Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Ramones tees- wtf is going on?
  • vinnyeh

I've always thought that Ramones tees were the preserve of balding, slightly overweight, middle class professionals in their 40's staking out their rebellious youth credentials, or goths in dressdown mode.
    Over the last few weeks I've noticed more and more of them on really young kids, culminating in yesterdays sighting of a podgy pre-pubescent in a white shirt with the logo shot through with rainbow colours reminiscent of a care bears logo, and a girl that couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 wearing a pink Ramones tee.
    What the hell is going on here? Has the band replaced Hannah Montana as the epitome of cool to the underage? Is this some sort of obscure ironic statement that I'm too old to be party to? And what's with the colourisation of the shirts?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I've absolutely no idea what a Ramones tee is, so can't help.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lots of da yoof in Appetite tees as well.

skidartist
    Free Member

With younger kids it'll be their parents buying them, you can get Ramones baby grows.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep noticed that in my kids mags, all the current crop of 'screamo' then the Rammones.
    They'll be going to school with PVC Pan-Am shoulder bags soon.

twinklydave

It's cos they is on sale in topshop innit.

I made the mistake of asking some yoof in an AC/DC top a few months back what he thought of the new album and got a wonderfully blank look in response

binners

Its… like… just SOOOOOOO post-modern and like TOTALLY ironic.

Loser!

colb
    Free Member

*cries into his horlicks*

punk rocks dream lost in the world of mass consumerism…….

skidartist
    Free Member

When was Punk Rock not Consumerism? Everyone's got a Ramones album haven't they?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There are so many around – Motorhead, Ramones, AC/DC, GnR etc.

Quite a few won't even realise what they are wearing (certainly in the case of Motorhead and The Ramones)…

colb
    Free Member

When bands didn't sell their souls for money and global marketing, when they still cared about the music they made instead of releasing absolute sh1te ala Green Day & Offsprings last few albums……

having an album is slightly different to marketing everything from mousemats to burgers….

mAx_hEadSet

Hardly crept up, first spotted this #trend 4 years ago on the streets of Madrid, ever since Ramones tops have been 10 a penny even without looking.. I still have a few originals back from 78 in good nick which are way to small for me and am waiting for the vintage retro tshirt fad to kick in so kids who must have the originals and not modern copies will be queuing up to buy them at well over the top prices… rocket to russia

nickc

When slackers have kids…

Jezwick
    Free Member

nickc – Member

When slackers have kids…

you wally

DezB
    Free Member

Er, this isn't a recent thing at all. It's about 4 years ago all these "punk" t-shirts were fashionable.
    Made me laugh people like Cheryl Cole wearing Ramones or Iggy t-shirts when they hadn't a clue who they were.
    My fave was the glittery one with PUNK written in ransom lettering.

brooess
    Free Member

My four-year old godson is the proud owner of a Metallica t-shirt that I bought him for his birthday. I've taught him the Metal salute and everything 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Made me laugh people like Cheryl Cole wearing Ramones or Iggy t-shirts when they hadn't a clue who they were.

Would seem quite unlikely that someone fairly well versed in the business has never heard of the Ramones or Iggy? Even if their styles are a million miles apart.

kimbers

topshop next etc were doing loads of these tees about 3 or 4 years ago, Ramones, GnR etc etc

at the moment comic characters are very big, x-men spiderman, batman etc

if youve only just noticed this now you must be in some kind of fashion backwater!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I think it was a shop called 'Truffle Shuffle' that were selling Ramones stylee shirts with the names of the Osmonds on instead. PMSL.

DezB
    Free Member

fairly well versed in the business You sure about that?

MadPierre

My 11 year old nephew asked to borrow my "best of" Ramones CDs last weekend. I was happy to oblige.

Think the request came about because Surfin' bird is used on some advert? Whatever? If it gets him into some decent old tunes! 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, I'm not sure – I dont know her personally. But I still would give her/someone from the industry the benefit of the doubt, rather than assuming someone working in the industry has no idea about it.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Sadly coffeking, it is just an industry these days. Cowell's got a lot to answer for in my opinion.

slowjo
    Free Member

Haven't seen any Dead Kennedy's, Stiff LIttle Fingers, X Ray Spex, Siouxie etc tees yet so punk hasn't completely sold out……..yet! Not that it really matters if they did.

The Ramones…. always a tad too commercial IMO anyway, though good for a few minutes jumping about. Sadly I 'm ust too old to jump about any more…… wanders off into senile dribble fest! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

No, I'm not sure – I dont know her personally. But I still would give her/someone from the industry the benefit of the doubt, rather than assuming someone working in the industry has no idea about it.

You wouldn't think it far more likely that its the product of the latest "designer" they are choosing to wear?

Edit: sorry, did I say "choosing"? "Being told by their image consultant to wear", is what I meant.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

when i was a bouncer about 4 years ago i used to make anyone wearing a ramones tshirt name at least one ramones tune before they were allowed in. the blank looks on some poeples faces were amazing. power tripping, happy times!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

When bands didn't sell their souls for money and global marketing, when they still cared about the music they made instead of releasing absolute sh1te ala Green Day & Offsprings last few albums……

The Ramones spent their entire time making records they were convinced were going to be the one that made them go mega. Even roping Phil Spector in to produce an album. So in many respects their entire ethic was to make money and global marketing (tee shirts…?).

Though to be fair, they didn't really change their style.

Bit sad they made more money through tee shirts than records bought.

Pigface
    Free Member

I was out with a mate in Newport a few years ago when he saw this guy wearing a Ramones T. With out blinking he went up to this guy and said "I will give you £50 if you can name me any of the Ramones" The bloke couldnt name one and just looked confused. As we were walking away my mate confessed he didnt have 50 quid and was cacking himself but it just annoyed him.

DezB
    Free Member

"I will give you £50 if you can name me any of the Ramones"

Risky! Seeing as their names are on the t-shirt!

nickc

Sorry, did i offend?

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

err barry,derek and Tito ramone. Is I right ? Does I get me fifty euros??

Pigface
    Free Member

Not sure any of DA BRUDDERS was called Hey, Ho, Lets or Go.

Young Master Riley send me your account details and your account will be suitably altered 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Dezb is right
    about 4 years ago one of the top designers started doing punk tees and the likes of Beckham and A jollie were snapped in Crass tees (might have been Versachi (sp?) or someone like that). this is the high street catching up.

Being a big Crass fan myself in the day (I even saw them live at Hebden Bridge in 1982) I'm still not sure if I'm appaulled or a bit chuffed. I don't think Penny Rimbald is very amused.

kimbers

catching up, like i said this trend is on its way out now!?

but then "fashion is something so ugly it has to be changed every 15 minutes"

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I have an Iron Maiden T-shirt that is faded through age and washing…not because I paid £40 for it at Cult Clothing!

That sh!t is just Jack Wills for the kids who want to rebel a bit with out loosing their allowence 🙂

I am old…

SSP

CountZero

Same goes for all the teenagers I see wearing Led Zeppelin US Tour tees. I doubt if many were actually born when Zep broke up, and when they were gigging, their tees had an iron-on decal, and weren't silkscreened. I had a Physical Grafitti Tour tee, and the design started to fade within months. Yes tees around that time were the same. Really miffed about that. 😥

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Ramones tees- wtf is going on?’ is closed to new replies.