Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)
  • Raheem Sterling
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i say sell him. if he doesnt want to stay then its no point keeping him as all he’ll do is sulk and poison the dressing room next season….i dont think he has it in him to be able to perform in the same way as suarez did in his last season before being sold
    if he is sold then sell him to the highest bidder. let them pay him the money he thinks his assumed elevated status deserves and let him spend a few seasons on the bench twiddling his thumbs….he can be the next David May!
    he can go on about any potential move being about footballing reasons, but we all know that is plain BS…its about the money, always has been. the fact that he’s allowed his agent to believe his own hype that after 1 very good season riding on the coat tails of suarez and 1 below average season, he suddenly thinks he is genuine world class shows how deluded he has become and how easily he is manipulated by those around him. their advice will be of no benefit to his career but will be of great benefit to their own bank balances especially if the big money move does happen.

once Liverpool do get the money, i dont think it should be spent until the following has taken place:
    the transfer committee is removed from post and a director of football is appointed
    Bodgers is told that he will now work under this new DoF and will have to accept this is the way things will now happen, or he is replaced by Klopp

he is a young manager and has the potential to do well but i think Liverpool came for him a bit too soon. he needs guidance from an experienced manager so he would benefit from working under a director of football
    there are some who want to see the return of Rafa…if this is the case then why not have the 2 working together?
    for all his faults, just like Bodgers, Rafa also very nearly won the league when they came second…his premiership tactics may have been questionable but his tactical knowledge/ability when playing in Europe was hard to fault

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Man utd approaching liverpool for raheem.

won’t happen

April 1964 was the last time there was business between the clubs

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nope, it is a great shame that actually winning the league is only available to a few clubs, but the reality is that the quality of football on show week in week out in the premiership is far far higher than it ever was in the past.

That one is debatable, and can be argued either way until you are blue in the face.

But what can’t be argued is that the amount of money, particularly the sky money, has had a hugely detrimental effect on the English national side.

MSP

Bollocks.

The biggest problem for the English national side and young English players have is the lack of proper coaches, Germany and Spain have something like 20+ times as many qualified coaches as the UK.

Blaming the money is just an excuse for not actually tacking the real problem.

jambalaya
    Free Member

But what can’t be argued is that the amount of money, particularly the sky money, has had a hugely detrimental effect on the English national side.

Agreed. Alan Sugar pointed out when the PL was formed and the Sky money came in that unless the league kept a big part of it it would go straight out of the clubs and into players wages. The PL pays so well it attracts all the foreign players and our home grown talent finds it very hard to get a look in. Spurs nearly sold Harry Kane and he’d been out on loan numerous times (Leyton Orient, Millwall, Leicester, Norwich) all this before he was 20

MSP just think about how many coaches the PL could hire if it kept more of the TV revnue. Also we have the PL and the FA fighting against each other, the top clubs where (are) very greedy and not interested in the national side, the formation of the PL was so they could keep the money and dictate terms to the FA

Junkyard
    Free Member

has had a hugely detrimental effect on the English national side.

You were average before and you are still average/ still make the tournaments still dont win them

England are a very good team and consistently top 10 world side but they have never been top top drawer in my lifetime. IIRC they are also the only team to have only won one major honour – they won the world cup but i forget what year as they so rarely mention it- and no other and never made another final in any major competition. The EPL did not do this and the best players still make it through its just that the journey man pro is less common.

MSP

MSP just think about how many coaches the PL could hire if it kept more of the TV revnue.

It isn’t about coaches in the PL it is the coaches in schools and youth clubs etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And it’s not as if the money is spent on top talent, apart from the odd exception, most of the worlds best, I mean the real cream, don’t go to England.

Look at how much money the likes of Villa, Newcastle et al have wasted on mediocre foreign players, it’s quite sickening. I recall watching Man City and Chelsea play last season and neither side had one homegrown player in their entire SQUAD never mind their first team.

Mental.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It isn’t about coaches in the PL it is the coaches in schools and youth clubs etc.

