Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 362 total)
  • Riding on Low (zero) carb diet
  • legspin
    Free Member

Tom my mail is hall-s at sky dot com drop me a message about a ride in the Peak.

tomhughes
    Free Member

will do!
    The same goes for anyone from the Leciester area who wants to take me to cannock or somewhere else good!

Solo
    Free Member

I don’t think that carbs are evil or anything but when I think of what my diet used to be like it’s a bit scary. I wouldn’t go as far as the Paleo theory that we’re not designed to eat them but I don’t think we were designed to eat the kind of junk food that gets pushed at us now full of additives and bulking agents and gums and allsorts. The grains we eat now are not what our grandparents would have eaten.

LMP.
    Firstly, I’m sorry to learn that you have / are suffering coeliac disease and Chrohns.

I agree, carbs aren’t evil, but it would seem that people are consuming too many an gaining weight.
    Paleolithic woman/man had some carbs in their diet.
    Esp, as iDave points out, during that one month a year when they happened to discover a tree or bush laden with fruit.

Our paleolithic ancestors had a sweet tooth too, and would gorge themselves on a sweeter fruit, from a well laden tree or bush, should they have found one.

BUT !, that would be eating in season, for a short period of time.
    Not like today when you can buy fruit in Tesco in December…

I agree with you.
    For me, Grains are out.
    Its perhaps too much to go into here, but there are so many facets to the story of how grains became so entrenched into our diets.

ton

i am using the primal plan for a lot of my menus/recipes now.
    i am not eating too many beans to be honest, they are the only part of the idiet i cant get on with.
    but i am not doing a lot of exercise, so maybe i am lucky i dont need to many carbs.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Is someone able to answer how glycogen stores are replenished on a low carb diet?
    Is it merely a matter of our metabolism converting other nutrients into the required carbs?

Also, is lactose free milk or soya milk acceptable (in tea for example)on the iDave?

I was kindly sent a link to info on the iDave diet and im very keen to give it a go. Is there any more web based info on the science behind the diet and how the ‘fill your boots’ day affects the outcome?

slimjim78
    Free Member

and im prepared to be shot down here, but do Heinz baked beans count as a legume/valid bean?.. far too much sugar I presume?

If no good, how about the diabetic version?

DT78
    Free Member

Didn’t the average caveman die in their early 20’s so isn’t all this comparison to their diet a bit bollox?

And Nick asked me a question back some pages, to be fair, I’m not seeing any particular weight loss with my training program, but then again my aim is not to loose weight but to get faster which is how I’m measuring progress, and I don’t have much weight to loose (maybe a couple of beer pounds…)

Solo
    Free Member

think you have – the primal blueprint is high protein and low carb. Mark advises you to avoid legumes in particular, whereas iDave advises you to eat a lot of legumes to get your (slow) carbs.

With respect, iDave diet advocates the consumption of lean meat while consuming lower GI foods.
    So I see quite a lot of similarity between the two.

As Ton points out, if anything, the glaring difference between MDA and the iDave diet is fruit.

Mark allows a fair degree of lee way in his food choices
    As would be consistent with the hunter gatherer that paleolithic man was.

But I can’t forget Dr Lustig’s presentation wrt to Fructose, the fruit sugar.

i am using the primal plan for a lot of my menus/recipes now.

Theres no ignoring the fact that the MDA site has a lot of recipe suggestions there.
    A topic that has generated threads on STW, with people asking about iDave diet compliant recipes.
    I’d suggest selecting the more iDave diet compliant reciepes, from those listed on MDA.

i am not eating too many beans to be honest, they are the only part of the idiet i cant get on with.

I’m the same. I just couldn’t do the beans.
    But I found a useful tip on MDA…
    Lots of plants and animals

That one line ^^^ complies with the iDave diet and MDA.
    WIN ?

but i am not doing a lot of exercise, so maybe i am lucky i dont need to many carbs

Its just my own mission, but I have sought to find a way to control my body weight, without relying on exercise to trim-off those excess pounds of lard.
    Don’t get me wrong, I like to cycle.
    But I ride, for the ride.
    Not to lose an inch off the midrift.

FWIW, Ton, I think you’re doing a great job.
    It will be trial and error, perhaps, for a while.
    But iDave will no doubt help out when he can.

Keep up the good work.

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

Is someone able to answer how glycogen stores are replenished on a low carb diet?
    Is it merely a matter of our metabolism converting other nutrients into the required carbs?

I won’t pretend that I understand the chemistry but :

The body can convert glycerol to glucose but it prefers to use amino acids for gluconeogenesis.

