Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PUSHED Shocks & Single Pivots
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

Hi gang,

My RP23 is due a service and I was wondering if it was worth sending it to TF Tuned to get it pushed. I’ve read the blurb on the TFT website and was wondering what you guys think. Is it worth it – has anyone done this to their bike – particular on single pivot Superlights and Hecklers or Orange Fives (which I guess are similar)?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Haven’t felt the need here, but I’d rather have the £££ than a few seconds on climbs, if that’s what you get, which I doubt.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Not sure how much help this will be, but I had the Float R on my Prophet pushed. Subjectively, it has made it more controlled in the midstroke, and makes the front (coil Pike) and rear suspension feel more evenly matched. So a perceived improvement, yes, and cheaper than buying an RP23. With that added level of Platform adjustment on the RP23, not sure if it would have the same result.

Best thing to do is phone TFTuned and discuss it with them, they are quite open about a Push tune being a fair whack of cash on top of a normal service, and what it can or can’t do for your bike and shock combo.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I had it done on an old Cdale Jekyll, transformed the bike

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I had a Reba pushed but could never decide if it made a difference or just having the shock professionally serviced made the difference

z1ppy

I was lent a std RP23 to try to replace my rubbish Manitou 3way (rubiish even after being serviced!) & ended up ordering one from TF Tuned, but had it PUSH tuned for my riding style/my Prophet. The PUSHed one felt fanatastic after using the std RP23, though I’m hard pushed to try to describe why, other than to say it just went down the same tracks ‘better’ and didn’t seemingly blow through the mid stroke as easily. Obviously I’m no ‘expert’ but I would have the same done again without a doubt – my superlight will have the same treatment when it due a service.
    I know what I like & thats single pivot bikes and PUSHed fox shocks.

sv

Give Loco at shout he has ‘other’ options IIRC.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Transformed my King Kikapu-for the better.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

lols at “blows through the mid stroke” – when you are hammering down hill how the **** do you feel that??

GW
    Free Member

Are you serious? ^^

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yup totally

z1ppy

Because I was clattering my pedals on the non-PUSHed shock and not clattering my pedals on the PUSH one, on the same tracks?
    Hense the comment was “didn’t seemingly blow through the mid stroke as easily” and claim that I wasn’t an expert just giving my opinion….

GW
    Free Member

so, you’ve never had a poorly damped (midstroke) shock “trap door” on you? older Vanilla R/RCs always did it, push or a custom shimstack sorted them out.

Euro
    Free Member

I had my shock Pushed (it’s not an R2D2 like yours though, mine has a big spring on it). It’s far better. I don’t know if my bike is a single pivot or not. But it’s better now than it was. It cost more money, but it’s better. Try Loco. He’s an expert like me.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Gw not a clue what you mean

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had a RP23 pushed….not sure if it made a difference at all, after the ‘something new’ effect wore off and the guy at TFT who I spoke to just sounded bored and as though he couldn’t give a stuff. On mine it meant that even with propedal off, you couldn’t get full travel and it still pedalled like sh*te.

Not impressed and wouldn’t send it to TFT again. Would try elsewhere though. Can’t Mojo do similar tuning? Or indeed Loco?

mokl
    Free Member

I got my RP23 Pushed, and frankly it made a considerable difference to my Superlight. Most noticeable is when you are carrying some speed, it feels much more controlled and doesn’t blow through the travel as it did before. As I was getting it serviced anyway the extra cost didn’t seem too bad and I was interested to see for myself if it was worth it.

if I had the dough I’d get it done on my 575 shock as well, I think it would be even more of an improvement on this bike.

mokl
    Free Member

mtbmoto – my experience of TFT couldn’t have been more different to yours. I spoke to Tim both times that I’ve called them, and he talked me through the benefits of what I wanted for the results I wanted to achieve. I think they’re a great company.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I had TF Push my DHX5 on my 224 and it feels fantastic! Much more supple, which is especially noticeable on rooted corners etc. The traction is much better.

GW
    Free Member

not a clue what you mean

not at all surprised 😛

joolsburger
    Free Member

I was thinking about having my RP TF tuned for my Heckler. However based on the Orange 5 Thread I am now going to throw my Heckler in the bin and get a proper bike instead of a crappy single pivot. (Not really I’m having it tuned to support the bike more in big compressions which I reckon will work well)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

GW speaks the truth IMO.

I’ve not ever pushed a shock for singlepivot, but on my HL 5spot it made the world of difference, holding up the mid-stroke as GW describes. Its stopped the bike feeling like it was a dog dragging its arse along the ground it general.

Specific things I noticed after having it done were – better ground tracking, more controlled yet still compliant yielding of shock stroke, much improved control of rear end wallow on G-outs and heavy, sustained compressions like berms and a virtually undetectable platform action, unlike the orginal pro-pedal.

I pushed my first shock in 2005 and I’ve had three or four since then. I have had every one pushed as a matter of course. The latest was a 2008/9 RP23 – Apparently with damping so improved it wouldn’t really benefit from a PUSH, but by god it has.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

custom valving (by Mojo) transformed my linkage activated single pivot Rocky Mountain

PJM1974
    Free Member

I had the Float on my 2004 Enduro PUSHed, I was very pleased with the end result, the rear wheel seems to track a lot better.

Worth it IMHO.

Kryton57

I’ve had an RP23 Pushed, it tracked better and didnt wallow in the mid stroke at all.

Just has an VanR shock on a Tracer Pushed – exactly the same – I can’t get the wheel NOT to track the ground without jumping the bike.

Always worth remembering stock shocks are set for the “average” rider from the factory until recently when Fox started adding a degree of custom rebound/compression/BV tune for different bike types. Its still very generic and tuning will give you a better shock for your style/weight/bike IMO.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PUSHED Shocks & Single Pivots’ is closed to new replies.