Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Racing solo – advice please
  • mdb
    Free Member

I'm doing the Brighton Big Dog solo in a couple of weeks and would appreciate any advice on what to do before and during the race as its my first go at racing solo.

Its only a 6 hour event so hopefully not such a big step up from when i have raced it in a pair for the last 2 years.

I'm racing un-supported.

Cheers.

flatfish
    Free Member

just ride a bit slower otherwise you'll follow the faster riders and end up blowing. dont ride at someone elses pace, ignore everybody else.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Fit Raleigh Puncture Protection tubes from cyclelife.com and Continetal Grand Prix Supersonics 20C from wiggle.co.uk Make sure your cables do not have horsetails[causes brake failure-not good] plus would reccomend if you have caliper brakes fit Aztec v-brake blocks Learn to bank and to pedal downhill with little or no use of the brakes Also learn to ground read as you will need it to pick the best racing line especially with todays lunar roads A comfy saddle helps and like the Allay from Topeak which comes in a selection of widths Do not forget to make sure your bike is machanically sound as it will take a hammering during the race

trail_rat
    Free Member

are you for real tyredocter – you dont half talk shite ! – if you do the opposite pretty much of what he says – why in gods name would he fit road tires to his mtb for an mtb race ? and horses tails (presuming you mean frayed cables) do not cause brake failure

thomthumb
    Free Member

Do not forget to make sure your bike is machanically sound

bang on except its spelt mechanically!!

super solo is all about organisation. I use two colour bottles one has water one has energy drink in. i imagine you won't need a tyre change in a 6hr race?

the best thing is be ready early. I'd aim to have the bike ready a week before – so that if some thing is wrong you have time to sort it (i found my rim was cracked 7 days before 24:12!!).

the night before have an early night. I have a drink – often a G&T (quinnine is good) as otherwise i worry about the race and don't sleep well – i also get shot down on here by the serious racers for this.

do you need to eat in a 6 hour?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Learn to bank

indeed a career in the finance sector will allow you to employ a top trainer and possibly get you a podium place; however i think thats more of a long term goal!! 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Racing solo – advice please’ is closed to new replies.