• This topic has 35 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Recommend me a moon a stick…sorry commuting backpack that is bike friendly
  • brexitrefugee
    Free Member

What’s the go-to STW recommendation for a backpack these days for commuting on the bike?

I need something bigger than a Camelback, but not massive.

It will need to take a laptop sometimes, so a pouch is welcome.

I will be riding with a chain gang before work, so it needs to be pretty comfortable.

I really like big hip belts to get the weight off the shoulder.

Must be available in a dark colour/finish, ideally black.

Please deliver your moon on stick wisdom 🙂

weeksy

Does it need a fitted bladder ?

brexitrefugee
    Free Member

No need for a bladder 🙂

Vortexracing

Timbuk2 Especial Raider FTW

scud
    Free Member

i have an Osprey Escapist 25, Mrs Scud got me for last xmas, been great, large enough to carry all my clothes in on a monday morning, separate sleeve for bladder if needed, large main pocket, secondary pocket for tools with sleeve for pump etc. Rain cover stashed in bottom that pulls over, thing on top that will hold helmet if needed, adjustable back etc, etc….

weeksy

Mines a generic Targus one then. Simple, padded, comfy… works well.

djflexure

I use on of these – utilitarian but very good.

Monty messenger

brexitrefugee
    Free Member

Liking the Timbuk2 and Osprey suggestions. The Monty is cool, but won’t work as I don’t want another messenger bag.

Keep ’em coming – thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got one from Decathlon 2 years ago for about 15 quid, It’s fantastic.

pinetree
    Free Member

Sounds like this was made just for you:
    http://www.evocsports.com/products/backpacks/fr-porter-18l

Pricey, but very nice!

hairylegs
    Free Member

A big plus one for the Osprey Escapist … I have two! Long story, but I had 25 litre one that I was using at weekends which I was using leading groups so had all the usual stuff in it (first aid kit, group shelter, repair kit, tools etc) which I didn’t want to carry on my commute and ended up buying an Escapist 18 for the commute.

Can’t fault it at all

philtricklebank

I picked up a £35 Vango Boulder 45 few months ago. Laptop pouch, ports for a bladder (not included), waist belt, rain cover. Commute with it but also used it on big mountain family days out in Lakes and alps where carrying lots of kit, and first aid is useful.

brexitrefugee
    Free Member

Jeez – the Evoc is seriously pricey, but it does fulfil the brief very well! Wish I hadn’t seen that now…

bob_summers

I do pretty much the same – 2h training run on the way in, often with 15″ laptop, books, flask of veggie slop, work clothes, spare riding gear for coming home in if wet. All of which has to stay dry.

I use the small version of this http://www.bagaboo.hu/en/catalogue/jumbo-rolltop-backpack

You can have them make it as black as you want (mine’s dark green). I also got some extra bits added like foam inserts, laptop sleeve etc.

Lead time was a few weeks, but they usually have some off the shelf. It’s a year old now, looks brand new.. bombproof.

DezB
    Free Member

I just bought a One Industries Sprocket backback off Sport Pursuit – it has a laptop pocket as well as other useful compartments. Don’t use it on the bike but (they are a biking company!) I couldn’t believe how comfortable it was on my back when I wore it!
    Dunno if SportPursuit allow linking to pics – it’s only £30 inc p&p too –

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Chap at my work has one of these. I like it:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-giga-bike-rucksack/

benp1

I’d probably go for something from Osprey. But I hate commuting with a rucksack, always on the bike for me

Maybe think about the ventilated back panel ones too?

Have you tried bags with a proper hip belt when riding? Sounds uncomfortable

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

I have just got one of these

Osprey Radial 34

Ventilated back, pockets a plenty.

So far, so brilliant. very very well thought through. Quite long but manageable.
    I use it everyday and will use at weekends for trips too.

TM

brexitrefugee
    Free Member

I’ve got an Osprey bladder/camel back thing that has big straps and it is fantastic – wore it on the Dunwich Dynamo and was way more comfortable than I had any right to be over 200km on a silly racing bike.

