Home Forums Chat Forum Recommend me a non web based email provider.

• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by doh.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a non web based email provider.
  • doh
    Free Member

I’m applying for some new jobs but they state their firewalls will block Hotmail Yahoo etc so can anyone recommend a service I could use.
    cheers

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Gmail? iCloud?

Or just register your own domain and use Google Apps.

What sort of shitty firewalls do they have? Alarm bells would be ringing for me.

GrahamS

I’ve used fastmail.fm for donkeys years. It’s very old skool these days but I still like it.

Good things:
    – they have a nice, no adverts, low graphics, fast web-based front end
    – they have IMAP servers for non-web based stuff (mail apps etc).
    – you can do clever stuff with multiple mail aliases, custom DNS, virtual domains, writing your own rules in Sieve etc
    – they have near perfect uptime with support forums and status pages letting you know what’s going on.
    – no one has heard of it so it is rarely blocked.
    – I don’t have Google reading every mail I send.

Bad things:
    – you have to pay and you don’t get much space for your money. (Lite plan is $10pa for 250MB)

Cougar

What sort of shitty firewalls do they have? Alarm bells would be ringing for me.

+1, what a ridiculous concept.

Don’t you have an email address provided by your ISP?

GrahamS

Also don’t you have email on your phone anyway?

geoffj

+2

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gmail, all provided on my phone

Coyote
    Free Member

Sounds *very* strange to me. I’ve heard of blocking access to personal email but never filtering incoming email on such a scale. What line of business are they in?

doh
    Free Member

+2

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE E-MAILING YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS SOME WEB BASED E-MAIL SERVICES ARE BLOCKED BY NHS BORDERS FIREWALL E.G. HOTMAIL AND YAHOO

it’s the NHS I’ve seen it a lot but I have always been able to use the email provided by previous jobs to apply. I’m a postie at the moment so no work email.

Cougar

Ah, I might be able to check that. Hold on.

GrahamS

It’s the NHS

Ah yes. They block fastmail too. In fact they block pretty much every email server out there. It is a “confidentiality” thing as I understand it. Same reason that, in theory, they don’t allow USB sticks except the encrypted ones issued by the trust.

Kind of messed up to block INCOMING mail based on where it was sent from though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah yes. They block fastmail too. In fact they block pretty much every email server out there.

Just use your phone, saves any issues with using works IT for personal reasons and keeps everything separate. Fairly easy.

scotroutes

I assumed the OP was trying to email his application.

Cougar

Yeah.

I’ve just had a chat with a colleague and whilst I’ve no answers I’ve a degree of conjecture (-:

I think I’d be inclined either to ask them what providers they suggest / allow or whether there’s an alternate destination address you can use, or to just try it and then ring to see if they’ve got it (on the basis that the text may be incorrect due to a misunderstanding of their Data Leakage Protection measures).

Failing that, it’s the NHS, ask them for a fax number. There’s a good chance that they’ve modernised sufficiently to have those now.

DezB
    Free Member

I know a non-internet mail provider. Can be a bit slow at times

johnners
    Free Member

IME access to webmail (and all sorts of other stuff) by users is commonly blocked by government IT systems. If you’re just talking about sending an application I’ve not experienced incoming mail blocked, though they can be very finicky about attachments so worth giving them a ring to confirm receipt.

doh
    Free Member

DezB – Member

I know a non-internet mail provider. Can be a bit slow at times

post is a no go if they ever see my handwriting my application would be binned:)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a non web based email provider.’ is closed to new replies.