• This topic has 261 replies, 111 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 262 total)
  • Pulled for speeding, but I wasn't speeding. What can I do?
  • hora
    Free Member

Most of us have been nicked for speeding

No. Most of us have upto prescription glasses or eye test. Unless of course the coppers under your nose 8)

andyfla
    Free Member

Nope, driving for 26 years (where did that go ????) and not had a point

wwaswas

driving for 26 years

[jasper carrot]

and not fallen asleep at the wheel yet?

[/jasper carrot]

matt_outandabout

[url=https://imgflip.com/memegenerator]via Imgflip Meme Maker[/url]

ransos
    Free Member

Has car safety not improved over the years? So why have the speed limits not increased also?

In 1966, 7985 people were killed on our roads. In 2013 it was 1793.

Why do you want to go backwards?

tinybits
    Free Member

why have we not decreased the speed limits to allow for busier roads?

To get more flow of traffic through the same stretch of road actually needs everyone to speed up. If you close 2 lanes on a motorway, the only way to get all the vehicles through without causing a hold up is to triple the speed in the remaining lane so triple the cars can travel on the stretch of carriageway in the same time frame. So, increase the limit to 210mph. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

Also, has nobody thought of the utter futility of arguing with a black cab driver? He’s right. And that’s it.
    Now let me tell you about the time I had Rooney in he cab no tip or ought the tight bugger…..
    And in slightly more serious response to the op, you are bloody kidding right? What difference does it make to whether it was 31 or 35 you were caught at. On another day, maybe you wouldn’t have been done for 45, however, you were so suck it up. If you were adamant you were not speeding I may have a bit of sympathy, but to argue that you were not as far over as you caught at seems a little stupid.

andyfla
    Free Member

To get more flow of traffic through the same stretch of road actually needs everyone to speed up. If you close 2 lanes on a motorway, the only way to get all the vehicles through without causing a hold up is to triple the speed in the remaining lane so triple the cars can travel on the stretch of carriageway in the same time frame. So, increase the limit to 210mph

Now you have explained it, I do understand

and not fallen asleep at the wheel yet?

Redbull …..

Matt24k
    Free Member

Maybe the next STW poll should be have you ever been nicked for speeding?
    I have 13 other people with me now and 9 of them have at some time been caught. Not a scientific data set but I reckon that equals a majority or most of us.

hora
    Free Member

n 1966, 7985 people were killed on our roads. In 2013 it was 1793.

Better medical/trauma care would play a huge part.

People love to say ‘cars have airbags etc’. I’d also say the emergency services and immediate care in hospital play a big part too.

If your caught speeding once- it says to me SLOW DOWN. You dont have the awareness skills to travel at faster speeds obviously.

jools182
    Free Member

Surprised by how many people think it’s ok/morally justified/amusing/safe to ‘annoy’ other drivers by deliberately driving below the speed limit.

Unless there are adverse weather conditions or hazards there is no reason to drive 5 or 10 mph under the limit. The limits have been set by the authorities to be a safe driving speed, not some arbitrary figure you just come up with.

People seem to think there are just 2 camps, those who speed with no regard for anyone else, and those who drive safely by going slower than they need to. There are those of us who observe speed limits and want to maintain some flow to traffic and progress safely

Going out of your way to annoy other road users is just odd. Maybe you get bossed around at home or work and need to exert some power another way, whatever it is, it’s hardly safe driving

wwaswas

The limits have been set by the authorities to be a safe driving speed,

Nope.

The National Speed Limit is not intended to be a target, rural roads should be driven according to the road width, distance you can see to be clear etc not 60mph ‘cos that’s the limit mate’.

BoardinBob

deliberately driving below the speed limit.

It’s a limit, not a requirement

andyfla
    Free Member

The limits have been set by the authorities to be a safe driving speed

So all it is saying is the maximum speed you may travel on that road is X, which means we should all surely drive at a few miles an hour below it ?
    Interesting we all seem to say the limit is X so we will drive slightly faster than that. The A6 out of Derby is a case in point as it goes straight past a school with a speed limit of 30 – most cars seem to drive at 45 and I end up with a queue behind me when i drive at 30

ransos
    Free Member

Surprised by how many people think it’s ok/morally justified/amusing/safe to ‘annoy’ other drivers by deliberately driving below the speed limit.

You sound like one of those people who tailgates people driving marginally below the limit, as punishment for making you 1.5 seconds late.

hora
    Free Member

For me- if you dont see a speed camera and your caught, you obviously wouldn’t notice anything thats not painted bright yellow or very large signs warning. You can’t process such obviuos things at a higher speed then it should be a wake up call.

Regardless of how fancy your company car is- you aren’t as talented as you think. Drive to the conditions AND your personal ability.

What did Jackie Stewart once say? Two things you can’t question about a man; his love making and driving skills?

chip
    Free Member

I would say your crumple zone and the enforce wearing of seat belts had a lot to do with it.

I used to spend a lot of time at a breakers yard that dealt exclusively with insurance company’s and write offs.

You would see cars that you knew there was no way someone was surviving that but also there would be older cars that were written off with relatively minor damage but there would always be few with spiders web smash in the screen with hair and flesh embedded even on some with what looked like minor front damage, the sort you would expect to drive around and see two people exchanging details.

