Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • real world bike weights ??
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I have cheap uncalibrated fishing scales from eBay and they are pretty accurate according to multiple trips to the airport.

My large enduro evo was 35lbs which felt about right. My large Stumpjumper Carbon with lyriks, hope hoops with flow ex, slx brakes, six 1×10, and xtr cranks weighs just under 29lbs. I’m pretty happy and confident with that and the bike seems solid so far. I could drop it another couple of pounds with pikes and tubeless tyres.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

31lbs on a Santa Cruz Blur LTc

160 dual position Pikes, Mavic 521 rims, DTSwiss hubs, SRAM XO shifters and rear, XT front mech, spank bars, Formula r1s brakes, ice tech rotors, charge spoon, KS post, XT chainset, hope BB, Cane Creek DB coil (Ti coil), Spesh butcher control on front, Spesh purgatory grid on the rear.

Bike built to blast but last.

m6dwn
    Free Member

Had a lightish Anthem, light seatpost clamp kept breaking, light tyres kept getting punctures, just wasnt up to demanding trails which dampended enjoyment when having to stop fix etc – put a meatier front tyre and thomson seatpost adding a couple of pounds and fully worth it, faster times too.

dirtydog
    Free Member

2011 18″ Orange Five here…according to my luggage scales 14.24kg or 31.32lb in old money.

Float 36, Rp23, Reverb, 2.5 DHF Minions Exos, Stans Arch Ex, Hope Pro 2s, Double and Bash, Hope V2 brakes, Haven carbon bar, Haven stem, HT pedals.

butcher

My road bike weighs about 25 lbs. I’d say that’s pretty light. Not for a road bike, but an MTB it is. Couple of water bottles, saddle bag, garmin, lights, etc, it’s probably over 30…

My MTB is probably over 35 lbs. Keeps you fit, I say.

Daffy

57cm On One PickenFlick:

19lbs without pedals.

njee20
    Free Member

Bring your funky stand/scales thing along on the 29th and I can at least check it on the same thing you weighed yours, just so I know for sure.

Gladly! I doubt Kryton can resist the urge anyway!

firestarter
    Free Member

Thank god I never weighed the el mariachi rohloff I had 🙂

br
    Free Member

My MTB is probably over 35 lbs. Keeps you fit, I say.

Wears you out more likely 🙂

My 456Ti has put on the best part of 5lbs since I moved from the Home Counties to the Scottish Borders.

Main ‘culprits’ are; heavier tyres, XTR replaced by XT (breakages became unaffordable), bigger rotors, dropper and normal seat (replaced I-Beam).

But still 26.5lbs for a 20″ frame c/w pedals, crud-catcher and Muckynutz.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member
    Why do people weigh bikes as 32.5lbs instead of 32lbs7ozs or if you want to use decimal points 12.7kgs etc . One of those silly things that irritate me .

Because .5 of a pound is 8oz not 7?
    Cannondale Trigger 1 alloy 29. 33lb. Feels very light most the time. Biiiig though.

Northwind

Mine (Hemlock with new Pikes, 1×10 and a mixed bag of everything else) just weighed in at 27.3lbs on my Super Accurate £1 Ebay Scales. Will be a bit less with the new crabonz. But when I alp it in August it’ll weigh as much as my car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Of the 3 current bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur LTc factory spec weighed in as expected/quoted (medium)
    Santa Cruz Blur LTc custom builds both came up right based on manufacturers quoted weights for parts
    Santa Cruz Tallboy factory spec came up as quoted (medium)

So fairly happy with all that, if your doing a parts list weight make sure you include everything.

craighill
    Free Member

my covert weighs in at 31.4lbs on my fishing scales. medium frame, 160mm pikes solo air, renthal bar and stem, xt 1×10, flow ex, hans dampf, reverb, nano tech pedals.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Its a bit of a moving goalpost really…I tried building a 26lb FS bike (a Camber, no less) because I already had a 33lb AM bike.

