• This topic has 30 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Doug.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a new chainring for my single speed
  • Big-Dave
    Free Member

I'm currently running a Truvativ Stylo SS crankset with a 38t chain ring. Its a bit of big ring for 29er single speed but I've had fun hammering along on it at high speed all summer. Winter is approaching and I fancy something a bit more manageable for the cold weather. The idea of getting up the hills more quickly also appeals if I'm being honest!

Anybody got any suggestions on what a good replacement would be? Also, would I be able to keep the exisiting chainring bolts?

simondbarnes

Surly stainless steel ring.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Ta,

I thought the Surly rings would be suggested but I was wondering if there were any other alternatives. Despite them looking good I always find Surly bits are a bit of a faff to get hold of. Guess I'll have to see if Charlie the bike monger has any. My LBS is sh%te at getting in one off orders.

poppa
    Free Member

These are pretty cool looking:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/renthal/cnc-hard-anodised-4-arm-chainring-ec019374?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Renthal are an MX component manufacturer moving into MTB parts. What's nice is they are designed and MADE in England! Blimey. Don't know where else you can get em from, haven't googled.

theotherjonv

I've had good life out of my Planet-X / On-one SS SS (that's singlespeed stainless steel) one. Not sure what sizes they do though.

MrSparkle

^ What he said.

Ben_Haworth

I've had an unramped Thorn 32T chainring that's holding up very very well after a couple of years.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

email me – I can make whatever you want in Stainless or ally & cheaper than a surly ring.

ihavemine at googlemail DOT com

something plain knocked up as a test piece – more blingy bits coming soon…

I use Thorn chainrings on both my Rohloff bikes.
    No shift ramps and the bolt holes are recessed on both sides so they are reversible.

speaker2animals

Fitted a Goldtec 34t on my SS a few months ago. Very solid ally, blinking cheap and made in Staffordshire. Google BETD or Goldtec.

singlespeedstu

Or something a bit nicer.

Mackem

Crotchet, can you do a 30T middle ring?

martinh
    Free Member

Given up trying to get Boones. Even the new supplier seems to be having problems.

I quite like the look of the E-13 Guide rings.

avdave2

I got 3 years from my Thorn ring before reversing it and I only did that because I was changing the chain.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Guess I'll have to see if Charlie the bike monger has any.

I got a Salsa 32T one from Charlie, looks good, fits well, cant fault it for £25.

sslowpace
    Free Member

+1 fot the E13 guide ring. Very good and never dropped the chain on my 1×8.

Love my Boone rings, but they are stupidly difficult to get still

ChrisF
    Free Member

Get something in stainless steel. Don't worry who you get it from, it's stainless steel, it's a chainring – end of. Pay a bit more for something nice looking and vice versa.

I have used numerous so called hard-wearing aluminium rings over the years and they all wear out quicker than a steel one, which is obvious really. I did get taken in by some of the reports on here of how 'brand xyz blingy aluminium' rings last ages, they don't.

devs
    Free Member

Will I die if I use a normal Deore 32t ring or does it have to be one with no ramps etc?

poppa
    Free Member

I still reckon these look nice & industrial.

miketually
    Free Member

I've a Surly and an On-One, both are running well.

Will I die if I use a normal Deore 32t ring or does it have to be one with no ramps etc?

I tried this. I'm still alive, but had loads of problems with skipping chains which switching to an On-One ring solved.

ChrisF
    Free Member

I've never used a ramped ring on my singlespeed. I wouldn't risk it having once had a chain come off on a steep grunty climb.

poppa
    Free Member

@ChrisF

Too much fibre?

'pologies.

Seamus
    Free Member

DeVs – Member

I use a standard 39T Shimano ramped ring with no issues. I cant see how the pins can interfere with the chain on a single speed.

poppa
    Free Member

I think the problem with ramped rings is that they are designed for the chain to easily slip off and on again, as you would want with front gear shifts. This makes it slightly more likely for the chain to fall off if for any reason it experiences sideways forces.

ChrisF
    Free Member

poppa – Member

@ChrisF

Too much fibre

Que?

It may be right that ramped rings don't work any differently. Don't they have some teeth shorter than others to help with changing?

miketually
    Free Member

It's not the ramps and pins that are the problem, it's the shorter teeth.

waveydavey
    Free Member

Middleburn chain rings are worth a look.

Light and well made.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Hmm…decisions, decisions. I've kinda opened the flood gates for suggestions here. Thanks for the ideas, I'll give it some thought and then get the credit card out.

MrTall
    Free Member

Second the BETD Goldtec 34t. Looks nice (although mine is hidden with a bash ring) and is very well made and should last for ages. Bit cheaper than Surly as well i think?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Mackem> 30t rings? Can't imagine any issues – other than the cost of drawing up & running a single piece. Could we build enough demand for a larger run?

Doug
    Free Member

How about a different approach. I got a 180mmFSA X-drive BMX style crankset from CRC for £30 instead of over a ton. Sold the ring and spider for £22 on that auction place then bought a couple of BMX chainrings at £5 a piece in different sizes and a few spares.

They also have 170mm on offer.

Fitting is a bit fiddly as you have to get all the axle spacers in the right place but it is mega strong and stiff.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new chainring for my single speed’ is closed to new replies.