“Oxidation of fatty acids yields enormous amounts of energy on a molar basis, however, the carbons of the fatty acids cannot be utilized for net synthesis of glucose. The two carbon unit of acetyl-CoA derived from b-oxidation of fatty acids can be incorporated into the TCA cycle, however, during the TCA cycle two carbons are lost as CO2. Thus, explaining why fatty acids do not undergo net conversion to carbohydrate.

The glycerol backbone of lipids can be used for gluconeogenesis. This requires phosphorylation to glycerol-3-phosphate by glycerol kinase and dehydrogenation to dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP) by glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase(G3PDH). The G3PDH reaction is the same as that used in the transport of cytosolic reducing equivalents into the mitochondrion for use in oxidative phosphorylation. This transport pathway is called the glycerol-phosphate shuttle. The glycerol backbone of adipose tissue stored triacylgycerols is ensured of being used as a gluconeogenic substrate since adipose cells lack glycerol kinase. In fact adipocytes require a basal level of glycolysis in order to provide them with DHAP as an intermediate in the synthesis of triacyglycerols.”

http://web.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking…eogenesis.html
    http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/glycogen.php

Yes basically, your body can synthesise fat from carbs & synthesise glycogen from fat (and protein?) I think is how it goes, I am definitely not a biochemist, perhaps one will pop up and explain it in simple terms – I don’t think it can be explained in simple terms though.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Totally inspired by some of the ideas offered on this thread.
    I think im set on my way to a much lower carb life, and my choice of cooking oils is now set.
    I’m seeing carbs now as a suppliment to an active lifestyle, used wisely for recovery.

And frankly, iDave seems the answer to my prayers. 1 day of whatever I want to eat? Splendid.

Solo
    Free Member

SJ78.

Good luck.

I’ve enjoyed you’re thread.

Thanks to iDave, Tom, IBL, et al.
    😀

staralfur
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    Didn’t the average caveman die in their early 20’s so isn’t all this comparison to their diet a bit bollox?

Posted 13 hours ago #

They also lived in caves or outside and had various forms of predators after them a lot of the time. We don’t really have this nowadays, unless you live in Liverpool of course.
    They also didn’t have access to the medical care that we (mostly) enjoy.

staralfur
    Free Member

Solo – Member
    Also, I’ve taken to frying in butter after learning that heating EVO to high, destroys its omega 3 content.

Seeing as I do not measure or monitor the temperature of the oil I’m frying with.

I’ve just switched over to butter.

I tried coconut oil once, and had a mild reaction.
    So looks like I can’t use coconut oil.

Regarding butter, not sure if it’s been covered or not and i’m not reading back, but you want to go for proper grassfed butter, something like Kerrygold. To make it even better again, clarify it to get rid of the dairy elements an dyou are left with the most amazing tasting, golden nectar of pure fat.

MSP

I think if the average cavemen made it into adulthood, then they stood a fair chance of living to old age. Like any era until medical science actually started to have a big effect, the infant mortality rates massively skewed the average life expectancy figures.

Solo
    Free Member

I kinda ignored the caveman mortality comment.

I didn’t and don’t want this thread over heating
    😉

For me, this has been a great thread, thanks to iDave, Tom and IBL as well as others.

For the record, when people first encounter the principals of the paleolithic diet in whatever form its been presented to them.
    They often, rightly, raise this question.

” If cavemen were so healthy on their diet, how come they never reached 30yrs of age ? “

My, lazy answer is that, lots of people follow a paleo style diet today and they seem happy enough.

I see similarities between the iDave diet and a diet set along paleo diet lines and I guess theres no harm in experimenting.

😀

Solo
    Free Member

Staralfur.

Thanks for that.

At the moment I’m happy frying with the butter.
    But I note that clarified butter / ghee, is more widely used in asian cooking.

So, are they onto something ?.

Tom has made me think hard about giving coconut oil another go.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Began to read ‘The Diet Delusion’ last night as advocated by Tom. Three chapters in and I am amazed at the revalations on the validity of the low fat recommendations.

This book may be a life changer, seek it out.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i eat nothing but eggs, tuna and eccles cakes. i blame iJamie.

matt_geordie
    Free Member

As Ton points out, if anything, the glaring difference between MDA and the iDave diet is fruit.

The only thing to add to that is MDA advises on low GI fruit, i.e. mainly berries because these also carry a lot of antioxidants. They also recommend certain fruits over others and eating them whole to get the fibre too, not just fruit juice which is pure sugar.

Liking this thread!

