Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • Recent Sci-Fi films you have enjoyed/endured
  • Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Another Wyndham fan here. The Kraken Wakes would make a great movie if they set it in the 50’s/60’s like the book. Proper end of the world stuff. The way the story starts, innocuous events here and there, slowly adding up. The tension when the two guys go down in the bathyscape still makes my hackles rise. The whale and jellyfish attack on the island…..

samunkim
    Free Member

Not recent but
    Dark Star

uponthedowns
    Free Member

All of the Star Trek reboots have been enjoyable and the casting of Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban as Kirk, Spock and McCoy is genius.

garage-dweller

Watched Moon at the weekend.

A few little overtones of 2001 in terms of the shooting style and atmosphere. Really enjoyed it.

I liked the Martian and Oblivion.

Divergent was good too.

MrPottatoHead

Lockout. It’s actually pretty bad but I quite enjoyed it. I seem to be drawn to fairly low budget sci-fi movies, e.g. Spectral (ok), The Darkest Hour (bad).

muddy@rseguy

My votes:

Moon,
    Monsters,
    Arrival,
    The Expanse ( so good I read all the books…)
    Cloverfield ( is it a monster movie? Is it sci fi? Is it a monster/home movie mashup?)
    Pacific Rim ( I love 1960’s Japanese monster movies so this was right up my street)
    Rogue One (a Star Wars film where storm troopers can shoot straight)
    Gravity (thought I’d spend the whole film complaining about plot holes but instead really enjoyed it)
    Under the skin
    District 9

Quite enjoyed ex machina but was wondering why the really smart nerdy head of a tech company hadn’t heard of asimovs three laws of robotics…just applying the first law would have saved him a hell of a lot of trouble.

To be honest, I’d really like someone to make a film of Against a dark background by Iain M Banks.

strawman
    Free Member

Senor J. Chronicles of Riddick. Great film, totally forgot about that one.

Cougar

Talking of Riddick, what about the first one, Pitch Black? That’s ace.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Don’t forget the third one – Riddick.
    I saw The Day After Tomorrow last night for the first time in ages. Excellent effects I thought.

jon1973
    Free Member

District 9 is an excellent piece of work

Can’t think why they still haven’t got around to making a sequel.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Rogue One (a Star Wars film where storm troopers can shoot straight)

Second that, where Episode 7 felt like pure nostalgia, Rogue One, even with all the easter eggs just felt like another film in the same universe rather than lots of “Look, it’s Han Solo”

other than that:

Arrival was good
    Predestination was great considering the amount of notice it got
    I enjoyed The Martian
    And then there is this The Discovery which looks interesting. Sci Fi? maybe not, but I like the concept

jimjam
    Free Member

jon1973

District 9 is an excellent piece of work

Can’t think why they still haven’t got around to making a sequel. [/quote]

Elysium and Chappie are pretty much sequels to D9. Or they are set in a very similar world with robots/aliens as socio-political metaphors for South Africa etc.

Even though Elysium and Chappie were less complete films than District 9 I think it’s better to see fresh ideas and fresh content than the same thing rehashed.

strawman
    Free Member

Pitch black was excellent, the third film Riddick was also excellent.

senorj

Glad it’s not just me then…I only found out about the third Riddick film whilst talking about “the chronicles” at work this week.
    I was quite excited.(I don’t get out much)
    🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

I really enjoyed The Martian. Plenty of humour mixed with cool science.

Forbidden Planet is worthy of the classic tag.

I re watched Contact a couple of months back. Still a good film.

The thing from another world directed by Howard Hawks still stands the test of time. Good use of the theremin too!

I haven’t seen Silent Running in years. I must rewatch it soon.

I loved Explorers as a kid as well as Flight of the Navigator.

Super8 was a true pleasure. When I saw it at the cinema, I immediately wanted to see it again. Real echoes of Spielberg.

The original Day the earth stood still is a regular favourite of mine as is The war of the Worlds from the fifties.

Prometheus was piss poor. I have no doubt that Alien Covenant will be just as crap. I really wish Ridley Scott would kill off the Alien series once and for all. Nowt good since Aliens.

Cheers

Sanny

perchypanther
    Free Member

Under the skin is reasonably good for low budget weirdness

Made even weirder by the fact that some of it was filmed in a local convenience store not far from my house.

That’s the freakiest bit in the film for me.

lapdog
    Free Member

Devash a week ago had the perfect list…is he my doppelgänger? I would only add Bela tarrs ‘the Turin horse’

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Just watched Zero Theorem. Was it any good or pointless 😆

Should watch it back to back with Holy Motors.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The Kraken Wakes would make a great movie if they set it in the 50’s/60’s like the book. Proper end of the world stuff. The way the story starts, innocuous events here and there, slowly adding up. The tension when the two guys go down in the bathyscape still makes my hackles rise. The whale and jellyfish attack on the island…..

Got this the other day after reading this thread, really enjoyed it. Good tip!

DezB
    Free Member

Now hang on.. is no-one really going to admit to seeing Ghost In The Shell??

