• This topic has 261 replies, 111 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 262 total)
  • Pulled for speeding, but I wasn't speeding. What can I do?
  • Spin
    Free Member

I predict this will run and run. Just like every other driving / speeding thread ever started. Did you have winter tyres on?

sharkbait
    Free Member

The cab is auto so pulls away quickly at traffic lights so maybe they objected to me being in front of them, it had happened a couple of times

Thats funny. You pissed around with a police car at two sets of lights and you’re surprised you got done?

zippykona

I always thought if 2 cops agree you are speeding then you are. Things may have changed in the last 30 years of course.

butcher

I am surprised that they gave you a ticket for such a marginal speed over the limit mind. Surely it would be difficult for them to prove it from a moving vehicle. I’d be genuinely interested to hear what equipment they use.

langylad
    Free Member

General rule with motorway patrols is they don’t particularly care if you are doing less than 80. There was a 10% plus 2 in lancs on normal roads and we never booked anyone below 40 as a rule, that may have changed with the advent of speed vans though. If it was a traffic car they may well have had a calibrated device, however most patrol cars just have their own speedos which are just as accurate as yours. The officers will have had to do a calibration run over a measured mile and document it in notebooks if they didn’t use a device in the car.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Understandable, but me, at 05.30 in the morning, on (Gt Homer St, for those that know Liverpool) a wide, deserted road with no residential properties anywhere near, certainly no pedestrians whatsoever. It’s ridiculous in the extreme.

It is extreme, I agree, but you’ve no argument. In fact, you’ve confessed to your heinous crime. You’re going to have to take this on the chin, fella, unless you’re prepared to take it to court. Have you actually been charged? And was it a traffic car? I thought that they had to observe you speeding over a set distance. You may have room to wriggle out of this yet, presuming you didn’t actual state to the officers that you were doing 33mph…

MartynS

Unfortunately your a bit stuck.
    The police don’t need any equipment, or calibrated speedos. The word of an officer in court would be enough to convict.(with regards to motoring offences) it is back to front but it’s up to you to prove you weren’t speeding.

You were speeding by your own admission. The 10% + 2 mph is a guideline if the police want to do you for 31mph they can.

You should be able to get a speed awareness course (assuming you havent done one in the last 3 years) make sure you reply within the timeframe they have set, is it 28 days? Failure to do so is very expensive.

I reckon you’ve been horribly unlucky but you’re proberbly going to have to suck this up.

chip
    Free Member

The cab is auto so pulls away quickly at traffic lights

Maybe you should get your cab fixed if you cannot pull away in a serene manner and the fact it pulls away quick has nowt to do with your foot pressing it.

Spin
    Free Member

The word of an officer in court would be enough to convict.(with regards to motoring offences) it is back to front but it’s up to you to prove you weren’t speeding.

I hope that is wrong.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not arsed about the fine, it’s the points I don’t want. They say I was going faster than I was, and I was not going 35.

You keep saying that, but by what instrument are you calculating your speed ??

That’s what I am angry about. They are embellishing their account to make it seem as though I was exceeding the limit by a greater amount.
    If they’d wrote me a ticket saying 33 or 32 in a 30, well that seems pretty harsh but at least it was true. Saying I was doing 35 in a 30 is a blatant lie.

Go to court then, and contest the ticket. If they are lying, they will need to fabricate some evidence.

Tell the judge you were doing 33 not 35.

See what they say.

langylad
    Free Member

As the great ape says, there is no harm in writing a very well worded, apologetic letter to the station sergeant, it may pay dividends.

butcher

The word of an officer in court would be enough to convict.(with regards to motoring offences) it is back to front but it’s up to you to prove you weren’t speeding.

I understood this to be the case. But I didn’t think they did it regarding speeding, except in excessive circumstances.

redstripe
    Free Member

I recently got pulled over in Bournemouth on a dual carriageway for doing 44 in a 40 by 2 policeman, I thought here we go, but the one who dealt with it just said my speed was creeping up a bit, politely told me off and sent me on my way. He showed me the evidence on this camera gadget thing. I guess he was having a good day and being reasonable and OP’s a bad one and not

BoardinBob

The word of an officer in court would be enough to convict

This seems bizarre. Plenty of cases where people got off because the radar gun or camera hadn’t been calibrated and checked in accordance with the rules, yet somehow the word of two police is sufficient?

Regardless, OP you’re a numpty for speeding regardless of the time or type of road you were on. Maintaining an indicated 35 in front of them wasn’t big or clever. Take it like a man.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Wait, were you in an HGV while you were spazzing about at a load of traffic lights with a copper?

chip
    Free Member

I think you would have to have the equipment independently tested at your expense, as everyone would be asking to have it done if only to try their luck.

I have only heard of overpaid sportsman having this done.

Cougar

My sister has 3 points for 32 she was speeding there is no 10% plus 2.

