Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Putting cat into a cattery any advice ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Hopefully someone can spread the love with some helpful advice.

We have a few holidays booked in the next 8 months 2 x 1* weeks holidays and summer holiday of two weeks, normally our neighbour comes in twice a day and feeds our cat which is great but as our cat is very homely – (she likes staying in and being around us) and only really ventures out into the garden for a run around – when we came back last summer it was clear she was distressed weeing on floor etc (that my neighbour left !)

Don’t want a cat sitter !

How much more distressing can a cattery be ?

* we may take her for one week to the Lakes

Any help much appreciated

the-muffin-man

How much more distressing can a cattery be ?

Probably no more, and maybe less.

She’ll likely see more people in a day than the little she see’s of your neighbour who’s popping around for a few minutes twice a day.

* we may take her for one week to the Lakes

I wouldn’t do this, what if she gets out?

Gary_M
    Free Member

How much more distressing can a cattery be?

It’s a cat, as long as it’s fed, is warm and has some human contact it’ll be fine.

We have 3 cats, they usually go into the cattery when we go away for summer, they’ve always been fine. You’re over thinking it.

I wouldn’t do this, what if she gets out?

Or starts pissing all over the place in the house you’re staying in.

fasthaggis

It will hate you.
    This will get less after each holiday.
    Just get on with it.
    Spoil it every time you get back.

martinhutch

If it’s anything like mine, it will have a very smelly revenge shit in the cat carrier about 10 minutes from home. Then stand in it and smear it all around the house.

bex
    Free Member

As a cattery owner, I can report that in thirteen years we’ve never come across a cat who hasn’t settled in. We always offer new customers the opportunity to come and look round the cattery so owners can see where their cat(s) will be staying and ask any questions. Any decent place should be more than willing to do this. Check that the cattery is licensed by the local authority and it’s always worth asking your vet if they can recommend anywhere. We also offer a ‘taster session’ where, during quiet periods (ie weekdays outside school holidays) we’ll take the cat in for a night or two at a reduced rate and give the owners honest feedback.
    We spend a lot of time playing with and fussing the cats and in almost every case (one notable exception being a hissy-fit pwincess who will tolerate being chatted to but goes ballistic if you try to stroke her, but the owners assure us she’s just the same with them) the cats are so relaxed that they jump on our laps for a cuddle and roll over for tummy tickles. No smutty remarks please.

Mikkel
    Free Member

thought the whole point of cats is you just lock them out of the house while away.
    Sort of how most do when they are also home.

hels
    Free Member

Lots of variables. Depends on the Cat and the Cattery.

Mine hates them, last time I put her in for a week she hissed and growled at me the entire drive home.

She also hates being left in the house, so I really can’t win this one.

But she is quite old now, she bounced back a lot more and was less of a sook when she was younger.

Bad Catteries:
    too close to the dog kennels, better ones just have cats
    small cages
    don’t ask to see her vaccination certs

globalti
    Free Member

Cattery for ours as well, no problems. Talk to the vet because a responsible cattery won’t accept a cat that hasn’t had all the right vaccinations etc.

Soon your cat will learn that when the rucsacs and suitcases come out, it’s holiday time and time to vanish, just before you’re ready to load her into the travel case. So take her over the day before.

gary

Mine hates going in the car. The fact that he makes out he’d rather stay in the cattery than get back in his box to go home makes me confident he doesn’t mind the cattery too much! I felt like a bad cat parent for a long time until I saw someone else’s cat do exactly the same!

I prefer the cattery for peace of mind – i.e. I know he’s not going to be falling out of trees and getting hurt, leading anyone feeding him to get worried/guilty.

As above, I do have to be a bit stealthy about getting him in the box. Dragging him out from underneath the bed/sofa isn’t much fun for either of us.

rOcKeTdOg

our cat hates others cats, so is stressed in a cattery, luckily the young lad next door comes in and feeds and plays with her while we’re away

rocketman
    Free Member

Ours has stayed in quite a few. The first time was fraught but the cat has kindof got used to them by now. It knows when its carrier comes out some shit is about to happen

One time there was clearly some tension between the cat and one of the staff. The cat was climbing up the pen to escape when we went to collect it and cowered in the corner when the member of staff went in to get it 🙁

The most recent one is like a second home – they give it Dreamies

You’ll need proof of the cat’s vaccinations etc

Also take the cat’s favourite blanket/cushion/toys etc. Ours spends most of its time on a computer chair so we have to take that 🙂

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

bex – Member

As a cattery owner, I can report that in thirteen years we’ve never come across a cat who hasn’t settled in. We always offer new customers the opportunity to come and look round the cattery so owners can see where their cat(s) will be staying and ask any questions. Any decent place should be more than willing to do this. Check that the cattery is licensed by the local authority and it’s always worth asking your vet if they can recommend anywhere. We also offer a ‘taster session’ where, during quiet periods (ie weekdays outside school holidays) we’ll take the cat in for a night or two at a reduced rate and give the owners honest feedback.
    We spend a lot of time playing with and fussing the cats and in almost every case (one notable exception being a hissy-fit pwincess who will tolerate being chatted to but goes ballistic if you try to stroke her, but the owners assure us she’s just the same with them) the cats are so relaxed that they jump on our laps for a cuddle and roll over

Where are you based ???

globalti
    Free Member

The best bit is getting our cats back. Our son loves to walk down to the enclosure and call the cats’ names; their reaction makes owning a cat worthwhile.

bex
    Free Member

Unfitgeezer: we’re in God’s own country on the hills above Hebden Bridge (just do a Google search, we’re the only one in HB, and even if we’re nowhere near you, our website gives a lot of info you may find useful). BTW good point about vaccination certificates; we insist on seeing them every time a cat comes in and keep the certificate for the duration of the stay. And definitely take your cat’s own blanket/ bedding and toys – in our case we supply the baskets, litter trays, food bowls etc and ask owners to supply the soft furnishings to help the cat to feel at home. We also advise owners to bring an item of clothing belonging to the cat’s favourite human as an additional comfort blanket. And we buy Dreamies (crack for cats as we call it) in bulk!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…200 miles away ! Think I found your site -Cragg Vale ?

many thanks one and all for your help.

This is our nearest cattery i gave them a ring, the cats have their own space but don’t ever get to go outside or mix with other cats, its climate controlled, is this the norm ?

http://www.allseasonsboardingcattery.co.uk

Any good ?

bex
    Free Member

All the norm – our inside units are centrally heated whilst the outer runs are like an individual conservatory with (very secure!) opening d.g. windows. And if any place allows cats from different families to mix report them to the licensing authority and RSPCA, cats can easily get extremely freaked and intimidated when faced with a potential rival/ enemy/ over-ardent admirer.
    Looks a good one, wishing you all the best with it. Wish we could charge London prices…

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Thank you for all your help bex

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Putting cat into a cattery any advice ?’ is closed to new replies.