Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Rantette: Notes on cars
  • jfletch
    Free Member

For the OP. Surely the answer is, if at all possible, to avoid using your car until the bins have been moved.

jfletch
    Free Member

As you need permission from your council to site a skip on a highway the skip deliverers wouldn’t drop it without the relevant paperwork. And I think it would be hard to get permission to put it outside another property without the owners’ consent.

Maybe a delivery of a ton of topsoil would be better then!

Dear Topsoil Delivery Person,

I will be out when you arrive but please just leave the load in the middle of the drive.

Yours Sincerely
    A. Nonymous

ads-b
    Free Member

When I had just moved in to our house someone blocked our drive and our car in the garage. Pressumably as they couldnt see the car they thought it wasnt there. The old guy who lived there before us never used his car so assumed it was something people on my street did.

It was 10pm and wasnt going out so wasnt too fussed. But without wanting to knock on every door in the street I decided to leave a polite note on the screen. It was polite. I never complained. Just said we were new to the street and would be usining the garage from now and please dont block the kerb.

Next morning I get an irate neighbour banging on the door and shouting at me for leaving a note. Apparently I was the one in the wrong- go figure.

Havent spoke to her since 7 years ago. Which is a shame as its quite a tight knit close. But her whole family are a bunch of t!ts anyway.

ads-b
    Free Member

This is what someone did over xmas when a bloke parked his mini digger in a floor we were about to screed over the xmas break-

johndoh
    Free Member

Dear Topsoil Delivery Person,

Dear Topsoil Horse Manure Delivery Person,

8)

ekul
    Free Member

My mate had a cracker of a note put on his car last year up in Jesmond. He’s a student so doesn’t really use his car other than trips home and to Morrisons but due to permit issues he leaves his car down the road sometimes for a week or two without moving it. The note said.

“Congratulations, you are currently first place in the running for Jesmond’s most inconsiderate parker. All you have to continue to do in order to win this prestigious title is to continue to leave your car outside other residents homes for weeks on end.

Kind Regards,

Disgruntled Resident”

wwaswas

We live on the edge of a controlled parking zone so a number of residents within the zone but without passes use our road and others to park on.

Longest we had a car outside our house was 8 weeks without moving. Leaving a note on the window was pointless. Leaving a note through the window became increasingly attractive.

There was a complete shed of a dutch Type 4 camper outside for 6 weeks until the council put an ‘abandoned vehicle’ note on it.

No one minds a bit of too and fro on parking but effectively abandoning a car outside anyone’s house is taking the mickey a bit.

ekul
    Free Member

I’m not agreeing with him abandoning the car there to be fair I’d be pretty pissed off if it was outside mine. I did appreciate the approach taken by the resident though rather than a snotty aggressive note.

Johndoh – Looks as though they may have had a little inspiration! Which is rather upsetting tbh 🙁

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I’m tempted to stick a note on a car at work. The carpark does not have any marked spaces but most people seem to park in a sensible fashion, apart form Mr D. Head in his sports car. He always parks right near the entrance and in the way of all other car park user. It must save his little legs at least 30 seconds every day parking closer to his office.

At the of end last year a neighbour sat in their car for about half an hour blasting their horn because a car was parked on the street in front of their terraced house.

ransos
    Free Member

It amazes me that people expect by right to leave their private property on public land.

sobriety
    Free Member

One thing that confuses me is that, in my street, people with drives park in the road, surely putting your car on the drive, where some other numpty is less likely to drive into it, is a good idea?

greyman
    Free Member

It amazes me that people expect by right to leave their private property on public land.

I think you have to have a ‘tax disc’ on it to leave it on the public highway ?

BoardinBob

One thing that confuses me is that, in my street, people with drives park in the road, surely putting your car on the drive, where some other numpty is less likely to drive into it, is a good idea?

This happens in my street. Every resident has a space or garage, yet loads park outside their space or garage to stop non-residents parking in the street 😕

schnor
    Free Member

The last bad snow (early april) a few on our street got caught out and had to leave our cars at the bottom of the hill. As soon as the plough passed I took about 90 mins to clear a space outside (yes just for me) so I could nip down and drive back as I’d basically dumped my car the night before and knew it’d be a pain to get past

In the 5 minutes I was gone hadn’t a woman parked up and was getting out ready to go for a walk?

“Me – I’ve just spent the last 90 minutes clearing a space for my car. If you want to make a space for yourself here’s my shovel”

“*giggle* I wondered why there was just the one space!”

“Me – 😐 “

At least I didn’t shoot her (no 3) though.

sandwicheater

We had something similar. Terrace housing and for the most part people park outside there house. If you can’t, no bother, I don’t own the street.

Street was full so wife parks at the bottom of the road were there is about 50m of wall/street so your not in front of anyone’s house.

Letter the next day on the car as 2ft of the bumper was in fornt of a house, 2ft!! Still space for them to park and terrace house so not blocking access.

Wife was really upset so pop over. Was not sure what I was going to say but explain it would be wise not to leave a note on the car again. no one in.

Need to vent steam so park our seldom used second car right in front of there house and leave it there for the next 2 weeks. Numerous letters on the window just ignored. Eventually they came to my door and asked me to move the car. Childish and I’m not proud but made me giggle.

rocketman
    Free Member

Every resident has a space or garage, yet loads park outside their space or garage to stop non-residents parking in the street

Yup ours is just the same

nasher
    Free Member

This was attached to my Van the other day in deepest darkest Surrey. The van isn’t even no where near her house, and its parked on the unlit side of the street, the other side is empty. Worst thing is she called my lovely van “horrid” how very middle class!!!