As soon as a boy is signed by a club, he’s not allowed to play for his school, even at 7 or 8 years old.

Rockape63
    Free Member

As soon as a boy is signed by a club, he’s not allowed to play for his school, even at 7 or 8 years old.

Really? Is that true? I can understand why, but removing the best kid from his school team is appalling, as its a fantastic part of life for a sporty school kid. It was the only thing I was any good at in my school days!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s certainly the case where I live (In Scotland, but can’t see England being any different?)

There are secondary schools that are football centres of excellence up here for each region, frinstance all the young boys that are signed pro-youth (what an awful name, makes them billy big boots before they’re old enough to know better) go to Grange academy in Kilmarnock, no matter where they live in the region.

muggomagic

I recall watching Man City and Chelsea play last season and neither side had one homegrown player in their entire SQUAD never mind their first team.

If that is true, then it would hardly be the norm for those 2 teams though. Chelsea without John Terry and Cahill and City without Hart and Milner in the squads wouldn’t be their 1st choice.

England look like a half decent side at the moment and a lot of the better players are still to hit their prime, so with a lot of luck and a decent coach they could do well come Russia 2018 or Qatar 2022.

jambalaya
    Free Member

MSP I meant the PL could pay for the coaches, if you imagine the PL and FA where one and say, 25% of the TV money went to them then it would make a huge huge difference. The players could still live very very nicely on 75% of their wages.

A good MTB mate lived in Germany for a few years and his son went through the German youth system. He was mightily impressed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

England look like a half decent side at the moment and a lot of the better players are still to hit their prime

Been hearing that old chestnut since the days of Beckham, Scholes etc…

Rockape63
    Free Member

England look like a half decent side at the moment and a lot of the better players are still to hit their prime, so with a lot of luck and a decent coach they could do well come Russia 2018 or Qatar 2022.

don’t waste your time and energy even thinking it possible…….we are shit!

(in tournaments)

MSP

MSP I meant the PL could pay for the coaches, if you imagine the PL and FA where one and say, 25% of the TV money went to them then it would make a huge huge difference. The players could still live very very nicely on 75% of their wages.

Spain have managed to get all those coaches with a much poorer league where all the money just flows into 2 clubs. Blaming the PL is just an easy excuse. The lack of English players in the top clubs is just another symptom, it isn’t the cause.

Junkyard
    Free Member

England look like a half decent side at the moment

They are but braxil and germany look brilliant and half decent teams rarely win tournaments as their record shows.

They will always be half decent, occasionally very good and once [ at home] world beaters.

Saccades
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    Is it a real option or just a move to unsettle him?

Th elater I assume we dont really need him do we
    Depay, Valencia, Di Maria, Young, Mata??……not exactly short in this area are we.

You forgot about Nani!

And I wouldn’t really class Mata or valencia as attacking wing forward types.

Think Rockape has right – England just don’t cut it at tournaments for whatever reason. Doesn’t matter on the manager (we’ve had enough of the best come through).

muggomagic

I’ve no doubt that we will continue to be nothing more than mediocre in major tournaments. Though Greece showed in 2004 that you don’t have to be the best team to win a tournament, you just need

a lot of luck and a decent coach

djambo
    Free Member

back to raheem.

I’m a LFC fan and think the club should sell.

It pains me to say it but Fergie would have not taken stick like this. At the first sign of any trouble/descent/big headedness he shipped them out of the club no matter how good a player (Stam, RVN etc).

Sterling is one of those players that excites to watch but his final touch/finishing/decisions tend to be poor. With his pace I wouldn’t be surprised if his hammies start going in the next year or two anyway and we’ll all be questioning whether he’ll ever get back to his former ‘greatness’.

I say take the money and be rid. Whether BR can be trusted to spend it wisely is a whole other debate!

Junkyard
    Free Member

You forgot about Nani!

Yes I did ….. damn he is coming back isnt he.

And I wouldn’t really class Mata or valencia as attacking wing forward types.

