Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Putoline Wax
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Am considering this – just to test it out etc.

Currently the chain is a gunky / oily mess.

Straight into boil in a fryer of Putoline OR clean up thoroughly first else it will be just wax on top of gunk?

Cheers for top tips…

Mark

tjagain

Get the worst of the mess off it – and join the other threads!

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Just as easy to have a quick answer to a quick question.

If it was only one thread your response would not have needed a plural 😉

Mark

i_like_food

Definitely clean it first. Cleaner means it’ll stick for longer in my experience.

jkomo

I put a brand new chain in and I think I burnt the factory oil on. This is of no significance to your question but what the heck.

Northwind

I always clean mine. Just don’t like the idea of putting anything in the wax that doesn’t belong there, even though it probably isn’t important.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

jkomo – interesting though 🙂 probs worth degreasing a new one then, let alone an older, gunkier one!!

Mark

simono5

I tend to not want to put too much of a gunky chain in the fryer.

So I do give it a good clean with degreaser. Then I do wash the degreaser out.

Then a good fry. Seems to work OK.

doomanic

I ran mine under the hot tap to get the muck off it then chucked it in the fryer today. Lovely noise…

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Close to plugging the fryer in…..

How long do you fry it for?

Assuming its up to temp (I think I read 170 degrees)….how long in the fryer?

Thanks

(it will be a new chain as existing oily one is ‘stretched’……)

13thfloormonk

I give it 15 minutes, then turn fryer off but leave chain in as it cools, giving it a shoogle every so often.

I found that if I whisked chain straight out the wax would be too runny and would drip off chain too quickly.

Also, let chain dry after degreasing! All the water in the rollers will flash to steam and splatter wax everywhere…

colp

I just started using Molten Speed Wax as I knew I’d get Putoline all over my clothes.
    Definitely need the chain as clean as possible and make sure you really agitate it a lot when it’s in the hot wax to get it in every nook and cranny

13thfloormonk

I fancied some Molten Speed Wax for the summer bike. Putoline performance but s shinier chain! 😁

Maybe I could putoline the summer chain then clean off the outer surfaces and just apply some Squirt as a top coat…

i_like_food

Bit if you’re using plutoline (as opposed to MSW or parrafin wax homebrew) don’t let it cool too much or you won’t be able to wipe off the excess and it’ll be super sticky. I find taking it out straight away and Lying it on its side in a rag to cool works best IMO.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Cool – cheers for the top tips.

So am I sticking a new chain in white spirits first??

Will it matter that the cassette and chainring have low level dirt levels on them?

Jordan

I am not really getting why people who have an already putolined chain are having to clean them before re-waxing. Mine just doesn’t collect dirt. Gets a hose off after each ride and just stays looking the same so I just chuck it straight back in the wax when it needs it.

cookeaa

Will it matter that the cassette and chainring have low level dirt levels on them?

Crud is generally less than ideal for any drivetrain, and l while you have the chain off its an ideal time to clean.

It need not be super thoroughly cleaned, I tend to just scrub the cassette, chainring and jockey wheels with old toothbrushes, paintbrushes and rags (anything that can get in a nook or cranny and dislodge crap) while the putoline melts and the chain sinks into it…

oldnick

Given it is a paraffin wax I use paraffin to clean muggle chains, shake the worst of that off then in it goes, seems to work fine. Previously Putolined chains just go straight in next time.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Oldnick – is this a reply to the coating on a new chain and whether to white spirit clean it first?

ta

colp

Is this the official new Putoline thread, or just a spin off series?

Either way, has anyone noticed if your Putoline/Wax starts to transfer from your chain and coat your cassette etc after while?

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

There are lots of putoline threads on STW 🙂

This is Putoline 23.0 Covid Edition

I read that that wax transfer will then help keep crap of the cassette….happy side effect?

colp

That’s what I was thinking, running ASX so anything that helps with cassette life will be marvellous.
    I did consider dropping my cassette into the fryer, wonder if it would give problems getting it back onto the hub?

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I have no idea…..but any resistance during re-installation would be minor I would think?!

garage-dweller

I have cleaned any truly dirty chains before the putoline treatment with white spirit and then left to dry.

I’m pretty new to the Putoline thing but have been converting all of our bikes as and when I am doing other general maintenance or cleaning.

