Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick domestic lighting wiring question?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have a lighting ring to the switch, the circuit it feeds will have perhaps eight light units. Would it be worthwhile to have this circuit installed as a ring too?

properbikeco
    Free Member

most lighting is wired radial these days, makes fault finding much much easier

rwamartin
    Free Member

I assume you mean making the switched lives to the lights a ring? No, wouldn’t do it like that. Radial to the lights. Assuming eight units at 50watts a unit = 400W total lighting. 400W < 2 amps. 1mm cable carries at worst 8amps buried in insulation so all ok. Use LEDs and there is less than a quarter of an amp drawn.
    Rich.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The lights are presently 120W halogen floodlights with a 1.5mm cable. Still OK? I may replace them with LEDs when I get the first bill.

rwamartin
    Free Member

120w x 8 = 960W 960/230 = 4.17 amps. 1.5mm cable will carry at least 10amps so 🙂

Obviously normal caveats apply to all advice as I’m not on site to confirm anything.

Rich.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

FYI you can get some LED lamps now that are a direct replacement for linear tungsten halogen lamps. Prices are sensible too at £8ish…
    Google J118

mcmoonter
    Free Member

FYI you can get some LED lamps now that are a direct replacement for linear tungsten halogen lamps. Prices are sensible too at £8ish…
    Google J118

Thanks for that.

BigJohn

Most unusual to have the ring to the switch. Usually it goes to the ceiling rose and just a live and switched live at the switch.

rwamartin
    Free Member

I normally wire to the switch. To a rose is great when there is a rose but nowdays it’s often downlighters or other fancy stuff that needs all the rose connections lost in the ceiling (where you can’t get to them) or in the fitting (which are too small to take them). The downside is that there are more wires in the wall and box so it requires 35mm deep boxes to get them all in.
    Rich.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick domestic lighting wiring question?’ is closed to new replies.