Home Forums Bike Forum Purbeck Bimble- Wild camping

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Purbeck Bimble- Wild camping
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Organising a first time bikepacking trip for a mate before he heads off to uni for the second time. Going to do the Purbeck Bimble from Bikepacking.com https://bikepacking.com/routes/purbeck-bimble-dorset-uk/

Looking at the route, we may try to pitch up around Worth Matravers. Just wondered if there were any wild camping spots anyone could recommend? My friend really wants to use a hammock he has just purchased, so any woodland spots would be good…but not essential, I am sure he’ll get over not using it.

Yak

I used to doss in the caves at Winspit quarry, just down the track seaward from there. If you have some climbing rack you will get a hammock up.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

my mate does a bit of climbing, I’ll ask him. I did see the quarry, looked well out the way of others.

Yak

It’s out of the way. Whether you will get it to yourselves… not sure. Big enough area though.

jobro
    Free Member

And just a short roll down hill from the Square and Compass :-)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Whether you will get it to yourselves… not sure.

There looked to have been a rave the night before judging by the state of the kids that were still there when we went down on a morning recently. Which may be your thing, or maybe not. Some smaller children were impressed by the massive shit they had found while exploring the ruins “IT’S ORANGE!!! COME AND SEE!!!”.

Also, wild camping is a super emotional topic at the moment (angry articles in the local press levels). So be stealthy.

d42dom

Tyneham, maybe a little off your route and not sure of the legality, would be a nice place to wild camp, plenty of trees and probably a little spooky! Check the live firing times, which is probably worth while if you’re out in the week.

Winspit as above but can get busy down there. Lots of small woods across the Purbecks,
    a lot of them are nature reserves and estate/private land though. Tinder dry at the moment so would avoid pine the forests and heath land in the area, there’s been a few fires already…

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up. I always try and pitch up as late as I can, leave not trace and head out at sun rise. No fires etc.

There appears to be a couple of campsites near so if we cannot find anything, can always head to them.

d42dom

there’s usually a few pop up campsites in the area too which may not be listed, It’s great riding, enjoy!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Purbeck Bimble- Wild camping’ is closed to new replies.