ACPO guidelines:

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/uniformed/2013/201305-uoba-joining-forces-safer-roads.pdf

See points 9.6 and 9.7.

loddrik
    Free Member

Wait, were you in an HGV while you were spazzing about at a load of traffic lights with a copper?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m confused by the thread title

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I reckon you’ve been horribly unlucky

How is it unlucky to get pulled for speeding when you’re deliberately driving faster than the speed limit in front of a cop car?

breadcrumb

I’d just take the points or do the course and move on. 3 points alone probably won’t affect your insurance.

And next time stick with the indicated speed, especially when the old filth are behind you!

RustySpanner

Not got aftermarket wheels or non standard tyres on have you?
    Can knock your speedo out a bit.
    EDIT – ignore, didn’t know it was a black cab.

My golden rule is to be as nice as possible to the fuzz.
    A happy copper is a nice copper, you never know when you might need one.
    9 o’clock yesterday morning in my case.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ah, most taxi drivers are cretins anyway. (Old man owns a firm) You def deserved it just for uttering “most speedos are over calibrated” never mind the fact you were messing about at the traffic lights with the coppers, any fool knows to let the Police out in front. You’re meant to be a professional driver, perhaps start acting like it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Is there someone (as in job title) within the local force I can speak to over this? I am sure that most of the Police around here would probably agree that a ticket on Gt Homer St for doing 33mph at 05.30 is pretty harsh.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

At least you were making progress though… Oh wait.

BoardinBob

most of the Police around here would probably agree that a ticket on Gt Homer St for doing 33mph at 05.30 is pretty harsh

But the limit is 30. Its not variable. You were speeding. What next “I’m only a bit over the alcohol limit”

Dry your eyes and admit you were wrong.

loddrik
    Free Member

Ah, most taxi drivers are cretins anyway. (Old man owns a firm)

Right that’s you qualified to make sweeping generalisations then…

And I wasn’t ‘messing about’ at the lights, you press the throttle, the vehicle goes forward.

nealglover
    Free Member

I am sure that most of the Police around here would probably agree that a ticket on Gt Homer St for doing 33mph 35mph at 05.30 is pretty harsh. fairly standard

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I revel in doing 30 mph on the speedo everywhere though

I drop to 25 (30’s the limit not a target after all) if the car behind is trying to sodomize my exhaust pipe, and definitely stop at all give way lines, just in case.

MartynS

The word of an officer in court would be enough to convict
    This seems bizarre. Plenty of cases where people got off because the radar gun or camera hadn’t been calibrated and checked in accordance with the rules, yet somehow the word of two police is sufficient?

Regardless, OP you’re a numpty for speeding regardless of the time or type of road you were on. Maintaining an indicated 35 in front of them wasn’t big or clever. Take it like a man

There used to be cases where people got off on technicalities with radar guns. They are now laser, with home office type approval. Meaning if you want to contest it on a technicality you pay for experts.
    It’s also worth remembering that technically before an officer uses equipment to check your speed they should have formed prior opinion that the suspect was speeding, the clever kit is only there to corroborate the officers prior opinion

loddrik
    Free Member

I already said I wasn’t doing 35, they SAID I was, hence my grievance, I know I wasn’t doing 35. If they give me a ticket for doing 33 well that’s my carelessness, but saying I was doing 35 in a 30 is wrong, hence why I want to appeal.

chip
    Free Member

So will you say you believe you may have been going 33 at a push and that the officer involved may have been mistaken and feel this is unfair .

Or that the officer is a vindictive lying cow who got the hump because you beat her from the lights.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Three traffic light grand prix followed by speeding and you’re surprised they issued a ticket?

Good luck!

nealglover
    Free Member

And I wasn’t ‘messing about’ at the lights, you press the throttle, the vehicle goes forward.

So you have no control over how quickly you accelerate then ?

That sounds dangerous, I’m sticking to manual gearboxes I reckon. 🙄

Kahurangi

As my driving instructor used to say

thirty-one will get you done

Suggsey
    Free Member

Police car is probably GPS black boxed too and will prove their speed at a constant distance from you as well as two officers evidence of you driving in excess of 30mph in a 30mph speed restriction zone. I say go to court, give it a go and end up with a much bigger penalty and plenty of local publicity of being the speeding cabby that no one wants to travel with…..of course if any more points would potentially put you on a ban under totting up then you need to learn the lessons the hard way.

wwaswas

So if they issue a new ticket for 33 you’ll accept it?

loddrik
    Free Member

I guess I’ll have to, though given the time and location it is ridiculously harsh. But saying I was doing 35 is a lie.

thegreatape
    Free Member

IIRC from police school – and I may not, it was a long time ago and its traffic stuff which I dont concern myself with these days – the bit where one officers opinion that you were speeding was sufficient evidence, without some form of corroboration by equipment of some sort or another witness, only applied on motorways.

nealglover
    Free Member

I know I wasn’t doing 35.

I’ll try again.

How
    Do
    You
    Know
    This ??

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Pulled for speeding, but I wasn't speeding. What can I do?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM