Home Forums Chat Forum Recommend me a garage door

• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a garage door
  • 5lab
    Free Member

Having an extension done which involves a new garage door. The wishlist is

Side hinged (1/3 / 2/3)
    Secure (not in a dodgy area, but needs to withstand a scrote with a crowbar)
    Warm (insulated, potentially sealed to the floor)
    I’m going to guess at metal based on the above
    At some point we may want a kit car in there, so blocking most of it up isn’t an option

What can you recommend? Builders are going to be fitting it so need to point them to a supplier

timba
    Free Member

Style of the house, existing doors, etc?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I bought Carteck from Arridge Garage Doors in 2019 and fitted it myself – very happy with it.

Made to measure and fitted a supplied letter box flap thing FOC.

Carteck 40mm thick twin walled and insulated side hinged garage door set with pre-installed goalpost fixing frame and threshold. High quality stainless steel lever/lever handles, mortice lock with keys (active leaf), flush shoot bolts top and bottom (inactive leaf) and telescopic door stays included. All round rubber seals. Made to measure.

Model : Horizontal Solid

Finish : Smooth

Colour : White

Size (exact external frame size) : 2225mm wide x 2110mm high

Split and hinged: 2/3 1/3 (approx.) split and right hand leaf leading when viewed from outside

3 no. type I circular windows (610mm x 270mm); 2 windows in 2/3 leaf; 1 window in 1/3 leaf; windows arranged horizontally*; panes in satin finish

Heavy duty raised aluminium threshold. Bottom of door leaves close into a soft rubber lined rebate for improved security and draught proofing

Delivery

Supply only price = £1500 inc VAT

flicker
    Free Member

Latham’s steel doors

https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/security-garage-doors/side-hinged-garage-door/

I’ve had one of their side doors for six years now, good solid door and weathering well so far. When I get round to it I’ll be changing our up and over for a side hinged pair.

5lab
    Free Member

Thanks! I’d forgotten style! From that perspectice looking at traditional, it’s a mock 30s house in a recent cul de sac, so all the other garages are wooden doors. This kinda thing

Link if that image doesn’t work
    https://www.ndcgaragedoors.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/PICTURE368.jpg

mattyfez

Up and over electric door?

Takes a bit if headroom away though for the rails… what sort of garage is it, flat roof/pitched? single or double?

robertajobb

We got a new Teckentrup ‘Carteck’ garage door at the end of last year.  Ours is a sectional door, not side hinged, but the panel construction is based on the same idea.  A laminated sandwich of steel, foam, and steel, with a laminated front face with whatever colour and pattern you choose.

Certainly happy with it – feels decent quality construction, fits the hole well, and the detached garage is certainly warmer and far less damp than with the previous single layer steel up-and-over, due to a whole lot less exchange of damp outside air each day/night.

Had a matching side door whilst we were at it.

Wasn’t cheap (about £2.8k with a remote powered open/close) fitted by the supplier,  but decided we’re in this place til we’re in a wooden box or a care home, so doing it once.

5lab
    Free Member

thanks for the tips so far. We don’t really want up and over as the 1/3 side will be used really often as a pedestrian door, we don’t really to open the whole space up to everyone walking past every time

alchiltern
    Free Member

Second recommendation for Cartek. We’ve got a side hung 50/50 door but they can make what you need. Paid a bit extra for high security multi point locking. It’s well mad and really solid, would take a determined effort to break though I think.

We had the door textured and powder coated to match the front door also.

Not cheap, but when compared with the cost of flimsy single skin steel alternatives, I think it’s pretty good value. Think we paid £2400 delivered, our builder fitted it but it’s diyable.

alchiltern
    Free Member
    Daffy

Have you considered a side sectional garage door.  You can create a fake wall into which the garage door slides so you only lose around 100-150mm of space from a part of one side.  They’re usually 40mm thick, insulated and cant be forced.  You can then open as much or as little of it as you want and it can still be electric.

z1ppy

I had sectional garage door from the guys Birmingham Industrial & Garage Doors | BGID , a number of years ago and it stood the test of time, though a local installer got it for me cheaper.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.