Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Psychmetric tests
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I have one at 12pm for a big law firm, it may be 1-1 or a paper exercise, I don’t know.

Any tips?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Question 1.

What is the correct spelling of psychometric –

A)Psychmetric
    B)Psychometric
    C)Sychometric

Drac

Tips just answer the questions don’t try to be clever about it.

Hohum
    Free Member

Answer them honestly and consistently.

soobalias
    Free Member

practise.

druidh
    Free Member

Ho hum – Member
    Answer them honestly and consistently.

This.

Many ask the same question repeatedly (perhaps slight re-wording).

leffeboy

any questions about chin guards are a trick and can be ignored,

maybe

Junkyard
    Free Member

they test your for truthfullness you are in trouble!
    They generally have some obvious type questions to Have you ever stolen anything ever lied that sort of stuff
    Apart from that they just want to see what kind of person you are to see if you will fit in. Given that there is no real point lying TBH we just use them to see how a person “really” is
    I think they are rubbish and I am qualified to do them
    HTH

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve done two. As above, consistency. Also echo druidh’s comments – likely to be asked the same thing over and over, just in different ways.

Good luck 🙂

wwaswas

Mention you’re a regular on stw.

That’ll tell them all they need to know.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Listened to a good Radio 4 documentary about how they are complete rubbish, and it’s just become an industry standard with no real basis. Pretty much what most people know already.

hels
    Free Member

Don’t over think it ??

Oops, too late….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don’t get your girlfriend to fill one out for you during the dying days of your relationshuip… the result will definitely come out as ‘Psycho’.

toys19
    Free Member

I had one once and they made me count 30 seconds “as accurately as I could” . I did 1 – 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000 method, she told me that my count was wildly inaccurate and off, was I happy with it? I said I was and later found out this was the wrong thing to say, it’s supposed to be a way of examining how you respond to “constructive criticism” . The thing is I spent ages as a child training myself with the 1-1000 method and know I am pretty accurate so the test was bollocks as she obviously lied about the accuracy so my response wasn’t for the correct stimulus.
    ERGO after my rigorous research I can confidently say psychometric testing is shite.

(In truth my pal is a professor of Psychology at Nottingham Uni and used to do lots of this and he told me its all bollocks)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    Listened to a good Radio 4 documentary about how they are complete rubbish, and it’s just become an industry standard with no real basis. Pretty much what most people know already.

I’d dispute that, to an extent.

I used to work for the company founded by the guy who invented the modern Psychometric Test (Peter Saville) and used them myself in recruitment.

The “OPQ32” is detailed, thorough and accurate, but is even then, intended to be used as a starting point for interpretive discussion and feedback, not as some sort of “photograph” of a person’s psyche!

I fear that over time, competitors have dumbed down the original to the point where they have indeed, become a bit of a joke.

Apropo of nothing much: Peter’s professional partner, Roger Holdsworth, recently died. They were the “S” and “H” in “SHL UK”…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s done by HR departments… need I say anymore?

Cougar

Question 1) – “Do you want to work for a company which believes that psychometric testing is a useful allocation of resources?”

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That would depend on whether the testing was done properly, using an accurate and reliable tool.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Bollocks or not, its what Al needs to do to get the job he wants! For the record i do believe it too is a load of hot air. I have done two, one for a sales company called Pareto Law (they’re another story though….if anyone knows of them and would like to share their experiences feel free as im sure it will be similar to mine!!! )and it was utter rubbish, but you have to play their game if you want it!!

Get involved and do as DGOAB says.

Job done!

Good luck

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pareto Law

Recruitment company for graduate level sales positions?

MS
    Free Member

Done a few, complete waste of time imo. Well I think it is a way of whittling down the candidates at the first stage but not when it comes to asessment centres.

I did a couple of practice ones on the SHL website. They prepare you for them and DO help. The key is to only pick out the info you need, as time is usually pretty tight. If you dont know the snawer straight away move on, as you can come back to them.

There is better ways to asess people rather than seeing if they can pick the odd one out in a sequence in a very limited time period. To me it should be more focussed on the type of work you will be doing in the job.

druidh
    Free Member

MS – Member

There is better ways to asess people rather than seeing if they can pick the odd one out in a sequence in a very limited time period. That type of question is usually found in an aptitude test, not a psychometric test.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Which programme was that then? So I guess you’ve got a PhD in Organisational Psychology then to know that they’re all rubbish?

Give me £5k and I can tell you with 60% certainty whether someone will be successful in their job or not. That’s backed up by empirical data.

I think that’s a pretty good investment given the cost of hiring and then have to lose a dud.

I know Pareto Law, they are focused on graduates into sales roles. They’re OK but they haven’t got a psychometric tool that’s worth the paper it’s printed on (and most likely it will still be printed!)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Give me £5k and I can tell you with 60% certainty…

Give me a 2p piece and I’ll tell you with 50% certainty…

geetee1972
    Free Member

TSY – nice try, but your maths are wrong. It’s not a binary outcome.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Do you work in sales for a psychometric testing company? 😆

You don’t have to name them, but we all know they’re pap. 😆

Oh, and you offer a definite probability for something that doesn’t have a precise mathematical outcome… I call shenanigans on your tests and their results!

