Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rear 29er Mudguard for hardtail- effective or waste of time? Recommendations?
  • cokie

Starting to get my bike ready for the lovely muddy trails.
    In the past I’ve just worn a waterproof jacket and shorts without a rear guard. This year I’d like to cut down on the amount of post ride cleanup.

Some q’s:
    1. Are there any effective rear 29er mudguards?
    2. What do you recommend? It’s for a hardtail
    3. Running some knobbly 2.3 tyres, any clearance issues?

Currently have my eye on the Mudhugger, but it’s £30, and the Zefal appears similar for £17.

DrP

man…get yourself a 29er mud hugger and start to LOVE the puddles again!

We went out lsat week and I hadn’t fitted mine..back was a muddy mess…matey boy WITH a mudguard was dry as a bone…

DrP

Shred
    Free Member

I run a MudHugger on rear on my FS 29er, basically all year round. There isn’t really a time where it isn’t helpful.

I also run a crud catcher on the down tube, and a mucky nutz on the fork. I raced in the End2End this weekend and came through with almost no problems with mud, when everyone around me was absolutely covered.

rOcKeTdOg

my dropper post loves my mudhugger as does my dry arse

rOcKeTdOg

my dropper post loves my mudhugger as does my dry arse

a11y

Zefal is crap, mine broke on second ride.

Mudhugger is awesome. Using mine between a 29er HT and 29er FSer (need another one TBH).

Front Mudhugger is great too.

STATO
    Free Member

Mudhugger. The rear 29er is great (as is the front one). Used one on my 29er commuter and its kept all the crap off my shorts and body, legs obviously still get covered from spray.

There are similar alternatives but i liked how solid the fit was, tighen it on and its solid. Its not a quick on-off type guard where you decide if you need it that day, put it on for winter and leave it.

nbt

I don’t know if anyone’s suggest it yet but I run a Mudhugger year round. It’s great.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not tried a mudhugger, but the crud catcher works quite well, but only lasts about 2 years before it parts company with its fixing bracket.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It may not be a popular choice but I love my Mudhuggers

cokie

Cracking! Cheers all.
    Mudhugger ordered.

martinkiely
    Free Member

Before I saw this, the decision had been made – saves me recommending a Mudhugger too! Nice for once to see a UK made product being praised so highly! 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve the Zefal deflector on my 29er – been fine so far. Fitted it in April and have done quite a bit of biking with it since then.

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve not been impressed by my Mudhugger, still get water splashing up my back at about 7mph – could do with being an inch longer.
    Zefal No Mud is ideal.

STATO
    Free Member

I’ve not been impressed by my Mudhugger, still get water splashing up my back at about 7mph – could do with being an inch longer.
    Zefal No Mud is ideal.

It depends on the angle of your stays, my hugger hangs well back off the tyre and its a 29er. Zefal does let you set and angle.

oikeith

I just picked up a Mudhugger Front Race (FR) for my 29er, I’m running a magic mary and lyrik forks. I just cant seem to get the guard aligned so it doesn’t rub the tyre! Ive gone through so many cable ties and tried nearly all the holes to no avail!

Anyone had similar and overcome this?

ianpv
    Free Member

Hot air gun to mould it? Worked for me.

They look terrible but mudhuggers do work well.

jambaron
    Free Member

I just picked up a Mudhugger Front Race (FR) for my 29er, I’m running a magic mary and lyrik forks. I just cant seem to get the guard aligned so it doesn’t rub the tyre! Ive gone through so many cable ties and tried nearly all the holes to no avail!

I trimmed off the front lip that is angled downwards towards the tyre.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Yep. Mudhugger on both bikes.

Can get a small extension peice for bikes with low angled stays

eskay

Bookmarked

benp1

Zefal on the back of both my 29ers, works great

Easy to remove and leave the mounts on too, if you CBA

molgrips
    Free Member

I use a Crud guard.

Interesting that the OP says he wants to use one instead of waterproof shorts. I put one on when I want to use waterproof shorts, because I don’t want grit and grime to wear out my expensive shorts.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Beavertail XL is supposed to fit up to 58mm tyres.

philjunior
    Free Member

Hmmm, had given up on rear crud catcher after fitting a dropper and having nowhere to put it.

Mudhugger looks good. May have to make my bike ugly again!

oikeith

I was thinking this as this is the point where it rubs. What tool did you use for cutting it and was it an easy tidy job?

I don’t want to hack it apart and it to look horrid as it’ll be in my line of sight constantly reminding me of my poor workmanship ha ha

STATO
    Free Member

oikeith – Member

Loosely fasten it to the fork legs with ties, fit the wheel and hold the guard in the right position/angle so it does not rub. Mark the front and back of the arch with a pen, remove and drill new holes where you made marks, refit and enjoy rub free riding. Its a universal fit item, some forks do benefit from a bit of adapting. Mind some forks (Pike 29ers) have hardly any mud clearance so with big tyres it is mm’s off rubbing with the best fit.

jambaron
    Free Member

I was thinking this as this is the point where it rubs. What tool did you use for cutting it and was it an easy tidy job?

I don’t want to hack it apart and it to look horrid as it’ll be in my line of sight constantly reminding me of my poor workmanship ha ha

I just shaved it with a sharp knife. It’s quite a soft plastic. It could have been tidier if I’d have taken a little more time.

woody2000

I’ve stuck a 29er crudguard set on my 27.5+ HT, the rear guard covers a 3″ tyre surprisingly well and is rock solid. Thinking of modifying the front guard to fit on the front fork brace instead of the downtube.

Only £11 at Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-racepac-29er-mudguard-set/

cokie

Update from me. Done about 40 muddy offroad miles and I can’t fault the Mudhugger. It’s really solid and coverage is great. No mud on my ass. Just need a good front mudguard.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

Good front mudguard? I’d recommend a Mudhugger 😉

I’ve got the longer Front Race Mudhugger, works a treat and doesn’t look too ugly

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rear 29er Mudguard for hardtail- effective or waste of time? Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.