Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Puppytrackworld
  • Merak

My dog, a 12 year old cocker spaniel is getting old. I love him dearly but I wanted another for two reasons, as a chum for him (we had a stafford for ten years of his life)and selfishly so we are not without a dog when the old man goes. Never known life without one. So today a new arrival, an 8 week old cocker spaniel.

He’s adorable but the old man wants none of his nonsense. He’s made that clear a couple of times today. He’s s grumpy old sod but there’s no wickedness in him.

The reason for the post is to ask a little advice. Its been so long since I’ve had a pup. I realise the pup will be missing his brothers and sisters. Should I sleep in the kitchen with him for the first couple of nights?

I realise there’s a few dog folk on here so figured I’d ask.

Any advice is much appreciated.

mikey74
    Free Member

This thread needs some photos 😀

Sorry, no advice to give, just want to see the puppy pics.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I came to this thread expecting pictures… there are no pictures. I’ve got all this puppy Awwwwwwww ready to burst forth and nothing to do with it now… 😕

Quid pro quo OP, first puppy pictures, then advice.

deadslow

Where are the pictures???

5thElefant
    Free Member

We’ve got the same situation. Our old boy loved the new puppy for 2 days. Until the testicle biting incident. He then became grumpy. As she gets older she get less annoying and he gets less grumpy. Give it a few months and it’ll all be good.

Stick the puppy in a cage. It’ll settle down after a few nights. We did the same with both of ours. Safe and effective.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Gargghh post some pictures of puppies!!

dashed
    Free Member

It’s always taken a while before pups I’ve brought home have been accepted by the older dog – sometimes up to a fortnight. I usually just let them get on with it, but keep the pup in a crate over night and for spells during the day to give the older dog a break. Before you know it they’ll be best of mates ;o)

sandwicheater

When our dog was a wee pup the training book we had said no. It will whimper but is best to be ignored and will come to terms with it.

Lasted one night and been fine since.

Sleeping Bramble by sandwicheater, on Flickr

Now, give the people what they want, photos of puppies!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Don’t answer his question until he posts puppies, we really need to present a united front on this OK Rachels?

Merak

Photies to follow.:)

sandwicheater

Puppies, oh i thought you said parrots! No, ignore my advise, tis of no use to you you none photo posting type person.

tinman66
    Free Member

I’m with the general consensus here, no advice without photos first.

ononeorange

Puppies! Puppies! We want puppy pics!

Rachel

beckykirk43
    Free Member

We had a springer for 10 years, and then ended up rescuing a cocker puppy (now 3). Our springer isn’t all that keen on other dogs in general, but after a few days he decided he’d tolerate the new dog. Get the occasional “incident” but generally they’re OK with each other now!

As far as sleeping near he pup goes I’ve always been told that you shouldn’t, it might be tough for a few nights while they get used to it but hopefully he’ll settle down quickly. Lots of praise in the morning, especially if he’s been quiet.

Now I’ve tried to be helpful…we need pictures! 😛

Merak

Understand the need for pics. I will oblige, I’m stuck in work till 10pm 🙁 longest day ever.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We did the same thing and the older dog was very unhappy when the new one arrived. Frankly in hindsight I can’t blame her for getting pee’d as it’s very obvious you’re replacing the old dog.
    Old dogs like to sleep and not much else – the exact opposite of what a puppy wants to do (until the batteries run out). So next time I’ll wait for the old dog to go before getting a replacement.
    As for sleeping with the puppy? Don’t be daft.

Merak

This is Murdo;

He’s had a big day today.

P20

8) 😀

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Cute pup. Good name too.

Eddie (19 month old patterdale, mental) cried like crazy the first night we got him home. Three things that worked.

Ticking clock – supposedly it sounds like a heartbeat. Dunno, but it helped
    One of my old, worn, smelly t shirts in his bed.
    Earplugs. God bless the earplugs, good squishy-gummy ones from boots.

He stopped after about 3 nights. Good luck!

Merak

Cheers Matt, will try those.

walleater

We went down the crate training route for a while until my wife won the battle….and Ashka now sleeps on the bed… It was always hard trying to work out whether Ashka was playing up in the crate because she needed a pee, or just being a bitch, so I had some hair pulling nights for a while. I just ended up sleeping on the floor next to the crate at times, which maybe against advice but we were going insane. She’s a north Canadian mutt and pretty damned hyper!

She’s calmed down a bit now 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Puppytrackworld’ is closed to new replies.