Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 612 total)
  • PSA – Ragley frames for £170
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Almost tempted to try a Marley at those prices!

breadcrumb

Someone buy all the medium frames quickly please.

I’d still need brakes, rear wheel, cassette and shifter, headset, bars and grips. That’ll soon add up and not seem quite the bargain.

orena45

Ah fgs, been tempted by the Marley 290 at £270 for the last week, especially as I had some CRC vouchers for my birthday last weekend. Used them up this avo on some other bits on offer instead, without realising those frames had dropped further to crazy ridiculous prices! 😩

Kramer
    Free Member

@breadcrumb

Someone buy all the medium frames quickly please.

Can’t help with that, but I have removed one large Marley 290 frame…

Great PSA @lucashmucas

stevedoc
    Free Member

I looked at a Marley frame in June when they were released ,  im now thinking bothball the full sus over winter and just grab one and build up for the winter slop season

Kramer
    Free Member

I looked at a Marley frame in June when they were released , im now thinking bothball the full sus over winter and just grab one and build up for the winter slop season

That’s exactly my thoughts. Even though this winter isn’t going to be much wetter than summer has been. 🤣

stevie750

another large Marley

@lucashmucas cheers

cp

Big al here. I spotted the price drop yesterday and it became a no brainer

Cheap headset too

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/nukeproof-neutron-zs44-zs56-headset

And BB

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/shimano-bb52-68-73mm-bottom-bracket

hardtailonly

Hmm. I’ve a 6 year old BigWig that I’m running SS. Great bike, but could be lighter, and it’s pretty tatty now … how does the Big Al feel to ride?

squirrelking
    Free Member

@breadcrumb the complete bikes are 51% off as well!

lucasshmucas

@hardtailonly I can’t comment on the new Big Al as I have the previous model which is basically the new Marley, although that can take a longer dropper I believe. What I can tell you is that it’s a brilliant frame. It’s lots and lots of fun and almost as compliant as a Bird Forge (made from 853 steel). There is only a tiny difference between the two of them and I think I may just prefer the Big Al because the head angle is slightly steeper so feels a little more direct and involving most of the time. I think the angles on the Marley would be closer to your Big Wig than the Big Al.

If you haven’t already seen it I strongly recommend watching hardtail party’s review of the Big Al on YouTube.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’ve been considering swapping my bigwig out for a Marley before when it was £270, but resisted.

I couldn’t resist for £170+postage though. Should be around 1.5lbs lighter.

Kramer
    Free Member

am slightly concerned that this is a sign that Marley are in trouble though?

breadcrumb
    mulv1976
    Free Member

There’s big discounts on everything at the moment on CRC/wiggle. I think they’ve likely overstocked and struggling to shift it as people aren’t spending money like they used to. I also wonder if wiggle/crc is also struggling to shift stock as a lot of people have been put off by their new website and moved elsewhere.

Kramer
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there’s a way to fit the headset if I don’t have a headset press?

mulv1976
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there’s a way to fit the headset if I don’t have a headset press?

A block of wood and a hammer, gently tap in making sure it’s straight

_tom_
    Free Member

I used to use a vice to press cups in, that was external cups though never tried it with internal/ZS types.

breadcrumb

The temptation is building. The headset linked above might seal it.

Might just be a drawn out build, but I’ve a set of Pike Ultimates sitting there and they’d go nicely on a Big Al…

goldfish24

This thread is bothering me.

Bothering my wallet I mean.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Three times today ive clicked out with a full basket and walked away from the browser .  My 2021 big al was brilliant … i need a pc free weekend and hope they sell out .

Kramer
    Free Member

@stevedoc

Three times today ive clicked out with a full basket and walked away from the browser . My 2021 big al was brilliant … i need a pc free weekend and hope they sell out

Why fight it?

It’s a really good deal.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Im not a fan of the Marley colours   the al in blue would be ace but with i ran my old al with 160mm forks  so 64 o headangle  . The new Al would be  62 0 and thats way to headtube snappingly slack

breadcrumb

Rated for 140-160 so I’d imagine it’ll be fine. My Pikes are currently 160mm, I do have a 150mm airshaft kicking about.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

That’s kind of put a kybosh om me selling my barely used Ragley Trig frame ! .. I want more than that second hand with only 100 miles on it ! .. great value though

Gribs

how does the Big Al feel to ride

I built one up a few weeks ago and I’m enjoying it. I’m only running it with 130mm Bomber Z2’s so it’s a bit steeper and the bottom bracket feels a bit too low using some spare 175mm cranks. It’s still slack enough to be confidence inspiring on steep stuff and seems to climb better than expected on techy stuff. There’s no noticeable flex at all and my bum was feeling it after 10 miles on a canal tow path. My other current mtb is a Bird Aether 9 in ML and this in large is noticeably longer in wheel base.

coconut
    Free Member

Few swift whacks with a wooden mallet, that’s how I fitted mine 🙂 works fine.

binners

I don’t have a 29” hardtail.

Technically I don’t ‘need’ one

I wonder if I’ll be able to get this one past the committee seeing as I don’t actually physically have room for any more bikes

Hmmmmmmmmm…

Kramer
    Free Member

@binners, can you get one that’s the same colour as one of your other ones?

finners

Any Trig owners? Thoughts?

a11y

Not just the frames – 40-50% off full bikes too: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/b/ragley?categoryNames=Bikes&sortBy=priceAsc

Trying to talk myself out of buying a couple of Marleys reduced from £1400 to £700 to stash away for my kid’s next bikes. Small size range 160-170cm and they’re currently 153cm and 148cm and growing fast…

That’s like BOGOF really.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I do have a 29” hardtail. And technically I don’t ‘need’ another. But I’ve ordered a Big Al anyway.

suspendedanimation
    Free Member

When did crc bring in 20 quid postage for bulky items?

cp

I think it was when they launched the new website. Still very cheap overall though for the ragley frames

chestrockwell

That’s kind of put a kybosh om me selling my barely used Ragley Trig frame ! .. I want more than that second hand with only 100 miles on it ! .. great value though

Thanking the stars I managed to sell my full bike as I was about to split it due to low offers!

Any Trig owners? Thoughts?

They are really good fun and very well built/finished. Seemed quite low at the front but that could just have been me not getting on with drops, hence the sale. Much more down the MTB route than a roadie. There’s a decent thread on here about them if you search.

PJay
    Free Member

Can the Trig take a double chainset and front mech? It’s not clear on the Ragley site but I’m suspecting now (I have emailed Ragley).

seriousrikk

Nice PSA, thanks. Slipped and bought a Marley.

chestrockwell

Can the Trig take a double chainset and front mech? It’s not clear on the Ragley site but I’m suspecting now (I have emailed Ragley).

Can’t remember tbh but it has routing for a dropper so I’m sure you could make it work?

mulv1976
    Free Member

Just a word of caution when upgrading frames, I’ve just noticed the large Marley has a head tube 30mm longer than the large bigwig. A bit hit and miss whether my steerer will be long enough (I haven’t cut it), so will have to wait and see…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 612 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.