The Camber was – is – ace, but the flimsy Spesh S-Works tyres tore virtually every outing and swapping from Crank Bros pedals to something fit for purpose increased the weight a tad. I now have a 28ish lb XC bike that lives up to the initial promise.

Toasty

Thing is… you’ve got a heavy frame, heavy wheels, average forks, run of the mill groupset. That’s not a light build! Foam grips and a KCNC stem do not a weight weenie build make!

Totally, the frame is a bit crazy, it’s heavier than the old Scandal it replaced, plus the fat PF30 bottom bracket adapter. Quite what makes it S-Works I’m not sure.

My point was more than 27 pounds isn’t hugely heavy, middleweight sort of XC bits on a hardtail comes to roughly that sort of figure. I’m 6’6″ and 15 stone, the last time I had a bike lighter it was rubbish, Stans 355 rims didn’t work at my weight 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

My 5 used to weigh under 27, now it’s about 28 or so (using fish scales, no not that kind).

The current Patriot weighs 30-31 which is fine up hills (since going tubeless), wouldn’t want to go any heavier though. The one it replaced was coil sprung and had cheaper stuff, and weighed 37lbs. That was just too heavy for climbing, not helped by the 180mm non-wind-down fork.

seosamh77
    Free Member

My bike when its clean is about 27 lbs 3ish, probably about 30 in its natural mucky state and probably about 40/50/60 when I’ve got tents and stuff attached! Actually, think I’ll weigh that at the weekend before I set off, now ye mention it!

Genesis core 40

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and for the real world weights (without pedals)
    The Blur LTc’s go at
    27.7 on the missus bike (32’s, reverb and next cranks 1×10)
    28.6 on mine with 34’s Avalanche cart, 1×10, tubeless etc.
    The tallboy is 25.65 out the box with X01

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My Salsa Horesthief 3 (base spec) with a Reverb is 15kg/33lbs
    Definitely at the heavier end of the ….scale….

But solid, goes down hill great and doesn’t break much.

ahwiles
    Free Member

even this thread thread ‘real world bike weights’ has more than it’s fair share of dodgy claims.

‘weighed without pedals’

‘using bathroom scales’

‘i reckon once i’ve done X, it’ll be under…’

etc.

hardtail; 30+ lbs
    FS; 32 lbs
    road bike; 24 lbs

occamsrazor
    Free Member

Newbie question – how much does weight really matter anyway, except if you race competitively?

Say you have a bike that’s 10kg and another that’s 15kg. That would appear to be a difference of 50 percent extra weight.

But when you’re trying to accelerate the bike, or ride uphill, isn’t the weight actually being moved the bike’s weight AND your weight. So if I’m 85kg, the combined weights would be 95kg vs 100kg, which is less than 5 percent difference.

Or doesn’t it work that way? Help me understand….

campfreddie
    Free Member

my yeti sb66 weighs a decent amount
    my giant tcr advanced weighs not very much
    my cannondale scalpel carbon 1×10 650b weighs naff all.

the scalpel build is just finished and i will posting up a build thread just as soon as i get it on the scales. i think i managed to snip about 1,300g off the standard build which is posted as sub 23lbs, so it will be interesting to see which side of 20lbs it falls on (my money is on over 20lbs)

Stevet1
    Free Member

18″ Stanton Slackline Ti with coil forks, flows, tubeless 2.4″/2.2″ tyres, flat pedals etc – 25.1 lbs.
    Difference between this and the steel frame it replaced is most noticeable in the air and when flying DH, not necessarily when climbing etc.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I was looking at buying a used transition 120mm travel 29er with burly build a bit back and owner said its about 28lbs which seems kinda odd when my new carbon rigid weighs almost 26lbs 😉

Milkie
    Free Member

So I guess I’m the only one who adds a couple of Kilo’s to the bikes weight?

If someone asks I’ll say 16-17kg, its actually 14-15kg, but I don’t like to look totally unfit when I’m the last uphill. 😉

teasel
    Free Member

FTR, that claimed 21.6lbs on my 2×10 is with pedals (A600) and a Reba fork.

