Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Rantette: Notes on cars
  • Flaperon

Having a couple of people over recently has led to me parking my car on the street outside a neighbour’s house. Not blocking access (very careful with positioning), just “outside” their house.

Passive-aggressive note on car this morning: “Please show consideration to your neighbours and park in the space allocated to your house”, along with a pair of wheely bins placed either end of the car about half an inch from the bumper.

Woman’s writing. No one in at the moment, which is a shame as it gives me the perfect opportunity to point out that I’ve kept my mouth shut about their dog barking incessantly when I’m in the garden, and that if they didn’t want cars parked in front of their house they should have bought one that doesn’t have a road in front of it.

Can’t abide cowardly note writers.

luffy105
    Free Member

If she’s not in then steal the bins and hide them.

and when she comes over ranting for har bins back just deny all knowledge of the note and smile sweetly.

No aggro, no proof and a warm glow of a job well done

andytherocketeer

Street is a free for all.
    Unless it’s a culdesac type thing with garages and parking spaces that’s clearly not the road, when there potentially could be some allocation.

I’d move the wheelie bins out of the way and leave a note on them that says “Please show consideration to your neighbours and only put wheelie bins out on bin collection day, and in a place that doesn’t cause obstruction”

edit: and leave the car where it is and take the bus each day for a week 😈

CountZero

That would be the red rag to a bull as far as I’m concerned!
    I’d write one back saying that I’ve asked the council about their ownership of the stretch of road in front of their house, and the council expressed considerable surprise on hearing this, as they were under the impression that the road belonged to the local authority, or something to that effect, and attach it to the wheely bins that I’d leave blocking their gateway.
    Petty and juvenile, perhaps, but that attitude pisses me off, when no-one is being inconvenienced. 😈

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And have a jobbie in their bin.

hora
    Free Member

and park in the space allocated to your house

Is the street marked out?

We had this at our old house with traffic cones. One day I so fedup with people doing this so I drove over and parked on them (4×4)

stumpy01

luffy105 – Member
    If she’s not in then steal the bins and hide them.

and when she comes over ranting for har bins back just deny all knowledge of the note and smile sweetly.

No aggro, no proof and a warm glow of a job well done

I think I’d do this, just to get the chance to find out who it was and have a chat about it.

I used to lift share with a colleague of mine and he’d drive to the end of my road and park up. After a few occasions of doing this, he got back to his car one day to find someone had poured golden syrup all over the driver’s side door handle….!

He parked outside our house once (normally all the school run mums park on the opposite side of the road completely clogging the road up). We got back to my house early (work Xmas do that evening, so had been let out early) and it was school kicking out time. The school run mums had carried on parking on the other side of the road and caused a real bottle neck adjacent to his car (they could barely squeeze their Q7’s through the gap!). But, he was the one that got the dirty looks and muttered commnents about his parking, even though his car had been there since about 7am that morning!

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve done it! “Next time take up 2 spaces” in the work car park.

I wonder if the recipient was brave enough to start an anonymous internet thread about it… :mrgreen:

pondo

I tried driving to Leamington, cycling to the station and catching the train the rest of the way to work – parked in a side street, in front of a house but not blocking a drive. On the second day, on return to the car, I found notes sellotaped to front, rear and driver’s side windows asking me to be considerate to the residents. Mixed emotions, really – on one hand, it’s small-minded little Englishness of a massively irritating nature, but on the other, it’s not that far from Warwick Castle, so they must get it all the time. Did think about parking back there/popping notes through letterboxes/complaining to the council/getting Jeremy Vine involved, but at the end of the day, my car would be at their mercy all day long – they don’t have to cause any damage, it’d take them thirty seconds and cause no damage just to let a tyre down every day. I figured, if it bothers them that much, they can have their side street.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Are parking spaces real? Something I’ve always wondered about. My driving cop pal tells me that the spaces outside properties are known as ‘frontages’. As I understand it, the idea of a “parking space”: an area bounded by a kerb, on a roadway- is purely a notional one.

Is this correct?

rocketman
    Free Member

The person who lives a couple of houses away sometimes has a visitor who drives up on to the verge using my neighbour’s drive and parks half outside his house and half outside our house, thus preventing both of us from parking outside our houses. When they leave they use my drive to get back on the road

imo there are bigger problems in the world but it really grips the neighbour’s shit he has gone out and given the parker some grief and moaned to me about it as well.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you know who it is, just pop over one evening and have a chat with her explaining sweetly and nicely that you have some visitors hence why you’d parked your car where you did. You have no intention of making a habit of it though.

Then empty her wheelie bins over her front lawn.

hora
    Free Member

I was just going to say- wheel the bins two streets away and leave them there.