Clover

Great thread, loving it. Please can I come on the dietary discussion ride? No qualifications apart from love of butter, cooking and default food intake being low gi, low on processed food and simple carbs. Find that cycling makes me desire and use more simple carbs (tangfastic haribo, cake anyone?) than I have ever before which is slightly doing my whole food ‘no junk here please’ head in. I am not worried about my bmi or anything, and I am as good as I should be for the amount of riding I do, just interested in the insulin cycle and what’s happening.

Solo
    Free Member

Clover.

Hi. So what are you wanting ?.
    🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

. Find that cycling makes me desire and use more simple carbs (tangfastic haribo, cake anyone?)

I’m finding similar atm too – except after a race, all i want is crisps. I hate crisps and never touched them until recently (it must have been at least 5 years if not more since i last had crisps) yet can put away a huge bag in seconds after a race! 👿

phil.w
    Free Member

But I note that clarified butter / ghee, is more widely used in asian cooking.

So, are they onto something ?.

The main reason for clarifying butter is to raise the temp at which it burns, so better for frying with.

In your research for oils/butter for cooking with have you looked into cocoa butter for frying? How does this fit in? It’s 100% natural, full of fat…

DGOAB – could that be to do with salt cravings?

Solo
    Free Member

. Find that cycling makes me desire and use more simple carbs (tangfastic haribo, cake anyone?)
    I’m finding similar atm too – except after a race, all i want is crisps. I hate crisps and never touched them until recently (it must have been at least 5 years if not more since i last had crisps) yet can put away a huge bag in seconds after a race!

I see two things here.

Hunger after exercise.
    Food choices.

As discussed earlier in this thread.
    You can go ride a bike straight after getting up in the morning.
    Without needing to stuff sugary things down your neck before setting out.
    If your ride is beyond a certain distance / intensity, then perhaps during the ride, you may need to take on some carbs.

However, its also been mentioned that consuming some carbs after your ride, will help your body / muscles, recover from your activity, sooner.

As you might expect.
    There will likely be an optimum amount of carbs to consume after exercise, to recover sooner.
    This will vary from person to person, I’m thinking, for a few reasons.

BUT, if you’re like me and you just bimble along for a 2 hour ride.
    Theres probably no need to consume any carbs, after that ride.

Also, I’d guess that a lot of folk probably consume more carbs than they need for recovery purposes.
    But who doesn’t like a post ride pastry or pint, right ?.
    😀
    So theres your carb consumption during or after a ride, whatever.
    But bare in mind we’re trying to lose weight here.
    😉

The other part is food choices when we’re hungry.
    I’m fascinated by the way certain hormones will influence what we seek out to eat, when we’re hungry.

On an empty stomach, the hormone Ghrelin will be produced.
    My reading has sometimes referred to Ghrelin as the ” hunger hormone “.
    As far as I’ve read, Ghrelin has been observed to significantly influence a persons food choice on an empty stomach.

This might explain DGoAB’s experience ????.

Clover

Knowledge, solo, knowledge…. Really interested in the statement about insulin blocking the use of energy stores. I used not to be able to eat sugars, cake or white bread – they made me feel sick or drunk, particularly if hungry – but I have taken to eating the most astonishing food (for me) eg the morning after my first 140km bike ride for breakfast I had cereal then, still hungry, hard boiled egg, two honey waffles, a slice of pizza, little cubes of aged gouda, mini cherry tomatoes and, er, a chocolate Danish – ie virtually everything the Belgian garage had on offer). This is not the quinoa salad of my dreams… But then we did the Koppenberg and a few other climbs over 75km and I was fine. What has cycling done to me?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Solo, i’m talking about racing – hard as i possibly can/faster than i thought i could etc. My normal diet is healthy and works for me. Post normal exercise, i’d carry on with that. But anything i pack to eat post race is the last thing i want and i find myself craving things like crisps, or a steak (i don’t eat meat!). After sunday’s race (a PB of 21mph) after the crisps were gone, all i wanted was green leafy veg!

Clover –

Really interested in the statement about insulin blocking the use of energy stores

What post was that in? I’d quite like to read that bit

Clover

Dgoab I think it’s partly the salt in crisps. They get me like that (although I do like them anyway, but much more so in presence of bike) plus when cycling I find myself adding salt to food when I used never to put it on anything.

