Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pyrenees accommodation?
  • snap
    Free Member

Hi
    Can anyone recommend accommodation in the Pyrenees
    Must sleep at least 8 people
    Centrally positioned for tourmalet etc
    Near to village / in village for post ride beverages and fine dining
    Obviously road bike friendly

Thanks in advance
    PS it’s our first time there so any advice would be appreciated

wait4me

Not any specific recommendations, but I was out there in October and stayed in Saint Lary Soulan. Thought it was a great location with lots of Cols on your doorstep. Town ok, not huge amount of character as it’s more of a ski resort, but that means there’s a multitude of cheap accommodation options. A number of bars and restaurants. I’ll definitely return.

sheck

Bagneres de Luchon is a good base… at the foot of Peyresourde, Portillon, Superbagneres, Hospice de France and also after a short spin down the Valley Port de Bales.
    Col de Mente is also easily acessible.Tourmalet would be a big day out from there, but doable, particularly if you could get a lift one way? Leave car west of Tourmalet and ride back to Bagneres on the second half of the route the Tour do on their regular Tour stage from Pau to Luchon and then retrace back to car the next day after a big feed/sleep

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Was also going to suggest Bagneres de Luchon.

AQR (guiding co) are based there. Hotel Le Lutin is where I’ve stayed before – ace food and decent accom.

You’ve got the Peyresourde, Portillon and the Porte de Balleres right on the doorstep. The Tourmalet is a valley or 2 away, but I believe ridable in a day.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Tourmelet from Luchon is do-able but a big day out. We rode it from Bagnere du Bigore in October which has less charm than Luchon. On a Monday in October the whole town was basically closed – we ended up eating in the ‘chinese’ restaurant which was glum. There were marked MTB routes around Bigore (though we didn’t have time to check them out)

Skiied there in Feb staying at Barege (on the other side of the Tourmelet from Bigore). Small but some decent bars and restaurants and don’t know how much summer tourism it has.

sonas55
    Free Member

i traveled Bagneres de Luchon (not for riding though) a couple of yours ago. the area is great, with beautiful scenery. well actually you can never go wrong with the south of France. and we rented an apartment there https://tranio.com/rent/france/ if there are 8 of you i guess it will be better value and comfort for about the same price

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pyrenees accommodation?’ is closed to new replies.