MrNutt
    Free Member

why on earth didn’t you simply move your car, move her wheelie bins to her gateway and filled them to the brim with cold water.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

OP:Do you have a spare anvil or two? When your friendly neighbour is out relocate the wheelie bins to the front of their house and then weight them down a bit.

Houns

To be fair if you park on a path you are a pratt

cheers_drive

At least you’re not in Moscow. There are next to no car park in Moscow yet everyone drives to prove their wealth. This lead to cars being parked in every available spot. Several people have been shot as punishment for parking in someone elses regular spot on a public road 😯

nasher
    Free Member

If i didnt park on the path (there is about another 5ft of path to go past) i would block the road

ransos
    Free Member

I think you have to have a ‘tax disc’ on it to leave it on the public highway ?

Said “tax disc” doesn’t give you any parking rights.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

edlong
    Free Member

Said “tax disc” doesn’t give you any parking rights.

Umm, I’m pretty sure it does actually, just no more particular rights to park (legally) on the highway outside any particular address than anyone else’s tax disc does…

ransos
    Free Member

Umm, I’m pretty sure it does actually, just no more particular rights to park (legally) on the highway outside any particular address than anyone else’s tax disc does…

I think we’re saying the same thing – it doesn’t give you the right to a parking space.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

has no one suggested weeing in her wheelie bins?

Why not be a decent chap, return them to her garden then padlock them in place for a couple of weeks in case they escape again?

Cougar

it doesn’t give you the right to a parking space.

Perhaps not, but the Road Traffic Act does I’d wager. However,

Are parking spaces real?

When parking against someones garden wall where there is a pavement then you have to have the owners permission?

“Parking spaces” in this context are not real. Property owners have no claim to the road outside their house, unless clearly marked as such. The presence or absence of someone’s garden wall and / or pavement is irrelevant. It’s not “their” road or “their” parking space; it’s not a parking space at all, it’s a public highway where parking is not restricted.

If I park outside someone’s house and they object, the likelihood of me moving it is proportional to the politeness of their request.

We had something similar. Terrace housing and for the most part people park outside there house. If you can’t, no bother, I don’t own the street.

Pretty much the same as me. The big problem is that everyone has to park *exactly* outside their own house, which means between every car there’s a gap almost-but-not-quite large enough to get another car into. If they all parked ‘normally’ there’d be room for another half dozen. Doesn’t help either that two houses now have “disabled” bays demarked; one’s a sensible size and the other inexplicably is large enough to house one of those smaller buses. I don’t really care if one of the neighbours parks in front of my house, but I do get vexed when I’ve to park somewhere in the next time zone because people leave four yards between each car.

DT78
    Free Member

Never got to the stage of writing a note but I got seriously angry when we had a dump of a campervan parked directly outside our house from March to October without moving eventually it ran out of road tax, I reported it and it disappeared at the same time next doors car was also parked outside our house without moving. Turns out he’d spent a short stint inside. Both gone now much happier.

No issue with people parking outside my house if they are actually using the car and I can occassionally park!

Dont really get rude notes, it isn’t going to have the desired outcome. A friend who parked his car in a neighbouring estate whilst working ended up getting it badly keyed after a month….he didn’t park there again

CountZero

It’s not just car parking that attracts the passive/aggressive note:

One is begged to ask one particular question… 😉

grahamt1980

We had someone dump a van across the entrance to our drive one night.
    Turned out they were moving in and didn’t want to leave it anywhere else.
    Trouble was I had been out in the car and was a little pissed that I was blocked out.
    Short blast of the horn and then reasonably explaining why they should bloody move got it sorted.
    Still don’t think they could see what was wrong though.
    Apart from that doesn’t bother me if people park on the grass outside our house. Annoys the hell out of one of the old gits on the road though as it makes it muddy.

cbike
    Free Member

I would retaliate with an all out consultation on residential parking permits, costing everyone money. They won’t like that. Caution. could backfire.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I would ignore it completely and never engage in any sort of communication. Park where you like and if she does it again just move the bin. What is the point in any discourse, she’s obviously completely up herself.

Cougar

One is begged to ask one particular question

Would that be “how did you manage to create a daughter in a godful way?”?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

This happens on my street, everybody has a drive but a load of ’em park half on the path/road, on a corner too making it a big slalom and a pain in the arse if there’s another car coming. Really boils my piss, worst offender is a National Windscreens van who insists on parking fully on the path while his drive sits empty making pedestrians walk on the road. ****. My first task after winning the lottery will be too smash my own van down the side of every single one of ’em.

drlex
    Free Member

…a National Windscreens van who insists on parking fully on the path…

Surprised that he doesn’t become his own best customer. Sadly, on a couple of occasions, my pedals have unavoidably marked similar vehicles when passing on thus-restricted cycleways.

hora
    Free Member

Tbh it really annoys me when people part-park on pavements because they fear wing mirror damage. Funny how the vehicles in question are never worth **** all.

user-removed
    Free Member

The incredibly rude, butch lesbian a few doors up from us screams at anyone unlucky enough to park in ‘her’ space (public road outside her terraced house). I had to park there a few months after we moved in as the neighbour was in ‘our’ space. Within ten minutes she was hammering at the door and telling my wife to shift that f’ing car.

She’s a Grade-A cock.

breadcrumb

My mates neighbour started parking his van outside my mates house instead of his own so he didn’t block the light out of his living room.

This upset my mate so he parked his tractor complete with trailer outside the van owners house- he took the hint and now parks with more consideration.

CountZero

Would that be “how did you manage to create a daughter in a godful way?”?

Hmmmmm, something like that…
    Although they would probably claim her conception was immaculate. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Rantette: Notes on cars’ is closed to new replies.