Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Question for the Mavic 717 riders out there
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

What’s the widest tyre you’ve put on your rims?

Mavic website recommends up to 2.1.

transapp
    Free Member

2.25 nobby nic snake skins. No problems in several thousand miles

robhughes
    Free Member

Iv,e had 2.35 nevegal wires on them in the past.Running 2.2 bontrager xr4 team issue folding now with no problems.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks Jota.

That’s exactly what I needed.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Wheel is much better with 2.1’s than 2.3’s. I ran conti 2.3’s on my 717’s bit squirmy to be honest. Changed to maxxis Larsens 2.0s much better. Now run 719’s and probably should of gone up to 21’s. Solid wheel though for a 17 not had any probs and I’m a big lad.

Northwind

The website says 2.1, the wheel says 2.3. I had genuine 2.35s on mine and no bother at all though used to run a little more pressure than I do now.

bland

I had a 2.4 Advantage on for a while, ok at XC pressures but rolled it off a couple of times in the alps.

Narrow rims give you a better tyre profile, but 717’s are silly skinny in reality

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Narrow rims give you a better tyre profile

Most people would say the opposite.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

2.4 mk2’s and 2.35 high rollers.

Haze

2.25″ NN’s fine here too, both tubed and tubeless ready.

Also got away with Advantages in the same iirc, wire bead non-tubeless.

Northwind

mtbmatt – Member

Most people would say the opposite.

I’d say it makes less difference than most people think.

eyerideit
    Free Member

The tyres are for

I’ve got mud x’s on the 717’s at the moment which are great for the conditions in Epping forest but I think they’d be a liability for trail centre stuff as we’re off to the North where I’ll Hopefully get to ride at CyB, ByC and Lee Quarry over Christmas.

So as an experiment I was going to go PHAT, phat like a pair of 2.4 NoNi,’s. but I had visions of the tyre popping off the rim so I changed my mind and opted for 2.35 high Rollers. Again doubt crept in and after much sweating over rubber, I have ordered a pair of OnOne Smorgasbord’s which are 2.25. They’re only a ‘little’ over the recommended width and will hopefully give me more side grip and suspension that I ‘think’ will benefit me.

Thanks as always for the advice.

Northwind

2.35 Highroller is absolutely fine on a 717, btw, on the grounds that it’s nothing like a 2.35

badbob
    Free Member

barons fine too!

donal
    Free Member

I had a 2.25 Advantage on my 717 set up tubeless with rim strips. That would be about the max size I would put on unless you are running pretty high PSI.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Question for the Mavic 717 riders out there’ is closed to new replies.