Clover

Dgoab it is halfway down page 3 – tomhughes posting. That’s before the ‘best fats’ guide (pages 4-5) and the ”diet and arrhythmias and epilepsy’ discussion page 6 moving onto lifespan of caveman and woman…

Solo
    Free Member

virtually everything the Belgian garage had on offer
    😆

Paints an amusing picture.
    Reminds me of when Chipps described having the bonk and recalled riding straight into the cafe tent at an event, in a quest for FOOD, all the food he could get for £5.
    Which he then proceeded to fall asleeep infront of.
    Made me laugh for days afterwards, imagining that scene.
    😆

From you post, looks like you’re already on the Low GI food thing.
    So if your weight is good, you are active and have enough energy for the exercise you choose.
    Then you sound as if you’re already sorted.
    🙂

Solo
    Free Member

DGOAB.
    I’m learning too.
    The real knowledge is with iDave, Tom and IBL, by the looks of it ^^^
    But I have come to think Ghrelin has a part to play in when we eat and what we choose.
    😉

Really interested in the statement about insulin blocking the use of energy stores

Right, be gentle with me, I am stretching what I think I know.

Reading the other night about adipose tissue (body fat).
    Apparently it has receptors which by the sounds of things are like the locks on our body fat.
    IIRC receptors are a2 and b2.
    I think that when insulin is released into the blood stream, it suppresses the body’s ability to access its stored fat using these receptor.
    So, if you’re having an insulin spike, then you can’t burn any body fat.
    I also believe that when insulin is at a very, very low level in the blood.
    Then the process to unlock your body fat can engage.

Hence why, if you take that early morning hop on an empty stomach.
    Your body will just continue to access your stored fat.
    Eat something sugary and the situation changes and the glucose thats now in your blood should be used for energy.

As I said. Be gentle.
    🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DGOAB – don’t pay attention to cavemen just pay attention to your own body.

Not everyone needs the strict rules enforced by following a regime, or a ‘diet’ as prescribed in these threads. You’re not fat, you enjoy exercise and you don’t seem to need the crutch like others may do.

You should probably eat some steak though 😉

Solo
    Free Member

Not everyone needs the strict rules

Which is why the iDave diet and similar, is successful at what it is designed to do.

😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Solo – do you think you obsess about your diet a little too much? Or have I misunderstood you?

Solo
    Free Member

Post what you like TSY.

I feel I’m among like minded people here on this thread who have an interest in what their bodies do with the food they consume.

I wasn’t aware I was upsetting anyone.

I’ll be off then.

cinnamon_girl

Could I ask for some advice please? I will be having surgery and off the bike for around 6 weeks, boo hoo. How can I cook some nutritious food with the use of only one arm? I am happy with salad but suspect I will be craving variety.

Thanks in anticipation. 🙂

Yeti – not a nice comment! Pot kettle … ? 😉

iDave
    Free Member

This is blog by Pro Tim Noakes, one of the worlds most respected exercise physiologists, which might be of interest. He’s an ultra runner too.

Guest Blog by Professor Timothy Noakes – A comment on ‘Good Calories, Bad Calories’ and ‘Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It’

FieldMarshall

Hi CG,

Just a thought but if you have a freezer & a microwave, why not spend some time pre-op cooking up a whole load of nutritious meals and then freezing them.

Alternatively you can get fairly healthy freefrom “boil in the bag” meals from waitrose etc, that would be simple to re-heat. But not cheap.

Otherwise you just gonna have to get good at holding a knife with your foot and getting your leg up on the worktop! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CG – there is a series of simple gadgets available for one handed cooking. Perhpas try to get some contact with an occupational therapist who should be able to help

crikey
    Free Member

CG, you need someone to pop round and feed you grapes every night…

Also, get some custard, peel banana, dip banana in custard, eat.

tomhughes
    Free Member

I am really pleased with how this thread has turned out. And I am so glad that so many of you have got something out of the discussions.

The bottom line is food is not just food. Many have often labelled it as simply nutrition and whilst this is its primary aim the way it provides this and the affect it has on the body varies massively.

The second key point is that we all must become more familar with what we are eating and why. We must no longer take for granted that food produced for us can do us no harm and that these companies must have tested their products and deemed them safe for consumption. Many of the foods we eat today did not exist in their current form even 10 years ago (such as hydrogenated oils instead of butter). As I eluded to above there is a shift towards whatever is cheapest with no regard for our health.

Knowledge costs nothing and whilst sometimes it may be hard to wade through all the so called evidence if you choose your sources wisely (i.e. not the daily mail) you will find that most learned forward thinking people come to the same conclusions.
    And I must reiterate the point earlier that money spent here will be saved and then some in later life.
    What do you think a heart disease patient who can barely get out of bed would say to them if I said I could make them healthy again if they could offer me enough money…they would remortgage their house.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 362 total)

The topic ‘Riding on Low (zero) carb diet’ is closed to new replies.