• This topic has 23 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • really sorry – ardent v advantage v HR v minion
  • jools182
    Free Member

I have a Patriot and I can’t make up my mind which maxxis tyres to go for, read all the reviews and its not helped much as everyone seems to like all of them

I want something thats pretty fast rolling as the bike is a heavy old girl, and I ride in the peaks, and I’ll probably use them all year round as I’m skint

I’m off to hide now for what I’ve done

daveb
    Free Member

I have 2.35 HRs on my Heckler at the moment and think they are excellent. Just about to build up a P7 and going to have a 2.35 HR on the front for a bit of grip and an advantage 2.25 on the rear as it rolls a bit better.

grim168
    Free Member

I need to rplace the standard mountain kings on my crush and will be fitting maxxis. was going for the minions 2.3 60 flavour front and rear. Don’t know why really but owts gotta be better than the conti’s. i ride at gisburn or the dales mainly but am certainly not a badass downhill type dude.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

I know where you’re coming from with this one. For more heavy duty stuff I would go with minions but if you have to pick only one I would go with HR. I switched from minions to HR recently and was really impressed. Light, roll well and stick almost as well as the minions.

There you go that’s my input over.

Enjoy

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have not tried ardents. I particularly like advantages. Can’t really say why I just do.

jam-bo

Advantages. Best allrounder I’ve ever found. Fact.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Just ordered some ardent 2.25s – I’ll let you know what they’re like!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

For me:

Advantages = Good tyre & rolled VERY well, but I had issues with grip on the front end and had endless punctures!

High Rollers = ‘OK’ at everything and rolls well but also suffered with punctures.

Minions = Most grippy tyre I have used and NO punctures whatsoever despite just covering some really harsh terrain in California, but DO NOT ROLL VERY WELL AT ALL!

So I think the next mix for me will be Minion Front & HR rear.

bighendo
    Free Member
    Seggons
    Free Member

bontrager XR4s are apparently the best of all worlds!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have been running Ardents all Summer in the UK and they are an ace summer tyre but and here is the big but, on the front end on sticky clay soils they are lethal. So at the the moment I have switched back to a Minnion FR single ply front on the front and an Ardent still on the rear but for the peaks I would consider running two minnion fronts that way there will be no compromise on grip.
    As for puncture resistance last time I sliced the sidewall of a Minnion Single Ply rear was after descending Jacobs Ladder on my Kona Coiler-cut it on one of the drainage bars by the farm at the bottom.
    I know someone that has run Advantage all winter last year and he seemd to have okay grip unless it got really claggy.
    Just remeber running an Advent on the front in winter mud=laying on the floor thinking ‘how did that happen’.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Also dislike my mountain kings

2.35 High Roller Front and 2.25″ Advantage rear has been a very successful combination on my burlified Sub 5 for the past 18 months or so.

jonny-m
    Free Member

advantages here too. cant fault them as a good all round tyre. high volume, fast rolling, good cornering grip and reasonably light weight.
    find the 2.1 is enough for most of my riding.

Jonny5
    Free Member

Adavantages here too. In the 2.1 lust version.

scaredypants

Just remeber running an Advent on the front in winter mud=laying on the floor thinking ‘how did that happen’.

Advents don’t really come into their own until about December 😉

(I found the same with ardents – they have a central strip, then a bald patch before the edge grip. scary if you lean a bit; OK if you lean a lot, or barely at all. I bought one for my wintery mud nightriding bike, which I don’t rag about everywhere & lean like I’m in motoGP, and it just didn’t work for me. Prob great on drier ground)

_tom_
    Free Member

Minion front, HR rear for me 🙂 Both 60a and 2.35.

BadlyWiredDog

Peak-based here – I use a Minion DHF on the front – 2.35, but it’s small for the size, so with a Patriot you might want to look at the 2.5 maybe – and an Ardent on the back – good combination most of the time in the Peak (local riding) unless you find mud, in which case the rear will let go occasionally, good on rocky/gritty norm though and reasonably fast rolling. For fool-proof, all-year riding, Minion DHF front and rear works really well and isn’t ridiculously slow.

If you want fast rolling, I’d steer clear of High Rollers which are s-l-o-w ime, or maybe just use on on the front, tho personally I think the Minion is a better, more directional front tyre without the on/off lean thing you get with HRs. I haven’t ridden the Advantage, so I have no idea, but year round, idiot proof combo would be Minion DHF/Minion DHF, faster option, Ardent on back but be prepared for slippage and wear.

Great tyres btw, I used to use Schwalbe NNs/RRs, but got tired of wearing through sidewalls before the tread expired. Maxxis use grippier rubber, tougher all round and are a lot cheaper too.

jools182
    Free Member

for those of you using advantages, what size and compound do you use?

orena45

ADvantage fan here as well. Run 2.1 folding Exceptions front and rear on my EX8 all year round, although have had the 70a on the rear before.

Am about to start consolidating my jump bike and XC hardtail (which also has 2.1 ADvantages) onto an MmmBop and that’ll have 2.25 ADs on too when complete.

Baldysquirt

Advantages seem to be very popular amongst our group of regular peak riders. I’ve had a pair on my Prophet for nearly a year now and think they’re great. 2.25 folding are what I’m running (I think that’s 62a compound). I’m considering putting something more toothy on the front for more muddy conditions – not because the Advantages are bad in mud (They’re one tyre I reckon could be kept on all year round) – It’s that I’m not very good in mud and need all the help I can get.

bigjim

high rollers were great for grip and surefootedness on the way downhill, but are so slow rolling and heavy, and not great on the back on climbs, in my experience. to be honest you aren’t likely to go wrong, people get obsessed with tires and anyone that says “I had tire x on the front and crashed therefore its the tire” needs to look at their riding. smoke and dart ftw.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I blame my advantage / High roller combination for my last big crash, as they just give you too much confidence. Beware going back to normal tyres!

cabbage84
    Free Member

Cedric gracia tyres are also worth condsidering they have amazing grip and roll very fast aswell I run an all mountain oone up front and a xc one on rear been using for 3 weeks and no punctures yet either

ianv
    Free Member

Larsen rear HR front is a pretty good combo. The minions are pretty hard work.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘really sorry – ardent v advantage v HR v minion’ is closed to new replies.