Hence the ?? for our ghost winger and Valencia is a winger
    Either way they are still where he would be
    I hope we are just winding up the scousers

Saccades
    Free Member

I quite like Nani – I think he suffered because he can play left/right (preferring right), whereas Valencia can only play right side.

Lost his confidence after that daft red card against BM as before that he was ace for a coupla goals and loads of assists.

Junkyard
    Free Member

on his day he is world class but he is erratic to the point not even he knows what he will do next.

muggomagic

The thing both Manc clubs have lacked in attack this season has been pace. They both have a lot of players in those positions but none of them would be considered quick. Utd have Depay now, so probably don’t need Sterling, but a forward 3 of Sterling, Rooney and Depay would be good to watch.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH our ball retention /ponderous attack policy/slow pace means we could find room for Teddy sheringham in the line up 😉

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

sterling is going to have to do some serious grovelling if he wants to stay. Reds have cancelled the meeting tomorrow after agent claims he would sign for 900k per week.

I’m sure the 10% in fees are worth it. My guess hes already signed up somewhere else and the agent is getting some air time. I pity the club thats done the deal. Sterling aka new balotelli?

Rockape63
    Free Member

sterling is going to have to do some serious grovelling if he wants to stay

It appears he doesn’t, BBC quote: Agent says Sterling will not sign Liverpool deal

wrecker
    Free Member

Reds have cancelled the meeting tomorrow after agent claims he would sign for 900k per week.

I read that he wouldn’t sign for £900K, or any amount. His agents outburst indicated that he wants to leave Liverpool and that’s it.
    I’m not a soccer fan but I do find these little public spats so interesting in a voyeur way.
    From an outsider, he just seems unhappy and wants to go elsewhere.

weeksy

Just don’t understand it to be honest unless he actually believes he’s a lot better than he looks to me.

I’d rather be in the starting 11 every week in front of 55,000 shouting my name at Anfield instead of sitting on the bench at City/Arsenal/Wherever he ends up… Very strange.

I always wonder “is there more to it…”

Looking at players like Suarez to Barca, Bale to RM, Ronaldo to RM, hell, they all make sense to me. But to sign for clubs where you’re either not going to play or not accomplish any more.. it’s weird.

In my head I can’t grasp the difference between £100k per week and £200k I guess… it’s all irrelevant, Lets say at £100k that’s £5m a year… or £10m a year… if you have a playing life of say the next 10 years.. that’s £50m or £100m… plus of course the sponsorship deals lets call them £25mill… So he’s pocketed £75m or £125m…. does it matter ? Really ? In the grand scheme of things…

Sheesh.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s partly ego but mostly the fact the agent get’s a percentage especially of transfer fees. It’s in the agent’s interest he signs for a new club.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you could look at it from the view he’s got 10 years at the top, try and earn as much money as you can

his agent is a **** though plain and simple

binners

You do realise that United have just put the story in the press that they’re interested to wind the scousers up, don’t you? And bump the price up that City will end up paying.

Nobody goes from OT direct to Anfield, or the other way.

Paul Ince went indirectly and ended up there. And I have never seen anyone at the receiving end of that level of vitriolic abuse at OT. It was relentless and full-blooded for 90 minutes!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

probably nothing to do with United either, just a press story

loddrik
    Free Member

Raheem who..?

chestrockwell

His agent is taking legal advise due to the story of ‘not for 900k’ being incorrect apparently.

Why do you all say he’d be leaving to warm the bench of another team? Arsenal maybe but he’d get games at Chelsea and would be a starter at Man City imo. Who have they got that would keep him out?

Don’t agree it’s all about the money either. Where ever he plays he will be on a huge salary. Take Glen Johnson as the example that Liverpool pay top money so to suggest he will be on loads more somewhere else don’t stack up. He obviously thinks he has more chance of winning stuff at another club and I’d personally believe someone who plays for a club and sees what goes on behind the scenes over some fans on the internet.

weeksy

Why do you all say he’d be leaving to warm the bench of another team?