It feels light when you lift it by hand but remains remarkably composed at speed. I thought it might feel flighty or skippy or however a light bike is supposed to behave, but it’s actually very solid. I have, as one STWr once put, learned to ‘skim the gnar’, the result of riding a rigid hybrid over all sorts of terrain for the last 7 years. Before that it was a 29.4lbs soggy-arsed Attack Trail – sod that!

Kryton57

Asr 5 with f120’s, Thompson ally post & stem, Thompson carbon bars 2 x 10 XT and crests on hopes – 26.5lbs

Enigma ti ht 2x 10 XT, SIDS AC wheels, carbon post, Thompson stem and raceface bars 24lbs – although spending £200 on stem, bars and qr’s on xcracer would drop nearly 1/2lb off that 😯

Id like to test the former on njees scales also…. 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

I know that I trot this one out every time that bike weight is discussed, but it illustrates why we shouldn’t get so hung up about it…

Back in my newbie days at Thetford, I happened upon a small group of blokes all huddled around their exotic looking bikes. One in particular stands out, he was roughly fifteen stone and perched atop a monstrously expensive fully rigid that he claimed weighed under twenty pounds. Anyway, we all set off along the old Headcracker route at thirty second intervals and it’s fair to say that I caught up with the bloke on the rigid pretty quickly. My Spesh Enduro at the time weighed in at about 31lb but it was pretty obvious that the bloke in front was slowed by his choice of bike.

Anyway, we got to the end of the route and he celebrated by sparking up a fag. I often wonder how fast he’d been had be been a non-smoker on a mid range full suss bike.

onewheelgood

I remember an optimistic Anthem, metal, triple XT groupset, 22lbs or sommat.

Thing is that I’m sure a lot of people quoting weights have genuinely weighed it at their quoted weight (does that make sense!?), it’s just some innaccurate scales

I own the optimistic Anthem and I remember you being sceptical about it 🙂
    It’s a bit heavier these days due to 120mm forks, but I just went out and weighed it – 23.7lbs with pedals and an original crud race guard on it. As you say, it may be the scales, but it’s a little heavier than the spreadsheet of component weights says it should be, so I don’t think it’s far out.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Bronson c 150mm both ends 26.62 inc pedals, HR2 tyres, XT brakes, no dropper (yet). As above its not the bike its 90% rider

Define ‘real world MTB weights’? = its just the bike you ride

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just dropped a kilo off mine with a hosepipe and Muc-Off. Now the fun of putting it all back on again…

dunmail
    Free Member

Other than absolute bike weight you need to look at how that weight is distributed both between components (frame, wheels, etc) and across the bike as a whole. I’ve two bikes that superficially are roughly the same weight, well within a kilogramme of each other – not enough to tell just by picking up, yet the bike that is “lighter” actually feels heavier as the weight distribution is skewed towards the back end.

To occamsrazor: the distribution of weight between components can have a big impact on how a bike feels to ride. A light frame with heavy wheels will ride differently to a heavy frame with light wheels. This is perhaps the most extreme example as you are trading “static” mass for “rotational” mass. Heavy wheels, especially heavy rim/tyre combinations, will accelerate more slowly than a lighter set up but will be more stable. A lot of quite expensive road bikes (even up to £2K) have pretty cheap stock wheelsets as the manufacturers put the build cost in to the frame and components knowing that most road cyclists will change the wheels as the first upgrade. So even though the bike is only a small part of the overall mass moving along the road/trail, it’s the physics of how that mass reacts that gives the impression of being light/heavy, lively/dull, good/bad, whatever.

Within reason (undefined term), the absolute weight of a bike isn’t that important. If you weigh two bikes using the same weighing device then all you can say is that one is lighter than the other. If one bike is a full on DH rig and the other an XC racer then there really isn’t much point in comparing them but if both are XC machines and one is 5Kgs heavier then it’s worth investigating where the difference comes from and does the extra weight give any advantages.

Sundayjumper

Carbon Stumpjumper FSR – 28lbs
    Carbon Stumpjumper HT – 19.5lbs (with 100mm forks, 3×9 & inner tubes, natch)

And at totally opposite ends of the scale:
    Tarmac SL4 – 16lbs
    Rock Combo – 33lbs

The FSR is the only one that gets ridden on any kind of regular basis.

zero-cool
    Free Member

My fairly stock Orange Alpine weighed in at 15.8 kg (34.7lbs) but now I’ve fitted a KS i7 and stuck a single ply Minion DHF on the back instead of the (utterly terrible) Nobby Nic and gone tubeless so I guess it’s a bit heavier. Switching to Dual Ply Minions F&R so it’ll be heavier again.

Tom K p

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Cotic soul built up as light as possible without being silly is bang on 24lbs (10.9kg) with dropper. Tbh the front feels a little skittish with WC Sids and mavic 717s, waiting for a good deal on some revs or 36 floats to pop up and trying to work out if i can swap my rims for LB carbons without changing the spokes.

06 S-Works enduro is 32.2lbs with coil front and rear, plain guage spokes/DT5.1s, dropper but otherwise p light but strong kit. Plenty of room for improvemnt but this was a cost sensitive project and its really made for pointing down ^^

All weighed on park scales, i think a decent frame and sensible component choice can save alot of weight each little bit ads up real fast so if you can save 50g somewhere by spending another 5er or going S/H its definatly worth it, i mean the soul could be under 10kg if it was a carbon frame and seatpost and i didnt spend more than 2k on it. The enduro was a SH build and came in jsut over 1k and weighs alot less than some weights i see posted here v0v

julians
    Free Member

06 S-Works enduro is 32.2lbs with coil front and rear, plain guage spokes/DT5.1s, dropper but otherwise p light but strong kit. Plenty of room for improvemnt but this was a cost sensitive project and its really made for pointing down ^^

I reckon your scales are out. My 06 enduro with air forks and shock, no dropper post, and dt5.1 rims weighs in at 34.5lb. Mine is not an sworks, but that would prob account for half a pound.

maxtorque

After a year or so of fiddling (with the Bike!!) and spec swapping, i’ve found the sweet spot for my trusty Enduro Mountain Bike. It’s light enough to be strong, and strong enough to be light. If i go any lighter then the durability would definitely suffer:

Zesty 714 (2013) running in “spicy” mode at 160mm both ends with CCdbair, reverb, 1×10 (XX1 cranks/32T, Placy Nukes, OneUp42T + XT cassette, XTR shadowmech) Havoc carbon bars, R1 brakes (203/180) Mavic ST + HDs in Supergravity flavour.

My scales say 13.00kg, a friends set say 13.05kg, and my LBS set says 12.95kg, so we’ll call it a 13kg / 28.6lb average! I’d say that’s bang on the money for a modern capable Enduro Mountain Bike with that much capability.

Right now, all i’m thinking about doing is a Fork change, that will probably add a little weight but bring better composure on the rough stuff 😉

nickc

Some back of the fag packet on line guess work suggested my Shan ( lyriks, XTR 1×10, hope x2evo, UST x-kings on 819, dropper post) should be about 26 and a bit pounds, which I thought was unlikely, in my head its nearer the 30lbs mark. But then I read maxtorques Zesty weights and I’m not so sure!

My do a proper weigh in tonight

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

julians – Member
    I reckon your scales are out. My 06 enduro with air forks and shock, no dropper post, and dt5.1 rims weighs in at 34.5lb. Mine is not an sworks, but that would prob account for half a pound.

Dont think so mate same scales weighed my naked soul frame @ 2.1kg which is bang on the higher side of the estimated weight v0v Does have carbon bar, butcher/purg controll tyres and ti coil and bolts though which will account for a bit…

njee20
    Free Member

That’s the thing innit, you don’t know the group set, finishing kit, tyres etc, can easily lose 2lbs there. My seatpost and saddle (obviously not a dropper) is 270g, my bar and stem is 215g. You can easily lose a pound over other setups in those bits.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘real world bike weights ??’ is closed to new replies.