Buzzard
    Free Member

if you are looking at the Evoc, then also take a look at the Mission Workshop bag. They are amazing in the flesh – I just cannot get over the price (YET)
    Arkiv® Modular System

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m running an Osprey Axis18 as a commute pack. Strictly it’s a walking type daypack not a cycle bag although it’s done me proud the last two years of daily grind. Comes in nice colours too (unlike the Osprey cycle specific bags that seem to come in boring or boring regardless of being excellent bags)

I keep meaning to check out a messenger style, but always shy away at the last minute- by the time they’re on your back and strapped out of the way of the back wheel and not swinging around like a big yellow bag of Sunday newspapers, I’m really not sure how it would be much cooler than a backpack…

ianpv
    Free Member

Another vote for the escapist – I’ve got the 25 which I use for all sorts of things – bikepacking, commuting, days out etc. It’s very versatile and the inner (large) pocket has a zipped divider which is great for keep wet and dry stuff apart.

I wouldn’t fancy my local chaingang with a commuting bag on though! 😯

TiRed

Deuter Road EXP. Expands from 12 to 18L, good fit to the back, can be ridden in a road position for fast group riding, yellow raincover, side mesh pockets, helmet carrier. Love mine. Not the largest, but will take a laptop, shirt, underwear and a bladder if needed. I use it for off road instead of a Camelback as well.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I’ve been using a DHB Slice 25l for the last few years. It’s designed with commuting in mind and is incredibly well thought out with lots or compartments and pockets to organise and store. There’s a 30l version on the Wiggle web site which you should fit a laptop into. I especially like the hip belt pockets which you can access without removing the pack itself. It gives quick access to things like keys and my work pass so I don’t have to faff around when it’s raining. It’s fairly resistant to showers and light rain but there is built in rain cover for longer downpours. Considering mine is used 5 days a week and is getting on for 4 years old it shows no signs of wear and tear and is in very good condition.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mission workshop all the way for me, I’ve a few of their bags, -love them.

But how about this?

Vulpine…

benp1

Rapha pack is also quite popular (I commute in London…)

Buzzard
    Free Member

That Vulpine looks cracking for the price, but would be need to see it up close.

Superficial
    Free Member

Another vote for Osprey here. They do loads of sizes from too small to way too big so you’ll definitely did one that suits. Mine is very lightweight but has held up well over several years of use (mainly commuting). It’s got a vented back/hip belt so nice and comfy. Can’t remember the model number, think it’s 22l though.

angeldust
    Free Member

I need something bigger than a Camelback, but not massive.

Camelbaks come in big range of sizes. What sort of capacity are you looking for?

timb34
    Free Member

If it’s for road riding then you might not need a waist belt (and “not massive” should mean that you’ll never be carrying that much..)

I recently went as minimal as possible with a Timbuk2 Raider. Not waterproof, no waist strap and light enough to make me think it’s fragile but there’s 18l so enough room for shirt/pants/trousers and shoes or laptop (don’t usually carry these last two), surprisingly comfortable straps and it’s just the right size and shape to stay in place and out of the way when on the drops. And it’s machine washable for when it gets whiffy. Much nicer to use for half an hour’s road commute than the Camelbak I had before, as there isn’t a big stiff back and a lot of un-needed pockets and straps.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Osprey do a nice one (can’t remember the model), the pack is kept away from your back to reduce sweating back. It’s comfy and has loads of space.

core

Something by Dakine

Clover

I had a Mission Workshop backpack to review. The exchange rate will make them eye watering at the moment but it was unbelievably well balanced and comfortable with a waistband and impervious to all the weather. No ingress despite all the rain in Yorkshire – I had complete confidence in it keeping precious Mac safe even when it was lashing it down.

brooess
    Free Member

Ortlieb
    Waterproof
    Bombproof

Sanny
    Free Member

Alpkit Gourdon 20 – cheap, comfy, waterproof and very simple. Love mine!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a moon a stick…sorry commuting backpack that is bike friendly’ is closed to new replies.