Ok, I’ll put my hand up. Saw the trailer, liked the look of the Bjork styled Geisha bot thing, liked Scarlett’s body suit (who wouldn’t?) and by golly the film was an utter and complete pile of futuristic dog eggs.
    Won’t go into detail in case anyone is upset by spoilers (SPOILER! The whole film is crap! 😆 )

Did rewatch Guardians of the Galaxy the other night to get over Ghost in the DogTurd and Guardians is great.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was never that struck on the original Ghost in Michelle; I don’t have high hopes for the whiteface version.

Guardians 2 is out by the end of this month. I’ll watch that.

There’s a few trailers around for The Last Jedi. I’m surprised I haven’t seen threads about it.

Lifer
    Free Member

I couldn’t watch it objectively, was a mish mash of things from the original films and the series but watered down in to an emo who am I origin story rather than focusing on the how human am I of the originals.

But I can understand why they went for that angle, the originals can get a bit bogged down.

I don’t think I’ll buy it but I hope they do another one that focuses more on the actual cyber crime side of things a live action remake of Innocence could be good.

IainAhh
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion of Chappie.
    I liked it. Great VFX, impressive seamless CGI from motion capture.

Ex machina was interesting too.

I agree with muddy@rseguy about Asimov’s 3 laws of robotics:

“A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.”

Colony – I am almost at the end of the second TV season which I think is excellent. Not sure if it is really sci-fi but has drones and aliens.

nickc

Saw Ghosts let week. Enjoyed the original. Not at all bothered by the “white-faced” claptrap (see original directors comments)

Film is OK, clearly its been made with love of the original, I think a straight lift would have been problematic I didn’t go in with high hopes but it was a decent stab at it 3.5/5

DezB
    Free Member

“white-faced” claptrap (see original directors comments)

I have no idea what this means.

“Decent” though? Come on! What about the GUNS? Bang bang! BRRRRP! You missed! Bang! Dead. Like the bloody A Team. So stupid. Aside from that, just couldn’t engage with the film at all. 1.5/5 I’d give it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

DezB you’re not surprising me. Ghost in the Shell Suit didn’t need to be remade. It looks like soulless cack just from the posters.

When the original rocked up in early 90s, it was quite forward looking in terms of material and themes. Also it and Akira upped the ante in terms of animation quality. Soundtrack was cool too. Actually, it just put production values of animation up.

Doing a remake looks like entirely missing the point.

Besides, Westworld already did it, about 400x better by the sound of things.

Legion

Utterly barking, and the best Marvel-related thing for absolutely yonks. The cast are excellent, Lenny in particular.

nickc

Some people were angry/annoyed that a white woman was playing an Asian part (whitewash) the director of the anime pointed out that it’s not explicit that the major (being a robot an all) is an Asian woman in the first place.

If you’re getting excised about “Hollywood guns” maybe don’t watch Hollywood action films?

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, I see.

I don’t watch Hollywood action films. Ghost in the Smell was supposed to be science fiction. Which is why I mentioned it in a sc-fi thread, you see.

nickc

I don’t watch Hollywood action films

I can see where you went wrong.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

[quoteThe cast are excellent, Lenny in particular[/quote]

Back off, she’s all mine! But yeah Legion was superb.

loddrik
    Free Member

Saw Ghost In The Shell with the kids on Monday. They loved it and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

There’s a few trailers around for The Last Jedi

Official release of trailer slated for today…..at 5:01 our time (nice accidental geek points for the UK) – 12:01 EST in the US

But that could be baws

shermer75
    Free Member

Why is 5.01 geeky?

IANASWE

shermer75
    Free Member

“white-faced” claptrap (see original directors comments)”

I have no idea what this means.

Using a caucasian actor to play an asian character, as in a variation on the phrase ‘black-face’.

John Wayne as Genghis Khan:

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Why is 5.01 geeky?

IANASWE

The 501st Legion

aka, Vaders Fist: The 501st Legion, also known as the 501st Battalion, was an elite military division of the Grand Army of the Republic. Consisting of highly-trained clone troopers engineered by Kaminoan cloners, the 501st served under the command of the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker throughout the Clone Wars.

jimjam
    Free Member

shermer75

Using a caucasian actor to play an asian character, as in a variation on the phrase ‘black-face’.

It’s a remake for American and European audiences though. I don’t recall any similar furore when Japanese actors were cast in the Japanese remake of Ghost.

Plus it is in no way explicit that the character in the original Anime is Japanese. Artistic styles in manage and anime vary wildly and many artists blatantly draw western looking characters.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I thought Rogue One was shite.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s a remake for American and European audiences though. I don’t recall any similar furore when Japanese actors were cast in the Japanese remake of Ghost.

Yep, the debate rages on and I suspect that it won’t be solved here. However, in the interests of supplying some background, it has become a particularly sensitive issue following the ‘white-wash Oscars’ last year.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Can anybody remember whether Dark City was any good?

funkmasterp

Yep, Dark City is a classic in my opinion.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Recent Sci-Fi films you have enjoyed/endured’ is closed to new replies.