• This topic has 52 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • QECP mtb documentary: Phil Ligget, Rob Warner & jedi
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Check out Rupert’s EXCELLENT documentary on mountain biking at QECP over the last 20 years, featuring an all star cast of Phil Ligget, Rob Warner, Tony “Jedi” Doyle and….. er.. Dave Goulson! Even if you have no interest in the park itself its a nice little history lesson on how mountain biking has changed and developed into the amazing sport it is now.
    A big thank you to Phil, Rob, Tony and everyone else involved in the documentary for being so generous with their time. The documentary also features Rob getting steezy on the red trail! Well, steezy for someone thats in their 40?s anyway! 🙂

http://vimeo.com/43928567

OwenP

Nice video, it’s good to see the recognition for both the hard work of local riders & acknowledgment from the park of the benefits riders bring and working with that.

Shame the video didn’t include Warner falling in the puddle though, for a bit of youve-been-framed magic! Well done to all involved.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

gonna watch thsi bad boy at lunch thanks.

wwaswas

that’s a good video – very informative.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick for later.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Another one for later. Need to get back over there to check out the new trails…..

29erKeith
    Free Member

cheers, really good watch

I must make a trip over there sometime to ride the new stuff.

Just wish the New Forest lot could be a bit more forward thinking, it’s not the same a QECP but some lessons could be learnt. If only the powers that be could see it.

mattjg
    Free Member

Redacted, pointless post.

lucien

Nice video, and good to see that QECP getting the right exposure

DT78
    Free Member

Will watch this evening

soma_rich
    Free Member

I think the next step is to hold a bigger event there. Something like a 12 hour enduro, would get a lot more riders on site.

scottfitz
    Free Member

We hope for lots more racing at the park. Quick question to all:

Would you be interested in a mini XC race series? Would be about 4/6 rounds though the year 1/2 hours on a 3/6km course, possible couple of round at other venues.

Then 1/2 summer enduros 4/6/8/12 hours.

None of this is happening yet just putting the feelers out. 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

Not at all interested in short course XC but would do an Enduro.
    scottfitz are you the guy in the video, head trail builder?

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m not in that vid to busy riding & Digging. 😉

the other might call me the “head trail builder” but im just one of many 🙂

I am in this vid on my singlespeed (Red Bike) http://vimeo.com/41456417 Also shot by Rupert.

Rich did you do the 4 hour enduro at the park?

superfli
    Free Member

The handsome chap is moi (and features my lad for a sec) :D… 😳 😳
    Certainly not “head trailbuilder”
    Q, the “I thought it was Phil Ligget” comments lol!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Rich did you do the 4 hour enduro at the park?

I didn’t know there was a 4 hour enduro I probably would have if I had known about it. When was it?

scottfitz
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

I reckon it was about 15 years ago that I first rode there. Am most ashamed to say I took my kids around the course, my son loved it! Afterwards we talked to the ranger who had designed the course and he was rather surprised – of course I had no idea you needed skillz.

It goes without saying we were all on rigid bikes!

Bez

Well I never knew about that Cyclefest – camping and beer and live music, that would have been right up my alley. Been itching for an event like that since the demise of the Wight Diamond. Was it as good as it sounds?

/makes note for next year

benmotogp46
    Free Member

It was a good watch. Was looking foraward to having a few loops round there tomorrow but the weather isnt looking too clever at the moment!

superfli
    Free Member

It would have been better in the eve if we had warmer and drier weather during the day, plus more people/knowledge of the event. QECP trail collective had a good little party going on, but wasn’t on same field as main tent.
    It was busy on the Sunday though – lots of people testing bikes and visiting the trade stands.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Superfli Best not mention your Shenanigans at the QECP BBQ/Party Manualing Jedi of the road after to many beers and a lack of skill 🙄

jedi

heh heh heh 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

Well I never knew about that Cyclefest – camping and beer and live music, that would have been right up my alley. Been itching for an event like that since the demise of the Wight Diamond. Was it as good as it sounds?

