• This topic has 98 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Pull ups.
  • moniex
    Free Member

I am sure girly pull ups count twice….. 😉

First time anyone ever called me light…..

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Thought i’d revive this thread as a progress update if anyone was interested, pull ups wise i can now do 20, did three sets of weighted x10 with 10kg today, dips with 15kg and can now do 70 push ups. No one is more amazed than me and at 51 i thought it was all over.

deviant
    Free Member

Good effort, I love bodyweight type training. A mixture of pull-ups, dips, press-ups, crunches and cycling is a great way to keep fit without neglecting your upper body and core as lots of cyclists tend to do unfortunately.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nice one twinw4ll – you might want to progress to some other stuff? Levers, flags etc. Bloody hard work, but very rewarding.

I love bodyweight type training

So does Rob 🙂 Currently working through the progressions in this:

I laugh at your pull-ups (I can’t actually do that many btw), although I can do a one handed cheat – pull up with right arm and hold right wrist with left hand – and raise you a Dragon Flag…

My technique probably isn’t the best though (not me in pic)

Coyote
    Free Member

The assisted pull up and dip machine is my favourite instrument of torture at the gym. “Concept 2” rowing machine, cross trainer and that will see a pretty fruitful hour’s training.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I really must have another go at the Convict Conditioning exercises…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Thanks you lot, a bit of encouragement goes a long way, TheArtist i do those dragon flags with 20kg dumbell between my feet.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Just kidding. 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

There isn’t a set amount anyone should be able to do, regardless of willy waving. Just practice, it doesn’t take long to up your reps. Do dead hangs to failure before going assisted for the remainder of the set. You’ll just find that you’ll be doing more and more on your own.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve just tried doing one & I’ve pulled both my biceps. Ah well, another week off then.

This blokes good…

Mugboo

Palms facing me, 4. Palms away & I just shake instead of moving!

DrJ

I’m 55, weigh 88kg and I can’t do a single one 🙁

CaptJon
    Free Member

twinw4ll – Member
    Thought i’d revive this thread as a progress update if anyone was interested, pull ups wise i can now do 20, did three sets of weighted x10 with 10kg today, dips with 15kg and can now do 70 push ups. No one is more amazed than me and at 51 i thought it was all over.

No get yourself a fingerboard and get those fingers nice and strong.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks Rob, just purchased a copy of complete calisthenics. Been doing a lot of core work but would like to add a bit more upper body strength to the routines and that looks great.

jools182
    Free Member

Palms facing me, one

Earl
    Free Member

There are some very strong strength to weight guys at the gym.
    One day one had a 35kg belt on – his best was 4. I asked him how heavy was he in total. 91kg.

A) Thats over 50% inbody weight he strapped on – full credit.
    b) Thats still less than I weight (I was born when meat was cheap). And he was taller than I am.

41y, 94kg, 5’7 .. maybe… I find warming up makes a lot of difference. From cold – I can manage 10 if I’m lucky. After a hour’s hard ride and sweating heavily I can do 15.

Earl
    Free Member

and moniex – girl doing pullups? <dribble….>

5thElefant
    Free Member

One day one had a 35kg belt on – his best was 4. I asked him how heavy was he in total. 91kg.

I’d use 60kg for my heavy sets in my lifting days. I weighed around 105kg.

I put up a chin bar last week after 4 years off. That was a shock…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Been doing a lot of core work but would like to add a bit more upper body strength to the routines and that looks great.

Prepare to find out what a *really* strong core feels like :mrgreen:

I’m doing it to up my strength to weight and it’s really doing the job.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’d use 60kg for my heavy sets in my lifting days. I weighed around 105kg.

dips or chins?

either way – woah!

lemonysam
    Free Member

No get yourself a fingerboard and get those fingers nice and strong.

Bear in mind that if you’re not already a climber* this is likely to result in injury very quickly.

*or have strong fingers to start with.

Earl
    Free Member

65kg!!!!! a mate of mine can’t even dead that!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

5th elephant, that is impressive, 😯 how many could you do with 60kg? infact i only weigh 65kg, so i would need to add about 35-40kg, i’ll keep you posted.
    Yes, have just started climbing, doing pull ups on the door architrave at the moment.
    This post may have it’s roots in willy waving, at 51 waving is all i really do with mine. 🙂

Earl
    Free Member

tw – 51 – no only doing but progressing – full credit there.

footflaps

Dan John has a good article on Fitness Standards

Strength Standards…Sleepless in Seattle

Although this is aimed at College Athletes, so you need to intelligently down grade it by age eg I’m 44 and the WR masters (40-45) record for the Snatch is 2/3 of that vs the OR, so I knock 1/3 off all his numbers.

NB Anyone who can do 15 overhead squats at body weight is doing very very well!

stever
    Free Member

Pull ups are a funny thing, they mostly tell you how good you are at pull-ups. I know some good standard rock climbers (French 7a/b ish) that are rubbish …which is a long-winded way of saying ‘not as many as I used to’ 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

dips or chins?

Pull ups. I could do more on dips.

5th elephant, that is impressive, how many could you do with 60kg?

I don’t remember to be honest (it was 10 years ago shortly before I buggered my shoulder on a mountain board). Certainly no more than 5.

Form wasn’t great, but your balance gets messed up…

The older I get the better I was 🙁

footflaps

The older I get the better I was

Yep, it’s all downhill from now on….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s me. 😆

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I started doing some training for climbing and pull ups was suggested, apparently in hindsight its not the most relevant but I gave it a go. It was incredibly hard. After 4/5 months I can now do about 8 with good form and then the next two are crap.

Theres a lot of technique and core strength involved, not just bicep pulls. Good luck.

cjr61

Loving the whole bodyweight Calisthenics revival at the moment…..or at least that’s how I could justify spending a couple of hours building some paralettes the other weekend when I could have been doing proper husband jobs!

Saying that they are proper fun to play on and they only cost me about £7…bonus!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Need a pic of you doing a planche on them Chris. 😉

cjr61

Yeah the planche is a little way off still! 😳

cr500dom
    Free Member

I`m 42 and I still cant do one
    been strength and conditioning training for the last 8 weeks or so and its making a difference, but not to my pull ups 😳
    I`ve not been in the gym for 18 years either, but really enjoying it now.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’m no expert Dominic, but why not just do the negative part of the pull up very slowly, step up to the top part of the pull up then lower yourself down.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Pull ups. I could do more on dips.

Yarp. Always strikes me as odd, that one, as for bench/row its the other way around.

I’m a ways off your pullups. Maybe 20kg for 5 right now. I can dip 30kg for 7 (followed by strained shoulder, doh).

Anyone who can do 15 overhead squats at body weight is doing very very well!

That Dan John list is pretty cool, but with some odd bits. There’s a massive, massive difference in flexibility, technique AND strength between 15 bodyweight squats (which is relatively easy) and 15 overhead bodyweight squats (which is, well, you’ll rarely ever see it).

cr500dom
    Free Member

twinw4ll

I’m no expert Dominic, but why not just do the negative part of the pull up very slowly, step up to the top part of the pull up then lower yourself down.

Thanks, that’s a good idea, I`ll try that tomorrow 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yarp. Always strikes me as odd, that one, as for bench/row its the other way around.

I’ve never known anyone to row more than they can bench. Usually in powerlifting deadlift and benchpress scores are similar, never mind rowing. I could benchpress nearly double what I could row which I’d consider normal.

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve seen that’s the way to get into them

Stand on a chair to get into the up position, then just lower yourself down, and repeat

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Pull ups.’ is closed to new replies.