Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • QR & Disc brake question
  • tallsam
    Free Member

Hi

Hi, I’ve got a MK1 Singular Swift. I keep reading about the issue of disc brakes ejecting wheels with traditional fork ends and quick releases.

Without getting too bogged down in it all… am I going to die a horrible death if I ride my bike with the above set up.

I understand why it happens and that is largely why we now have bolt thru and the like. But surely there are millions of bikes out there (and many still being made) with the traditional setup. Are they all deathtraps?

Should I ever upgrade wheels and/or fork (or get a new bike) I’d look into getting bolt through. Although from what I understand bolt through rear is largely the same as QR rear, being as the issue doesn’t exist on the rear. Anyway I’m loathe to change anything as most modern forks would look terrible on my frame (its all about looks after all).

In the interim whats my best course of action without buying all new gear. I’d imagine a closed-cam QR would help. More rear braking? I ride fairly sedately, its not like I’m flying through rock gardens or over big doubles (plus its rigid, that all might hurt my wrists).

As an aside would a nutted axle also have this problem? I’d imagine not, but doubt I’ll be converting my hub.

cp

I’ve been using disc brakes for over 15 years with qrs across a wide range of brakes and hubs and have never ever had wheel move let alone come out.

Non issue as long as you use a qr how its intended (I.e. using the cam lever to tighten rather than just screwing it tight).

bencooper
    Free Member

Use a good Shimano QR and do it up properly tight.

That’s pretty much it, really.

tallsam
    Free Member

Non issue as long as you use a qr how its intended (I.e. using the cam lever to tighten rather than just screwing it tight).

Its amazing how often I see them wound up as tight as possible.

tjagain

Its an issue that occurs only if a series of factors are aligned. Modern forks should have deep “lawyer lips” that will prevent the wheel coming out if the QR comes loose. a good quality QR should see you right

scotroutes

there are millions of bikes out there (and many still being made) with the traditional setup

Got it in one.

nickjb
    Free Member

The only issue was during the transition to disks. Adding a disk brake to forks with rubbish dropouts then fitting a rubbish skewer. Not an issue on a modern bikes especially if you fit a shimano skewer. Only issue now is user error.

fifeandy
    Free Member

QR’s are terrible, the sooner they are all purged from existance the better.

Putting that aside though, you’ll be fine, no need to change anything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

15mm thru axles…sold on a lie.

Corporate shits!

tallsam
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘QR & Disc brake question’ is closed to new replies.