Milkie
    Free Member

I thought… When parking against someones garden wall where there is a pavement then you have to have the owners permission?

We have parking problems. We have a bigger/longer wall than most in our street. Due to this neighbours visitors park along it, leaving their neighbours wall free. We have a Navara not a small thing so end up parking against neighbours wall sometimes blocking them in as it over hangs a foot. We even have a neighbour opposite who has 2 spaces and still parks against our wall, we are waiting for him to do it again so we can park our cars in his spaces and ride to work for the week. 😆

We wouldn’t mind if it wasn’t possible for them to park there cars against the neighbours wall or even in the spaces for visitors. Or even if they parked to one side of the wall, rather than slap bang in the middle.

Personally I would never park against someones wall if there were spaces free elsewhere, and if I was asked to move I would. I’ve lived in an area where parking is a nightmare so am very considerate.

parkesie
    Free Member

Leave car where it is as its blocked in by her wheelie bins and you wouldnt dream of moving them.

parkesie
    Free Member

Best ive had is a neighbour complaining that i cant park across the top of a drive. Its my drive you arse.

happyrider
    Free Member

A David Thorne type reply would be entertaining http://27bslash6.com/

verses

“You own a car house not the road”?

wwaswas

retaliate;

wrightyson
    Free Member

Aah the joys of parking wars! Some twunt had again managed to park on site last night because the dizzy bint who has access “just nipped out” and didn’t put the bollard back up.
    It got locked on site last night by dizzy woman and again by me when I arrived.
    Q sheepish looking young lad approaching 3 miserable builder types to ask if he could get his girlfriends car out.
    Told him to do one. Gave us some sob story about how he’d never done it before etc and that he was flying to Spain later blah blah.
    It was pointed out to him that he/she had parked directly next to one of the signs saying private parking you will be clamped etc etc
    What would you lot have done…

globalti
    Free Member

The aggressive approach will only escalate things. Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold; who knows, if she’s on your side she might even report someone breaking into your house and stealing your bikes.

Knock on her door and politely introduce yourself – that will put her on the back foot straight away. Point out that you weren’t aware that individual houses had parking spaces allocated on the public highway. Don’t mention her stupidity with the wheelie bins. Once you’ve finished discussing the parking, bring up the subject of her barking dog. Be incredibly polite but firm and insistent. Give her an ultimatum and a date and explain that if she doesn’t resolve the barking, you will take it up with the local authority. Then go home and write down everything you discussed.

We have a farm nearby with a dog that barks all night; I went round and politely discussed it with the farmer, who has a reputation for being aggressive. Despite my fears, he was perfectly reasonable about it and the barking has stopped. It’s amazing what a civilised meeting can achieve.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not sure I should add the url in case anyone at work inadvertently clicks it, but if you google “you park like a [c word that would get me banned no matter how I try and write it]” there are some beauties on there. Warning, there is liberal use of the c-word in text on the site for anyone at work.

jam-bo

We have a farm nearby with a dog that barks all night; I went round and politely discussed it with the farmer, who has a reputation for being aggressive. Despite my fears, he was perfectly reasonable about it and the barking has stopped. It’s amazing what a civilised meeting can achieve.

you realise he probably shot the dog?

edlong
    Free Member

@milkie

I didn’t really understand most of your post, as I don’t really get what the parking against walls thing was all about – if we’re talking about parking on the road, I don’t know what relevance the walls have, if we’re talking about parking off the road, on the pavement, by a wall then that might be a different kettle of fish. I was, however, interested in how you reconcile this statement:

I’ve lived in an area where parking is a nightmare so am very considerate.

with this one:

We have a Navara not a small thing so end up parking against neighbours wall sometimes blocking them in as it over hangs a foot

Your definition of considerate parking (unless I’ve massively misunderstood) is somewhat different from mine….

samuri
    Free Member

Streets have no allocated parking spaces, they’re public areas. Park where you like as long as you don’t block access.

If I were you I’d avoid retaliating because these things can easily escalate which just becomes and pain in the arse, would wait till you see them, ask if it was them and then explain why you parked there and that you’re sorry it bothered them but people can park anywhere they find a space.

IanW
    Free Member

You could just park consideratly?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its not worth waring with folk who do this as they are showing themselves to be fools who think they can control the road outside this property and they cannot. The bins thing is just petty and shows that rational conversation will not happen.

