Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • PSA: WW1 Centenary Memorial Tower of London
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

The moat surrounding the Tower of London is being filled with ceramic poppies, Nearly 900,000 one for every commonwealth armed forces member who fell in the Great War.

Work was still ongoing on Sunday but the installation is truely stunning and very moving. It’s due to be formally “opened” on the 5th and will remain in place till November. I can’t post photos but I am not sure my phone snaps would do it justice in any case.

Any STWers able to get down I would encourage you to do so.

Metro link

stumpy01

A friend of mine who works in London took some great pics of it the other day and shared them on FB. It looks pretty amazing.

Didn’t realise it is staying until November. I will have to pop down for a look at some point.
    Still not seen the bomber command memorial, either.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Update here BBC

It looks stunning now and they have planted “only” 140,000 of the nearly 900,000

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A group of five of us cycled right past the Tower of London on Sunday and none of saw anything or knew about it 🙁

Northwind

Does anyone know when in November it runs til? I’ll be down near the end but I’ve a feeling I’ll miss it 🙁

stumpy01

Northwind – Member
    Does anyone know when in November it runs til? I’ll be down near the end but I’ve a feeling I’ll miss it

11th November, I think; Remembrance Day.
    Oh no……that’s the day the last poppy will be placed, but not sure how long it is due to remain in place afterwards….can’t find any info on how long it will remain in place.

brakes
    Free Member

I work in offices next door to the Tower of London – a load of our employees helped ‘plant’ the poppies on volunteer days.
    I haven’t been to have a look yet 😳
    the poppies will be sold off at £25 a pop for charity.

nedrapier

I went for a look at lunch. Very impressive.

There were some people standing around in them. Reading news on the net when I got back, turns out they were Will, Kate and Harry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘PSA: WW1 Centenary Memorial Tower of London’ is closed to new replies.