• This topic has 261 replies, 111 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 22 posts - 241 through 262 (of 262 total)
  • Pulled for speeding, but I wasn't speeding. What can I do?
  • Northwind

When I was learning/doing my test I was told you had to make reasonable progress- my instructor basically said “if you’re not near the limit, make sure there’s a good reason”. So frinstance going from a 30 to a 40, you’re expected to accelerate, joining a dual carriageway you’re expected to accelerate up to match the speed of traffic etc.

“Progress” is a tested element and you can get a fault for going inappropriately slowly, hesitating etc.

crankboy
    Free Member

High way code makes it clear that it is a maximum not a suggested speed . Driving under the limit does not amount to hesitation . As stated above a minor does not fail your test . So an attitude like that would not fail you your test where as driving at or near the limit as a requirement regardless of circumstances or road conditions would.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Driving under the limit does not amount to hesitation

If I’d passed through another stretch of road like the first I would have failed as I was on two minors in the same category – driving in the way described would have failed me my driving test.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Without knowing the accuracy of his speedo (and his eyes / brain), whether he was actually still breaking the limit or not is pure speculation.

All posts are, by default, speculative as none of us know all the facts.

Lifer
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

4. They are lesbians and they like to act tough.
    5. You pissed them off because they are lesbians with above reasons.

They could easily give you a verbal warning but they want to act tough with power … to dominate you.

🙄

theotherjonv

To those that have checked their speed against GPS etc, do you keep checking as your tyres wear down?
    Genuine question as I assumed the error of the speedo crept in as you wore your tyres down, ie driveshaft still spinning at x revolutions but you are travelling further, hence faster, on a new set than on a set at the min legal limit? or am I talking bobbins and the impact is too small to notice?

Good question.

Say the diam of your wheel rim plus tyre is D, the circumference is pi x D

Now say that your tread has worn down by 10mm over the life of the tyre.

The new diam is D-10, the new circumference is pi x D – pi x 10. Pi x D cancels, and the differential is pi x 10mm = 31.4mm. So for each revolution of a wheel, you’ll travel 31.4mm further on new tyres than old.

Is that significant? Depends how big your wheels are. Take a standard 215/60 R16 like on my Smax. Diam = 16″ = 406.4mm + 2 x tyre width (60% x 215) = 258mm, makes total 664.4mm. Circumference = pi x diam = 2086.2mm

So the 31.4 due to tread wear is only 1.5%, so if your speedo is accurate at saying 70mph when tyres are new, when worn down when the speedo says 70mph you’ll really only be doing 69.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I do love a good “I can justify speeding” rant on the internet.

I love a good “I haven’t actually read any of the thread but I’m going to be judgemental anyway” rant on the Internet.

The OP has been charged with driving at 35mph. He asserts that his speedometer was reading under this value. Assuming that the OP isn’t mistaken and that he doesn’t have an illegal speedo, the the charge is false. This is the crux of the OP.

Without knowing the accuracy of his speedo (and his eyes / brain), whether he was actually still breaking the limit or not is pure speculation.

I was talking about the question of speed limits needing to be higher due to car advances etc… as per some post in this thread…

grenosteve
    Free Member

I don’t even know how manufacturers can sell a car/bike that’s not limited to 70!

Come on, I’m sure you can do better than that! 1/10

Good one! (sarcastic)

Although I have no idea why you think that to be honest.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isnt the advice from motoring experts to slow down if you are being closely tailgated so that your speed is appropriate to the gap left? Or even better pull in and beat the tailgater to death with your cock let the tailgater pass, then continue on your journey safe in the knowledge that in the event of an emergency stop you wont be piled into by the aforementioned tailgater?

nealglover
    Free Member

Take a standard 215/60 R16 like on my Smax. Diam = 16″

To be pedantic, that’s the diameter of the wheel without the tyre.

To get the actual figure, you need the tyre diameter.

wwaswas

the tyre diameter.

60% of 215mm x 2 + equivalent of 16″ in mm?

but tyre inflation pressure would affect actual diameter too?

nealglover
    Free Member

60% of 215mm x 2 + equivalent of 16″ in mm?

Well spotted 😉

theotherjonv

To be pedantic, that’s the diameter of the wheel without the tyre.

To be pedantic, your complaint about ignoring the tyre isn’t pedantic. That is a completely valid observation that would substantially affect the calculation. Pointing out that tyre inflation might affect the answer by a miniscule amount is pedantic.

The fact you missed that I HAD included the tyre in the calculation is something else entirely; neither valid not pedantic. But politeness prevents me from typing ****wit on a family forum 😉

wwaswas

Pointing out that tyre inflation might affect the answer by a miniscule amount is pedantic.

*preens*

dooosuk
    Free Member

Well, I’ll go and produce on Wednesday and see if it goes anywhere from there

So what did they say when you produced your doc’s?

wwaswas

So what did they say when you produced your doc’s?

I don’t think it went well…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-got-a-job

dooosuk
    Free Member

I don’t think it went well…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-got-a-job

Comes with company car though so he must still have his licence.

GrahamS

Unless there are adverse weather conditions or hazards there is no reason to drive 5 or 10 mph under the limit. The limits have been set by the authorities to be a safe driving speed, not some arbitrary figure you just come up with.

Sorry, but that’s just daft.

As an example you are welcome to tackle these corners at 60, the “safe driving speed” as “set by the authorities”:

There are big holes in the crash fences and bunches of wilting flowers for those that do.

Personally I use my judgement and slow down a bit to a speed I feel comfortable taking them in with my vehicle.

That might seem an extreme example, but in Northumberland I’m surrounded by rural roads that are all NSL by default and on many of them 40 would be too fast, even in perfect conditions.

richmtb

As an example you are welcome to tackle these corners at 60,

Challenge accepted, now where is this road?

I’ll borrow this for the afternoon

EDIT

This is said in jest of course. The point you make is especially valid on Scotland’s many singletrack roads where an average speed of 30mph is “making progress”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not followed this but someone was done for dangerous driving under the speed limit as it was not safe to do that speed and clearly 60 mph on many country roads is not only not safe it would lead to the certainty of crashing even on a closed road.

the speed limit is that the MAXIMUM speed you can do it is not the TARGET speed you must achieve

Edric64
    Free Member

That red car looks like the sort of thing seen on council estates across the country .Usually old ones that chavved up !!

andyl
    Free Member

but tyre inflation pressure would affect actual diameter too?

wheel RPM also affects actual diameter due to centrifugal loads (although probably not even measurable on a normal road car at road car speeds).

With regards to doing less than the limit – in the peugot bends are fun. In the 4×4 they are not. I really noticed just how much more twisty NSL roads on the IoW are compared to here on the mainland when we got back from there this summer.

As I told the OH when she was learning the speed limit is a limit and not a target. But it is bloody frustrating when people drive excessively slow. even more so when people do 30 in an NSL and then 40 in a 30… 🙄

Viewing 22 posts - 241 through 262 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Pulled for speeding, but I wasn't speeding. What can I do?’ is closed to new replies.