I have a freind with a curved spine and no front teeth from exiting his car through the windscreen.
    Cars have got a lot safer, which is a good thing, not an excuse to make driving more dangerous again by increasing speed limits.

jools182
    Free Member

You sound like one of those people who tailgates people driving marginally below the limit, as punishment for making you 1.5 seconds late.

I don’t tailgate

I don’t like people driving slower than is necessary without reason

Like I said in my original post, people seem to think there are two camps, crazed speeding lunatics, or people who drive at 25mph

BoardinBob

I do get annoyed at people driving slower than is necessary without reason

I didn’t know you were Professor Charles Xavier and you could read other motorist’s minds and know why they were driving at a particular speed?

jools182
    Free Member

I was referring to people who do it to ‘annoy’ other drivers as I said in my original post

hora
    Free Member

If someones driving slow- overtake them. Or is that a dirty word?

chip
    Free Member

Slower than you find necessary.

Maybe they are not as confident as you are and feel they are driving at a speed they feel comfortable at given conditions.

andyfla
    Free Member

I was referring to people who do it to ‘annoy’ other drivers

I only do it to annoy the arses who try and read my speedo through the back window, I even seem to let more people out of side streets when this happens.

wwaswas

Or is that a dirty word?

on the sort of roads where there are lower speed limits 20/30/40 passing safely whilst sticking to the limit is often difficult if not impossible. So don’t.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Make no mistake, knob head copper took exception with the speed you pulled away from the lights, she just can’t ticket you for it so she pulled you for doing 33 in a 30 because that’s all she had on you. Coppers drive over the limit all the time, ticketing for 3 miles over the limit stretches the meaning of the word discretionary. Maybe she was on her period.

I think we all understand this but being plod is like being in any position of power, you just want a bit of respect. Beating them from the lights albeit ‘just over the limit’ is just asking for trouble and that’s what he got. As my old man always said to me, ” you don’t have to like them but you can never beat them”.

Northwind

tinybits – Member

To get more flow of traffic through the same stretch of road actually needs everyone to speed up.

Actually not. You need to increase the average speed but that can be achieved with better flow management. Sometimes reducing the speed limit gets the traffic flowing and moving better. (I know very little about this- just enough to know it’s interesting and a bit counterintuitive)

chewkw
    Free Member

enfht – Member

… ticketing for 3 miles over the limit stretches the meaning of the word discretionary

That’s the word I am looking for … discretionary. They could simply stop the driver to remain him of the speed limits and anything more than that is not only harsh but goes against common sense. Very petty especially on an empty road.

hora – Member

If someones driving slow- overtake them. Or is that a dirty word?

It’s a dirty word according to my friend … not sure why … 🙄

gwaelod
    Free Member

best way to increase flow through a stretch of road is to restrict it to car use and make it peds and cycles only…you’ll get far more people through it then.

richmtb

The cops are testing two things when they follow you like that.

1: Your speed
    2: Your observation skills

Looks like the OP failed both tests

hora
    Free Member

I even seem to let more people out of side streets when this happens.

I saw someone get rear-ended doing this. Worse than excessive speed to be honest.

konabunny
    Free Member

Maybe the next STW poll should be have you ever been nicked for speeding?
    I have 13 other people with me now and 9 of them have at some time been caught. Not a scientific data set but I reckon that equals a majority or most of us.

Nicked means arrested, surely? Not just ticketed or caught by a camera.

ransos
    Free Member

Like I said in my original post, people seem to think there are two camps, crazed speeding lunatics, or people who drive at 25mph

5mph below the limit? Could you tell us what other trivialities annoy you? It must be a very long list, so take your time.

konabunny
    Free Member

SMIDSY-tastic!

Lifer
    Free Member

hora – Member

I saw someone get rear-ended doing this. Worse than excessive speed to be honest.

People following too close?

BoardinBob

They could simply stop the driver to remain him of the speed limits and anything more than that is not only harsh but goes against common sense. Very petty especially on an empty road.

I’m guessing they probably did pull him over for a chat then he got arsey with them in the back of the car.

cb

I think your biggest mistake was being a “professional” driver and daring to drive under 50! Coppers (without blues on), buses and especially cabbies round here know the law – NEVER drive anywhere under 50mph.

hora
    Free Member

People following too close?

Driving slowly in traffic – its fine to let someone filter in if everyone is crawling. I’ve had- someone almost slam on from 40 in a 40 to let a family cross – I didn’t get close to his rear but it meant me also having to apply equal amounts of brake.

There are no give way lines in the road. I’ll never flash someone out- can you see all hazzards?

You may think its being courteous but its not legal or safe to let someone out when you have cars following behind you.

chip
    Free Member

If someone wishes to pull out and I can stop and let them in good time, I check my mirror.
    If there is traffic behind me I stop and let them out, if there is no traffic behind, I carry on as I figure there is no point stopping slightly inconveniencing my self if the road is clear for them to pull out the moment I pass anyway.

If someone rear ends me they obviously were ever too close or not looking where they are going.

Lifer
    Free Member

hora – Member

You may think its being courteous but its not legal or safe to let someone out when you have cars following behind you.

Really?

hora
    Free Member

Its not legal though- so why would you do it?

aracer
    Free Member

This. hora does appear to be articulating the common fallacy that it’s the fault of the person in front that the one behind didn’t leave sufficient stopping distance or wasn’t paying proper attention.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Pulled for speeding, but I wasn't speeding. What can I do?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM