Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • Rapha Festive 500 – hints and tips?
  • mrmo
    Free Member

another 40km done today, and discovered the SO wants to go to the cinema with her mum tomorrow.

100km of north devon lanes awaits, only downside is there are NO flat roads here!

onehundredthidiot

This is not getting easier first a windy day and now all decent routes are a bit white. Might have to switch to a roadie to make the last half easier.

dazh

214km down. Proving a challenge this year by both the weather and family commitments. Sunday was 70km into a gale, then back again, Yesterday was pleasant but curtailed by xmas lunch, today was limited due to xmas hangover and waiting for the sleet to stop. A couple more 50-70km rides followed by a big one to finish will do it. Hoping to be done by Friday.

crazy-legs

90km today, just a really steady pace. Managed to find some flatter roads, we did 2200m climbing today which is a big relief after the initial few days of 3000+ metres.

That takes me to a fraction over 300km in 3 days. I really knew about it this morning riding out on the first climb, took me 20 minutes to warm up!

However it is warm(ish) and sunny and dry and there’s Spanish tapas so basically, it’s all good. 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

Over halfway now – thanks to a wet and windy ride today. Got family duties tomorrow so hoping Thursday isn’t icy. Not as many riders out today as I expected, though crossed paths with some local Elite team riders. Fair play to anyone doing the 500 on a mtb!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

90km today takes me to about 215…a lot of black ice around though and to get colder tomorrow so prospects of doing the intended big ride tomorrow not great.

Merak

I’m doing it on a single speed. 112km on sub zero icy roads today had me feeling quite smug until I realised I have to it again tomorrow and the day after…

swanny853

60 miles of mixed road, path and ‘churned to unrideable by horses mud’ today takes me to the halfway mark.

Quite a nice day down south this morning so I decided to repeat a route I did with a friend between Christmas and New year several years ago, at least as well as I could remember.

South from my usual area, through the fields, round east grinstead and dormansland then south to the forest way. This stretch was pretty appallingly churned up by horses and very slow going, which is a shame as the views were lovely. Afraid I didn’t take pictures as I was busy muttering very rude things about equestrians churning up the ground. Then forest way out past groombridge, about face and over the hill to crowborough and on up to the top of the ashdown. A short shower here made me think the rain had come a few hours earlier than forecast but it died off. Quick visit to pooh bridge, dodged a family in assorted Winnie the Pooh character onesies and then back on the forest way heading west for East grinstead. Then just a slog through the lanes and byways home as the rain finally caught up with me.

mrmo
    Free Member

only 80 today, which gets me just over the 250, snow, cold and wind on Exmoor wasn’t the ideal combination for a longer ride.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Two days off and I’m back on the bike today, though wont find the time until it’s dark and sub zero outside, and I’ve picked up the kids cold. Turbo would be the sensible option. I’m really not that desperate for a roundel 🙂

crazy-legs

Fraction under 90km today, we went off to do the Gran Canaria equivalent of Stelvio Pass, the sort of iconic must-do climb. It’s called Valley of the Tears or less romantically, the GC-606

1000m of climbing in an 11.7km ribbon of rough tarmac draped across what is basically a cliff wall. It is stunning, the views are incredible but it’s a proper brute of a climb. There’s no sitting and spinning here. Took me exactly 1.01.00, I was slightly disappointed at not getting under the hour but looking at the KOM time of 43 minutes, I simply cannot imagine being able to knock 18 minutes off my time!

Still, a stunning day out in amazing scenery and it leaves me with 107km left to do.

dazh

Superb day today despite my legs being absolutely f***** due to previous rides and too much xmas drinking. Bloody freezing though. Knocked another 75km off in between one set of relatives leaving and others arriving. MTB ride tomorrow so not much progress expected, then it looks like 2 days of grimness (sleet and rain forecast) to finish it off. It’s going to be a test of willpower I fear.

orangeboy
    Free Member

think tomorrow is going to be far to icey to ride to work. I feel like I need a rest day anyway

Merak

Another 40odd k today. Just over halfway. Roads are treacherous here. Im feart to take a rest day in case I don’t get back to it!

mikeyp

Beautiful day in Lancashire today, just over half way. I’ve definitely underestimated the time this thing takes but it’s a great stimulus. There’s very little easy miles round here. Chapeau everyone having a crack at it.

swanny853

31 miles today as an extended ‘pop to Evans for some parts’. Road miles in the dark, not the most fun and getting pretty cold on the way back. Gets me to 300k, so 30 miles a day for the rest.

Mostly concerned with what feels like a tweak in my Achilles- had problems with it a few years ago and could really do without it flaring up again

splashgordon
    Free Member

Recurring knee injury put a halt to my attempt today. 233km hopefully get one more ride to take me over half way. Annoying as was getting into the swing of things. Good luck to all those still in it.

onehundredthidiot

Yesterday was like.

Had a detour to a favourite castle.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ll not make it. Decent ride Christmas Eve, only out for an hour Christmas Day (and along a coastal path on CX so only 7 miles) and missed Boxing Day – family travel, and yesterday – spent building my new hardtail.
    Will get out every day though – good motivation in that sense.

onehundredthidiot

Actually yesterday’s ride was very eventful. Nearly taken out by a car that hadn’t been scraped, well it has now, I had to fend off it using my winter mtb boots. Damp cold Road and sideways action meant my only form of action was foot out.
    Have reported it to 101, 2calls back to say a partial reg isn’t really enough but they’ll keep an eye out.

corroded
    Free Member

Might have hit a snag with my 500: very icy round here today. Might try to take the MTB around QECP if it’s frozen. Otherwise I’ll be left with two 75 mile days over the weekend.

variflex
    Free Member

Not going to make it now 🙁 Weather and work has failed me. Ho hum, there is always 2018. Goodluck everyone who still has a shot at it.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Up to 370km now.

Ive done this the last few years and finding this one the toughest yet. The rain on the 24th and 25th wasnt great to start things off but then the freezing temperatures after that when the roads were wet just made it worse. So its meant having to use the same route on main roads and its becoming a bit of a slog as a result. Now snow forecast for tomorrow…think it will be mountain bike and out for a play on that forget the distance just try and enjoy it then finish things off on sunday

dazh

Today’s scheduled MTB ride didn’t happen so took the opportunity to knock off another 100km. Hardest one yet with 2000m of climbing in freezing temps, wet roads and a couple of hail showers. My feet were completely numb by the end despite thick wool socks and heavy duty overshoes. Tomorrow looks even worse with snow turning to rain. The weather is not making it easy this year.

onehundredthidiot

150 km to go. But all the roads are treacherous. 50km on mtb tomorrow but if roads don’t clear I’ll be short by an annoying amount.

richpips
    Free Member

Just 35 km to go now. 😉

crazy-legs

I had a day off today. Partly just logistics, partly know that I’ve only got 107km to do, I’m on holiday until NYD so I’ve got 29/30/31 to get it finished.

No hurry. 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Literally just got ready and the snow’s come on.

Oh and Rapha winter embrocation is good but apply after chamois cream, not before. I really need to go out just to cool off.

Merak

I’m declaring a DNF today. I really did try my best but with a couple of inches of snow on the ground and the forecast saying more of the same I’m out.

I dodged some icy bullets over the past few days, riding my luck for a sew on patch.

276km the scores on the doors.

Good luck to anyone still in the hunt. Keep it shiny side up!

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m out.
    No way I can finish it now, I had big plans for yesterday but won’t ride on frosty roads as I feel it is dangerous.

I’ll probably end up at around 250kms.
    Massive kudos to all of you who’ve completed it in the UK, as the weather has been shite.

There is always next year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Unsurprisingly I’m out too, with a chesty cough and freezing temps last night it was some zone 1 on the turbo for me.

Next year I’ll be leaving the family at home to enjoy Christmas on their own while I nip off to Grand Canaria on a Festive quest to earn that roundel 😉

hofnar
    Free Member

So its 8 days you need to do 62.5 km a day.

Day one I did 63.8 a full k ahead of schedule christmas I stayed in the valley near my parents place average 2 degrees munched away 104 km so got some margin. But then boxing day in France thats a working day with raods iced ver no commuting. Wednesday I was surprised to get up to the house in the snow and Ice. I am off today in the afternoon but icy rain left the bike in the car and nice sliding car on the ice to get home gets the afternoon hopes down with the icy rain. Of to spain tonight for the sunshine but 330km to go I really needed that ride today another DNF i guess

wool

Just 100k to do now. Been intresting weather this time lots more snow and ice this year, its made things a lot slower.Black ice made going up hills quicker than going down,On the brakes every 50 meters really started to get to me. Average speed down to 9 Mph using CX bike with 35mm file treads.
    Should finish it tonight or tomorrow morning after taking today off to go sledging with my kids.

tiim
    Free Member

Completed this morning, 503 road km in 6 days. Didn’t sound like our weather is as bad as some tough I’ve had a lot of wind and had to pick ride runs based on roads that out.

Today probably sums it up the best, left the house in sunshine once temps were up to 7ish, did a little over two hours and managed to have binding sun, hail, fussy wind then fund as the heavens opened a deluge of rain.

Now looking out of the window it is sunny and calm!

Well done to anyone getting out this Christmas, it feels like the mix of weather has made it hard.

willstaffs
    Free Member

308kms done, got a 30km commute home today and then a 70km ride with a mate tomorrow. New Years is going to be a struggle hungover after curry and beer night with friends on 30th.

It’s been slow and tough going with ice, wind and hail on most rides!

onehundredthidiot

88km to go and it’s been tough. MTB day today, sensible option given the weather. This is as good as it got. Hellmoor quite literally freezing over.

This was the point I had to pee on the frozen rear mech.

zilog6128

Massive kudos to all of you who’ve completed it in the UK, as the weather has been shite.

I actually regret not having a crack at it now as, looking back, the weather’s been damn near perfect for this where I am in the SE! Only been raining hard one day, otherwise all the mornings have been sunny & fairly mild. No frost/ice on the roads at all. Fair play to anyone who’s done it or even attempted it, I’ve basically done **** all exercise for the past week 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

another 90km down just 150 to go over the next two days. Snowshill certainly lived upto its name.

Next two days forecast is actually looking pleasant, which after the last few days will be appreciated.

dazh

A hard fought 35km in torrential sleet and I’m now within 75km. Forecast is good for tomorrow so looking forward to finishing it off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😯

Winter miles, summer smiles eh..

Brave lads, brave.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Rapha Festive 500 – hints and tips?’ is closed to new replies.