• This topic has 17 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by stox.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a good cycling adventure book please!
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

Thank you!

brakes
    Free Member

MrFannay
    Free Member

Anything by Bettina Selby after reading ‘riding the mountains down’ I signed up for a charity ‘Ride the Nile’ trip in 1996 then in 1998 did the Himalayas to the Taj Mahal all thanks to her inspiration

Oh and the round the world book by Mark Beaumont is amazing

midlifecrashes

Just read “The Hungry Cyclist” by Tom Kevill-Davies. Not a whole lot about the cycling, but a good read and some handy recipes.

Nick

The Adventure Cycle Touring Handbook does what it says on the tin, has some good advice, plus some stories from people who have gone off and done it.

GrahamS

More folly than adventure, but worth a read.

hooja
    Free Member

+1 for french revolutions…brilliant read

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

any of the nick crane books from the 80’s, journey to the centre of the earth is good as is the one where they go up killimanjaro on saracens. track em’ down on ebay.

rewski
    Free Member

I enjoyed the books below on tour divide and iditarod race:
    Two wheels on my wagon – Paul Howard
    Ghost trails – Jill homer
    Be brave – Jill homer

Bear
    Free Member

Three men on a bike.

MartynS

Mark Beaumont and his record breaking ride around the world is a great read.

mrdestructo

I’m sure there’s a few Famous Five novels that might be due a revisit. Buy them “for the kids, honest!”

beej

Both the Jill Homer books are good – she’s a journo by trade, and it shows in that she can actually write a good tale.

So many cycling adventure books are about amazing trips, but poorly written.

bencooper
    Free Member

Anything by Josie Dew
    Round the World on a Wheel – John Foster Fraser

alexpalacefan

Avoid “Cycling Home from Siberia”. Dull, dull, dull.

+1 for French Revolutions, it manages to sum up the French and the Tour in one. Oh, and it’s funny too 🙂

APF

johnny_met
    Free Member

Dividing the Great is a good read

epicsteve
    Free Member

Mark Beaumont and his record breaking ride around the world is a great read.

I thought it was ok but wouldn’t have called it a great read. I prefer books by the likes of Josie Dew as she interacts far more with the countries she visits. Mark Beaumont was on a mission to beat the round the world record and a lot of the time that meant it didn’t matter much where he was – it was all about getting the mileage in and finding enough to eat and drink.

plumber
    Free Member

Alistair Humphries 2 books about his round the world trip is about as good as its get for me.

stox
    Free Member

I second plumbers comment – thunder & sunshine. I’ve had 4 non-biker people read my copies and loved it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good cycling adventure book please!’ is closed to new replies.