/makes note for next year

as far as im aware both the park and hargroves are up for this again next year but bigger. I will push for a race with CATs and longer time options like 4h or 6h or 8h.

superfli
    Free Member

I didnt mention anything – Scott!

DezB
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I’ve got the Mountain Bike Tour of Britain when it came to QE on video. I shall have a look for that and get it onto Youtube.
    Thanks for posting the video Scott.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, just watched it – that’s me and my dawg in the car park at the beginning!!

Yak

Reply to scottfitz – yes I would be interested in a mini xc series + longer events too. Just moved nearby from the NW and used to do the excellent Brownbacks series at Lee Quarry. Great racing for all abilities and great atmosphere. A similar thing at QECP would be ace.

weeksy

I agree, i’d be up for events too.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

I’m from oop north so will check it out if I’m ever in the area but an interesting vid nontheless- thanks for posting.

convert

Regular racing here for all abilities would be great!

I reckon it was about 15 years ago that I first rode there. Am most ashamed to say I took my kids around the course, my son loved it! Afterwards we talked to the ranger who had designed the course and he was rather surprised – of course I had no idea you needed skillz.

It goes without saying we were all on rigid bikes!

I take a group of kids from school to QE every week in the summer for an hour or so. This week we had a young girl (14) want to come. She pitched up with a pretty sketchy Coventry Eagle rigid mtb (I believe it may have been refereed to as an ATB still at the time this bad boy was made!) that with a bit of emergency tinkering with just about made ridable. To her credit she made it around our ride which included most of the first half of the new red route. Slowly I grant you but she did very well in the rain and muddy patches last night. A few years ago I’d often take my CX bike for the ride with the group around the old orange. It would be more of a challenge now so I’m even more impressed with her performance!

scottfitz
    Free Member

To her credit she made it around our ride which included most of the first half of the new red route.

WOW very impressive 😀 , what are they like at digging at that age? 😐

scottfitz
    Free Member

Reply to scottfitz – yes I would be interested in a mini xc series + longer events too. Just moved nearby from the NW and used to do the excellent Brownbacks series at Lee Quarry. Great racing for all abilities and great atmosphere. A similar thing at QECP would be ace.

I agree, i’d be up for events too.

Regular racing here for all abilities would be great!

These sorts of comments are great I can take them to the park and if there local support they are likely to go for it plus some of the money will go back in to the trails.

convert

Funny you say that – we do a “whole school effort” every year in September where the whole school stays at school for the weekend and does practical jobs around the school (cleaning out lakes, coppicing a wood, planting bulbs, that sort of thing). We also normally have a community project going on too. I could look to see if the trail could be a “community project”…if the timing worked with you lot.

scottfitz
    Free Member

We will be starting the blue trail soon so come september we could save some small job for them to do, I if would like to look in to it i can put you in contact with the park manager.

convert

That would be good – good to build a local link for the school too.

Good news about a blue trail too. Currently there is a massive jump in terrain and ability required between the purple and the new red. I’m sure there are people in the red now (my little group included) that would be happier on something a bit tamer but the current purple is just not enough to keep them excited.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Convert YGM.

The blue will be a update purple as per orange to red, New easier climb, New fun dowm with some flow etc….

smiff
    Free Member

awesome. anyone know how to save vimeo videos as avi/mp4 or something? i might have to ask Rupert for a CD compilation of his QE videos 🙂 (flash doesn’t run too well on my xbmc setup).

daznal
    Free Member

I always imagined jedi to be mmmm whats the word,o yes slimmer,no offence intended.

smiff
    Free Member

lol. the local paper called him “top cyclist”.. which he is, but.. i think most public only know of tour-de-france lycra clad type riding or the Chris Hoy indoor stuff because that’s all they see. like with the olympics, mincing around a field in essex (i kid, i know it’s tricky) when they should have been watching the Fort William DH last weekend… when do we start on the blacks at QE Scott? 🙂 the red is too easy 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘QECP mtb documentary: Phil Ligget, Rob Warner & jedi’ is closed to new replies.