Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • rack for cx disc bike
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve decided to do the most heinous thing and commuterize my cross bike.

Looking at racks. I noticed the axiom streamliner disc

but then i realise I probably don’t need to clear where the disc is because it’s not mounted on the outside of the stay

(Only photo i could find showing the correct side)

Has anyone mounted a non disc rack to a bike with discs where they are attached this way?

aP
    Free Member

Yes, my 2010 Trek Portland has a chainstay mounted rear disc brake, I just bought a rack at the bike shop up the road and bolted it on. It even worked quite well with mudguards as well. In 2012-23 I was riding about 200 miles a week with panniers on my commute, never a problem.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Hey aP. What make was your rack?

garlic
    Free Member

My Tubus rack’s lower stays are widely spaced to fit over awkward dropouts- you can fit spacers and longer bolts to clear awkward dropout designs disk brakes. I fitted it to my Surly KM Ops without any issues.

From the photos I’ve seen of Axiom Streamliner Disc, it’s basically a conventional rack with long arms supplied to clear the dropout / disc brake and have the rack sat further back for heel clearance on bikes with short chainstays.

There’s quite a few photos online of people’s Streamliner installs. Do a Google image search and see what you think.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I went for the Bontrager Back Rack for Disc from Evans, paired with SKS longboards for full commuterisation of my CAADX. The rack has extra long posts near the bottom to give more clearance around the disk area.
    Nice and light too.

trickydisco
    Free Member

went for the Bontrager Back Rack for Disc from Evans

Does that rack fit frames with no eyelets?

avdave2

I’ve put this on my Croix de Fer which with Marathon Sport tyres and full guards as my utility bike.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve put this on my Croix de Fer which with Marathon Sport tyres and full guards as my utility bike.

Do you need eyelets for that rack?

techsmechs
    Free Member

You need this – proper job

Thule Magic

avdave2

Do you need eyelets for that rack?

You do, Id thought you just had the problem of clearing the disks but I see it’s more of a challenge than that.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d say a lack of eyelets is a bigger problem than clearing discs. I’ve always been able to make a rack fit wherever the calliper is though, sometimes with some spacers required.

I have used P-clips for mudguards but not convinced they’d offer much security for a rack.

Pickers

Tubus (and others I’m sure) do racks with lower fixings that will attach to the qr skewer, P clips would be fine to attach to the seat stays.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay. You definitely need eyelets for the bonty rack.

trickydisco
    Free Member
    benp1

Topeak explorer rack. There’s a disc mount one that works fine on my Arkose – it has disc brakes, full guards and a hitch for a trailer too. I REALLY like the MTX feature on it. I use a topeak rack pack as my work bag if I’m on the bike, I also have a folding milk crate thing that fits on for shopping. A kid seat then attaches in less than a minute by clamping onto the whole rack. It’s ace

It’s a commuter workhorse at the moment, would have done 60 miles of commuting by the time I get home today

Here’s a pic

kcal

it’s even named for you, t disco 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

it’s even named for you, t disco

Hadn’t spotted that (xmas do last night.. 6 pints. 11 month son woke me at 5am)
    😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘rack for cx disc bike’ is closed to new replies.