Had my first decently mucky ride with my son since switching on Monday and the drivetrains on both bikes were loads cleaner than they would normally have been.

Somewhere between 160 and 180 and 15-20 minutes and an occasional shake of the basket is all mine have had. I have tended to take out while still quite hot to make wiping the outside down easier. I may not have that totally right looking at the above and others are more practiced at this than me.

Other thing I would say is it does pong a bit. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Next time I might put the fryer outside if it’s a dry day.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst we are here. I re-did my chains for the first time in ages and ages. My main MTB had had a couple of drip lube applications when I needed to ride and hadn’t got round to frying it. The drip lube seems to re-flow some Putoline and it lasts ages again.

Anyway two of my chains that were fitted 6 months ago are now on 1/32″ stretch and one is on 1/64″.

Oh, and I think 170 is too hot. I’m on about 140. I think if it’s too hot you run the risk of any water foaming the stuff.

colp

The speed wax actually says 200 on the packet.
    Off to check whether that’s C or F!

tjagain

Is this the official new Putoline thread, or just a spin off series?

Spiltists at work! Burn the heretic!

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

5 more mins.

It’s black. Wasn’t expecting that.

Or to have to fight the tin to open it.

170 in cheap fryer is probs not 170 so hopefully it will come out ok.

No frying sounds though, quite underwhelming.

murdooverthehill

No frying sounds though, quite underwhelming

You forgot the batter

colp

No frying sounds though, quite underwhelming.

Need a bit of water on it next time

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Well its on, and all appears fine…….we will see how it handles the High Peak and Monsal Trails tomorrow 🙂

eyestwice
    Free Member

Not heard of MSW so just checked it out.

As far as Black Friday sales go, they’ve nailed it 🤣

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Some great deals in there, for sure!! 🙂

So 43 miles on the old railway lines around Matlock and Bakewell……bike is back and rinsed off…..chain looks clean…..lets see if its rusty in the morning!

Certainly sounded like crisper shifting for the first half of the ride…..then mud took over and graunchy…..but no more or less graunchy than it ever is when there is that much gritty mud and autumnal mulch!

13thfloormonk

lets see if its rusty in the morning!

Probably will be. I love the performance of a Putoline-d chain but it doesn’t hang around on the surface of the chain for long, so I still lube the chain after wet muddy rides.

I wouldn’t bother with Putoline now were it not for how good the drivetrain feels with a fresh application.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just did an hour and a half in some quite shitty and wet conditions (but not the worst). Previously the first few puddles would see my chain grinding, which is one of the things that puts me off muddy riding, but my chain was completely silent throughout.

As for the surface rust – I spray WD40 onto a rag and run the chain through that. The wax stays inside the chain that way but the WD40 keeps the surface bit kept rust-free.

Fantombiker

Sorry to hijack thread but I’ve got an associated question. Been using Putoline for road and mtb bikes. Very happy so far. My indoor trainer bikes chain is now creaky. Just wondering if I will get fling off the chain. I’m worried about getting wax on the carpet…anyone tried this??

pedlad

Chain feels good in the dire conditions we’re having but I’m struggling with the surface rust part of putoline….starting to spray some GT85 on agter washing but unsure if that’s acting as a solvent and washing away the wax….

molgrips
    Free Member

Just wondering if I will get fling off the chain.

It’s solid at room temp, so no, it won’t fling. Far less likely to do so than liquid lube. However – the first time you ride it bits of excess wax are scrubbed out of the chain, and they are visible on the surface. There’s a slim chance these could drop off on your carpet. But you can remove these with a rag with WD40 or similar sprayed on it, then your chain is clean as anything. You could always try it with some plastic or paper under the bike just to be sure.

However, I am not sure it’s necessary for an indoor bike, since it’s not getting mud and dirt. On the other hand, if you did wax it, you’d probably never need to do it again.

starting to spray some GT85 on agter washing but unsure if that’s acting as a solvent and washing away the wax….

Don’t spray it on the chain – spray it on a rag and wipe the chain down.

tjagain

.starting to spray some GT85 on agter washing but unsure if that’s acting as a solvent and washing away the wax…

IME yes

doomanic

Need a bit of water on it next time

But not too much.

Ask me how I know… 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Putoline Wax’ is closed to new replies.