Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recomend me a Fatbike!
  • crush83
    Free Member

Hay guys,

I fancy a fatbike for this year’s winter duties. Just want something fun . Not gonna be racing or bike packing just using it for work and messing about on the beach, in the woods type thing.

Got about 1k – 1500 max to spend

I like the pugsly spec ops and the charge cooker maxi.

What elce is out there?

z1ppy
    Duffer
    Free Member

You being serious? 😕

m0rk
    Free Member

I’ve got a cooker maxi. Apart from the brakes which failed (disintegrated) on the first proper ride (replaced with Shimano) it’s been ace.

Lots of fun in it’s first dry and dusty run yesterday, including some PB’s on familiar trail where normally my FS is quickest.

Lots of looks, and people want to talk, point & stare so if you’re shy & retiring you might not want it

I chose the charge over the on-one because I wasn’t a fan of the low frame height on the on-one, and the rims were already drilled on the charge. Vain I know

crush83
    Free Member

Yes Duffer. But it won’t be a SS lol you hero haha

Cool, I like the idea of the maxi, give me something to upgrade too!

crush83
    Free Member
    crush83
    Free Member

Nice bike, just need my Orange to sell….

Hanky

I’m also ‘fat curious’ and after a Beargease Carbon or Borealis Echo in a few months. Does anyone have any experience of these two? Realise they are quite niche.

It would be used properly, sand (lots of it where I live in ME) and Canadian Winters.

AlexSimon

Tim @ Sideways Cycles has the Beargrease Carbon and the Borealis Carbon in stock at the moment. Maybe he could help decide?

clunker

It’s nearly summer?

I would look at a 29+

singlespeedstu

I’ll have a medium Fatback frame and carbon fork for sale soon if you’re interested.
    Both in first class condition and can take 29+ wheels.

Ringo
    Free Member

Which fatbike is it stu?

singlespeedstu

18″ Fatback alloy 170mm frame with Fatback 135mm carbon fork.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ebkfmb]2013_0414Fatback0008[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

gee
    Free Member

I’ve had a Beargrease carbon since the new year. It’s amazing how it redefines what you do whilst riding; you have to readjust how you approach roots and rocks. The weight is good, 28lbs on digital scales with a few tweaks to my X9 version. The BB7 brakes on the stock bike got sold and replaced with the new Deore hydros, tyres got made tubeless and I added a carbon bar/post.

If you want to chat happy to Skype or something.

GB

crush83
    Free Member

Hi stu, how much you looking at for the frame and fork?

singlespeedstu

Not sure.
    Need to see how much it cost me/ see if anyone else has sold one.

Feel free to make me an offer though.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

If it’s beach work, Salsa Mukluk get’s my vote as it’s Alu over steel.

On One Fatty is more trail orientated, but does the job with money to spare.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Got to say, but I love my 9:Zero:7..
    Fancy some carbon forks for it tho..

crush83
    Free Member

I do like the 9 zero 7s but they are way out of my price range

akira

Love my Fatty, hate the new carbon forks selling out instantly.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

On One Fatty here. It’s brilliant and will be even better when I finally get one of their carbon forks. Have you had a look over on the ukfatbikes.co.uk classifieds? Often some great bargains there.

coastkid
    Free Member

On One Fatty on Bike to Work scheme is half price of the basic Pugsley/Mukluk offerings, but they aint twice as good, though the Floater tyres are pretty useless on dry sand i found.
    You really don`t want a carbon bike for beachriding, wait till you bin it on greasy rocks- least the shredded bits will float 😆

Alloy will also corrode just as much as steel if untreated to salt water exposure, just look at stuff lying about on the coast to see that!,

Buy a cheap secondhand Pugsley then get a 29+ Rabbit hole wheel set, the Surly 29+ rims and tyres aint cheap but the rims have proved to be bombproof, get 2 bikes in one 😉

epicyclo

coastkid – Member
    …Buy a cheap secondhand Pugsley then get a 29+ Rabbit hole wheel set, the Surly 29+ rims and tyres aint ch

Bloody Surly fanbois…

BUT he’s right. 🙂

Oh, and make sure you read Coastkid’s rustproofing procedures and your bike will last forever.

scotroutes

Wait for the updated version/lower-priced version of the Genesis Caribou that’ll be along in a couple of months.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a Fatbike!’ is closed to new replies.