Because IMO he’s not good enough to play regularly in a ‘better’ team.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player, on his day he’s fantastic, but he’s a bit clueless at times and drfits out of games very regularly.

gonzy
    Free Member

I always wonder “is there more to it…”

of course there is….he’s been tapped up via his agent by another club. thats why he’s stalled on the new contract and his agent is doing everything he can to force through a move. if the club make an approach they know it will get rejected so the only way they can get him is if he forces himself out of the club.

It’s partly ego but mostly the fact the agent get’s a percentage especially of transfer fees. It’s in the agent’s interest he signs for a new club.

its for this reason that the agent is saying what he has said so far. if he can widen the rift between the player and club the more likely it is that the transfer will happen and he gets his bumper pay day.

Take Glen Johnson as the example that Liverpool pay top money

they gave him that big salary when they first signed him for £18m. he was then offered an extension on the same money…but it ends at the end of this season. he was offered a new deal on less money, which is what he should have been on in the first place. he’s decided he doesnt want that deal and will be moving on in the summer.

Why do you all say he’d be leaving to warm the bench of another team?

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player, on his day he’s fantastic, but he’s a bit clueless at times and drfits out of games very regularly.
    +1….i hope he doesnt get too many sores and splinters from sitting on the bench…wherever he ends up(!)

Raheem who..?

😆

chestrockwell

they gave him that big salary when they first signed him for £18m. he was then offered an extension on the same money…but it ends at the end of this season. he was offered a new deal on less money, which is what he should have been on in the first place. he’s decided he doesnt want that deal and will be moving on in the summer.

The point I was making was that Liverpool can afford to pay top money so can afford to pay Stirling what he wants if they want to. They will not be priced out of keeping him if they want to keep him. This being the case it’s not all about money.

Look at Manchester City. Are you saying Nasri, Navas, Jovetic, Dezeko or Milner will definitely keep him out if he’s playing well?

How many players have Manchester United, Spurs or Chelsea got that you can say, if all playing at the same level will definitely start ahead of him? I’m not saying he’s ace but he’s good enough to challenge for a starting place at any of the big clubs except possibly Arsenal who stock pile players in his positions.

He could move and be a flop or move and really kick on in his career. Which way it goes will be up to him.

gonzy
    Free Member

The point I was making was that Liverpool can afford to pay top money so can afford to pay Stirling what he wants if they want to. They will not be priced out of keeping him if they want to keep him. This being the case it’s not all about money.

fair point. yes they can afford to pay that sort of money…but he has already turned down close to 100k a week already…this is a significant increase form the £30k he is currently on. to command a bigger salary i would have thought he would have to prove his worth be being consistently good and not consistently inconsistent!
    it is about the money…no doubt about it. i cant see how its for football reasons, especially when liverpool came within 2 points of clinching the title last season. this season they were in the CL and went on 2 good cup runs…where was Sterling? what did he contribute to this? IIRC he was nowhere to be seen for the majority of these games and contributed very little. if he is as good as he thinks he is then he would have done more instead of doing a disappearing act in crucial games.
    someone mentioned in an earlier post that it was suarez who made him look good last season by helping him and giving him positional advice and playing the ball into him in good positions. if this is the case and he learnt new things off an better player, now that that better player has gone….why hasnt he been able to add what he learnt last season and apply it this season?
    i’ll be glad to see him go…Ibe is a better prospect anyway.

chestrockwell

Look at it another way. Liverpool got in to the top four last season on the back of Manchester United having a shocker (which was hilarious), Spurs doing a Spurs, and having a front two in the form of their life.

This season they’ve been way off and were awful in the CL. They were beaten in the FA Cup by a relegation threatened team and never looked like winning anything. Before last season they looked miles off the top four and only likely to win a cup every now and then. It looks like last season was a blip and they’re back to where they were.

If he moves to one of the top four he is miles more likely to play in the CL and regularly win stuff. If you disagree with this please tell me which of the current top four Liverpool are likely to replace any time soon?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Raheem Sterling’ is closed to new replies.