’m going to guess is 12 years old.  Bits like the handle are falling off, but the pump and the wheels are still working.. but  feel the end is nigh.  I’m going for at least 120 bar, but is that enough?

kaiser
    Free Member

No doubt I’ll get ridiculed but I bought a lidl jetwash many years ago which has earned me thousands of pounds , been used loads and never given any hassle. They are actually on sale as we speak in the stores and come with the usual 3 yr warranty . I’ve returned various bits to lidl over the years as I keep my receipts! (or photo them ) and there’s never been a single problem with refund/replacement etc .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a Karcher I’m going to guess is 12 years old. Bits like the handle are falling off, but the pump and the wheels are still working.. but feel the end is nigh. I’m going for at least 120 bar, but is that enough?

Interested in that answer too.

I presume it’s more about flowrate as even my cheap Lidl one will lift crap and stains off the patio using the adjustable fan shaped lance. It’s just slow because you have to pass back and forth over the whole patio in 3″ stripes. IIRC it’s only ~80bar.

captaintomo
    Free Member

No ones mentioned Ava? Very happy with mine. Although mine cost around £300, the cheapest ones are around £150.

z1ppy

I looked between Ava and Nilfisk when I bought mine and went for a Nilfisk Core 140 (as I’d not heard of Ava before), had mine for two years and it’s been great, no issues. It lives in an uninsulated garage, but I try and drain it before winter, to avoid issues with freezing.

Northwind

<faiiled quote>FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think that’s why my first failed . If you can tell me what parts I need I will repair it myself . It was uneconomical to get it done by nilfisk / any where else <quote>

Sorry, I just blindly followed an online guide so I’ve no real insight. I got the part from northwestpowerwashers, they also have a load of repair manuals

shinton
    Free Member

20% off everything Karcher from today via MoneySavingExpert https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/karcher/

Edukator
    Free Member

I had a Karcher which lasted about 10 years, a Lidl which lasted about the same and now have a Karcher. The two that died both gave the same warning signs: traces of oil leaking before catastrophic pump failure.

robertajobb

£100-150… its like getting a bike vs  a bike shaped object.

The real answer… Kranzle.

KRANZLE K 1050 TST with Hose Drum

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.