I tend to speak once and explain it is a road, say I only do it when necessary and ask them not to do it again.
    It rarely works tbh as no matter what you do they think it is unreasonable to park legally where they object.
    My neighbours shouted at me when I asked them to move their car parked on double yellows on a dropped curve so i could get out – I was being an arsehole apparently as they had children -No idea why this mattered either

johndoh
    Free Member

I had this at my old house – used to park on the street outside someone’s house occasionally (she always parked at the back of her house and lived alone). She came out one day and had a real go at me, complaining it spoiled her view (of the road and the house opposite), demanded to know who my employer was (I assume she thought my car was a company car and wanted to complain to them). I politely told her that I owned my own business but she could give me a call if she wanted and went on to explain that it is a public road and I had the right to park where I wanted as and when I wished. So, just to stop me, she started parking there instead – leaving her allocated space at the back of the house empty and blocking her view by her car rather than mine 😆

Ohh, and at the end of the rant at me (and clearly flustered by my being very polite at all times) she told me to rot in hell. She is in her 80s…. 😯

DezB
    Free Member

As this thread is now about PARKING and not NOTES (re. the subject), I googled DD’s words (omitting the last one) and I laughed at:

LoCo
    Free Member

hahaha, there is one house in our street who have to park outside their house (tactical parking of one car in a 2 car spece etc)

Asking people to move their cars and saying residents parking only along with various other strange behaviour etc (public road) everyone else doesn’t care where their cars are parked and find all this very funny, howevr it’s now come to the point no one speaks to them and I feel almost a little sorry for them as they obviously have some issues.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Attempted annexation of the public highway, its always hilarious. Although sort of understandable.

However I seem to recall that attempting to reserve the queen’s highway by putting cones, wheelie bins etc. is an offence under the RTA, and isnt it some offence to leave your bin out when its not bin day? Byelaws and stuff.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I am always amused by people who put “No turning” signs outside their driveways/gates when they live up a dead end side street or access road. It just seems like such an uncharitable thing to do: “You have made a mistake and turned down a dead end road. You will now incur my wrath shoud you choose to extracate yourself using my gate (which is voluminous) instead of reversing 500m down a singletrack road!” W@nkers.
    My friend has such a neighbour and I have on occasion turned/reversed into his driveway for no reason other than my own amusement. No I’m not proud.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sometime I turn in those people’s driveways just for the hell of it. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had a small problem with a new neighbour blocking me in our culdesac, I had to call round a handfull of times to get her to shift her car. So I waited until she parked into the space then pulled my van round and blocked her in for 24hrs.
    Shes never done it since.

richmtb

Nobeer had the answer a while back!

People really do get a bit irrational over parking.

Near my office it can be a real issue. The office is in mixed residential / commercial area of Glasgow, most of the houses are converted tenements with no allocated parking. So every morning people turning up to work and park in the residents “spaces” – its a big office so this has an impact on most of the surrounding streets. 95% of people have absolutely no issues but people have had the cars scratched or the windscreen wipers stolen for parking in a specific “space”

Others attempt to guard their spaces with cones (no doubt stolen!) or the occasional “Residents only” parking sign.

Personally I just park a couple of streets further away to save any aggrovation

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Cut the base of the wheely bins out so when they move them for bin day all their rubbish falls out the bottom.

richmtb

I am always amused by people who put “No turning” signs outside their driveways/gates when they live up a dead end side street or access road. It just seems like such an uncharitable thing to do: “You have made a mistake and turned down a dead end road. You will now incur my wrath shoud you choose to extracate yourself using my gate (which is voluminous) instead of reversing 500m down a singletrack road!” W@nkers.
    My friend has such a neighbour and I have on occasion turned/reversed into his driveway for no reason other than my own amusement. No I’m not proud.

Spot on I’d have done the same

jfletch
    Free Member

Someone on our street let their dog roam free in the street. I saw it take a dump on the verge in front of the house, next to where I park my car with the owners nowhere to be seen.

Should I have
    a) Left a note on the dog
    b) Left a note on the dog’s owner’s car
    c) Marched the dog back to it’s owner’s house and asked them to clean up the offending pile

I did c and I haven’t seen the dog out front since

In our old house we had someone leave a note on our car a few days after we moved in as when had “parked in someones space” in front of their house since there was a skip in our drive and someone else had parked in the space infont of our own house.

How illegal would it be to put a skip in front of someone else’s house?

johndoh
    Free Member

My friend has such a neighbour and I have on occasion turned/reversed into his driveway for no reason other than my own amusement.

And do this…

johndoh
    Free Member

How illegal would it be to put a skip in front of someone else’s house?

As you need permission from your council to site a skip on a highway the skip deliverers wouldn’t drop it without the relevant paperwork. And I think it would be hard to get permission to put it outside another property without the owners’ consent.

Sorry, was that a sensible answer?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Rantette: Notes on cars’ is closed to new replies.