Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pump track in/near Brighton?
  • WaywardRider
    Free Member

Anyone know of a pump track – indoor/outdoor – in the Brighton Area?

Buzzard
    Free Member

I’m bookmarking this in the hope there is one

Nobby

It’s been a good few years but there was always the BMX track etc at Shoreham.

wwaswas

they were rebuilding the Shoreham track, last I heard.

Nobby

Quite likely, just worked out I last rode there in 1983!

wwaswas

I broke my hip on it in 2002.

I’ve not been back.

kbomb
    Free Member

There is a snazzy looking outdoor pump track in Poynings, it looks well made, but is in someones (rather large) garden. More likely a local rider persuaded their parents to let them build it, but I’ve no idea how you get a go on it. Go drinking in the Royal Oak and be nice to the locals perhaps.

All being well this link will show it.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview/place/South+Downs+National+Park/@50.8919833,-0.2017347,343m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4875b9b6023fa7c1:0x2316ebd9ce6cfda1

wwaswas

not trying to be the police or ‘owt but…

is linking to private/secret stuff a good idea?

kbomb
    Free Member

Good point. It isn’t like you could break in and ride it though, I’ve often ridden past it (it is right next to a bridleway) and marveled at its construction, I was hoping someone might know who built it.

lardman
    Free Member

There’s a big barky dog in the house right next to that. Or at least there used to be a while back. Sounded like he was gonna chew through the fence to get to me when i rode past, VERY quickly.

Other than that, there’s nothing i know of.

Went over to SHoreham BMX track a few weeks back, and it was half way through being re-built. ALthough it’s mostly going to be some bumps in a flood plain right now.

chiefgrooveguru

I think the lad that built it was on Pinkbike and it is indeed his parents’ garden! One of the Brighton locals on here has one in his garden too…

However I have a plan for building a pumptrack in Brighton – I have a suitable location with excellent building material which should make it very all-weather, I just need the time to get it marked out and then plenty of man power to help get it built.

scottfitz
    Free Member

one in Littlehampton here: http://binged.it/NuaxSv

Edit: also is the BMX track still in Brighton? here: http://binged.it/1eil2gN

lardman
    Free Member

It’s heavily overgrown, but still rideable on an MTB. Not a pump track tho’ really. More a dump track.
    Last time i went there, some Pikeys on mini Moto’s were making life unpleasant.

danrandon
    Free Member

If you have an iPhone or iPad download a free app called uk bike trails. Great app that has sheds loads of info. Plus users can add new locations

muddy@rseguy

There’s always the MX track near Telscombe.

Very cheeky I know but…. 😉

There is pump track in Angmering ( yes I know, miles from Brighton), dunno if its any good as there are always kids there when I go past it and I didn’t want to show myself them up.

VanHalen

My garden 🙂

It’s not Big but works. Thinking of adding 2 quarter pipes this summer… Well defo 1 as we need a fence.

Al, we need to organise some digging. Perfect building weather at moment

benthebikeman
    Free Member

I am looking to get one built in Moulsecoomb, in the local secondary school with a view to it being open to the public in the evenings. I have long dreamed of having pump tracks all over Brighton as they are great way to teach skills to young riders.(I am a Sustrans Schools officer) Wild Park, next to the Lewes Road is the ideal venue I think. Be great to have a central brighton track and something out in Hove too @bikeitben1

adstick
    Free Member

I know who’s the Poynings track is… It is in someone’s back garden…

However, Bike-it/Sustrans have just got the go ahead on one at BACA (the school at Falmer). Obviously being on school grounds it won’t be ‘public’ but there will be more than likely provision for locals to use it sometimes (there’s rumours of floodlights).

Following on from that Ben is very keen to get a proper public track built somewhere as a resource for local kids (and big kids). Central would be amazing, but there are some pretty obvious bits of municipal land a bit further out that look good – in front of Wild Park for example. Perhaps this thread is an ideal chance to start collecting names and expertise to try and get this moving. Any one any good at lobbying for funding?

Please feel free to email Ben ben.sherratt@sustrans.org.uk or drop in on me (Adam) at Rayments and lets see if we can get ourselves a pumptrack.

adstick
    Free Member

Ben beat me to it!

chiefgrooveguru

Ben, I’ve just emailed you!

timnwild

Shoreham’s a while from being built – needs new soil. And the weather conditions aren’t helping- but it does look as if it’s going to be great when it’s ready.

VanHalen

wild park is full of travellers regularly and it WILL get trashed.

shoreham has suffered due to eh flooding which is a shame cos the guys doing it put alot of effort in. i think their facebook mentioned the council might be bringin new material? once the weather settles down!

patcham would have been possible until recently but by all accounts the locals couldnt be bothered. (which was a suprise)

Happy to assist on any projects as i can – any civil engineery/drawing/planning stuff i can help with if needed. Al’s location could work although its exposed! I’ll drop an email.

mark

wiilt
    Free Member

There is a couple of good sites for one at the top of Ladies Mile Road.(opposite side of the road to Asda, Carden Avenue) The ground looks like its quite hard pack, making it an ideal year round spot. There is reasonable space and some jumps have already been made. Its worth a look if you plan to build one.

tiredjohn

There is the old bmx track in whitehawk. I contacted the council a few months ago to ask them what the possibility of redeveloping the track was. They were keen that something happen but someone was already on the case so I backed off. Not sure if that has stalled or is still happening but might be worth looking at.

Pauly

Hi Ben,

What a co-incidence. Adam and I were just talking about you the other day in Rayments.
    I’ll drop you an email from work tomorrow. Might be able to help out.

Cheers,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pump track in/near Brighton?’ is closed to new replies.