TheBrick
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    Which programme was that then? So I guess you’ve got a PhD in Organisational Psychology then to know that they’re all rubbish?

Give me £5k and I can tell you with 60% certainty whether someone will be successful in their job or not. That’s backed up by empirical data.

I think that’s a pretty good investment given the cost of hiring and then have to lose a dud.

Don’t get you knickers in a twist. I am only relaying information I have heard. If you wish to correct me or point out errors there is no need to do so in such an aggressive manor. The way in which you attack someone who questions you instantly make me suspicious as to your claims.

60% does not sound like much of a selling point.
    How does 60% compare to someone taking a random guess (not just win loose as I guess it depends on the definition of success)? Someone who just knows the industry? e.t.c What are you defining as success? Is the general scientific consensus split at all on these effectiveness of these tests? What is the defined scope of your 60% accurate test?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do you work in sales for a psychometric testing company?

Have in the past, don’t now but am in a related field. I’ve seen the data and I’ve seen the best that selection models can offer put into practice on the basis of a very strong business case.

I’ll let you know that you’re only partly right with your comment, but the problem is that you haven’t really defined what ‘they’ are, or how they’re used or why they’re ‘pap’.

If what you’re saying is that personality has nothing to do with effectiveness & likely success in role, then that’s partly true but not completely.

It’s a factor. Assuming you’ve got the right kind of tool that measures the right kind of feature, then that data on it’s own is OK but not great. As a predictor of likely performance in role, maybe it has a correlation coefficient of say .2 to .3 If you’re selecting from a pool of say 12 cadidaes, then on pure guess work, you’ve got an 8% chance of making the right selection.

If you’re tool as a 0.3 coefficient, then you’ve only got a 9% chance of being right, so not much better than guess work really.

If you combine data from psychometric tool, with good interviewing, careful background, testing of hypotheses in a controlled environment, such as a simulation or role play, then your predictive validity coefficient can go up to 0.5 pretty easily and even as high as 0.7. Then you’ve going to be able to predict the right candidate maybe 25% to 50% of the time from an infinitely large pool.

Remember, the bigger the pool, the less likely guess work is to help you get the right choice.

So, in summary young TSY (I will be setting an exam on this later), on their own, psychometric tools might well be no better than guess work, but when used in conjunction with other selection tools, they have a synergistic effect.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Don’t get you knickers in a twist. I am only relaying information I have heard

Yeah OK fair point. Sorry about that!

How does 60% compare to someone taking a random guess

Good point – see above for the explanation.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOL…

a synergistic effect

Definitely pap!

😆

I’m just playing with you. I also believe you can ‘play’ the tests.

Interesting that through plain old intuition I worked out that you used to sell the product. I also reckon you were probably pretty good at getting HR managers / HR Directors to buy it!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Definitely pap!

Can you explain?

sweepy
    Free Member

If only it was a quantum synergy 😀
    I dont even believe Interviews are that useful TBH

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Going forwards it probably will escalate into a quantum synergy

geetee1972
    Free Member

I dont even believe Interviews are that useful TBH

You’re completely right. An unstructured interview has a predictive correlation coefficient of about 0.1 or less.

In some instances there is even evidence that unstructured interviews lead to quite stong, negative correlations for success, i.e. the person doing the interview seems to be regulalry selecting the wrong candidates, not the right one.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Interesting that through plain old intuition I worked out that you used to sell the product. I also reckon you were probably pretty good at getting HR managers / HR Directors to buy it!

You hardly needed to be Sherlock Holmes now did you.

I appreciate being played with TSY. Would you get on a plane to take it further or do you only do that for people who are expressing severe depression on STW and who look cute in their profile pic?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i shall declare her Level A trained, Degree in Psychology

Assuming you use a job criteria, application form, selection process and then an interview – it is hardly a guess at this point now is it. What % would you claim pschometrics adds to the “synergistic effect”
    60% fpor that what does the above process produce? Seriously I dont know the answer. Bet you could achieve similair by better training re interwie questions or selction criteria etc. Cheaper too in the long run.

FWIW I have used them and they work very well when you are trying to build a new team of entirely new and unknown people. It allows you to work out who will and wont get on. Who will complement each other in roles who will grate etc. To appoint one person to one role ina team I would not biother tbh and not for £5k

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*books tickets*

But where’s my destination? Can you fill at this small test first..

http://www.isgeeteefilthyenoughforme.com

Edit: There was a picture?!

midlifecrashes

Psychometric testing is NOT PAP!

True there is no scientific or business evidence for their use, but if you fail on the test while being otherwise suitable for the role then you are clearly unlucky, and nobody wants unlucky people working for them.

Good luck Al. 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

When I was working in my 3rd year of university they used the 25+ undergraduates to test out a consultancy offering psychometric testing.

We sat the tests, and then the consultant provided the feedback to us individually with the HR manager with us. Turns out the results were nonsense for most people and didn’t accurately illustrate their ability to perform their jobs.

The company decided not to employ the consultancy in the end.

xiphon
    Free Member

I think I had a psychometric test for dyslexia once. Some sort of psychological test… anyway, played it right and got exam time extensions and a free laptop (which I sold for £1500).

Too easy to play.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Psychmetric tests’ is closed to new replies.