Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • PSA – Pinnacle Ramin 1 Fork and Frameset – £96
  • Vortexracing

Just collected my Ramin Frame and fork from Evans, cost = £96 with topcashback.

Even came with a FSA headset.

Now to swap some stuff over from my other HT and then some Bikepacking it is 🙂 (When it warms up of course) 😉

Seems well made and a bargain at that price.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ramin-1-2016-mountain-bike-frameset-EV376304

karnali
    Free Member

looks good any rack or guard mounts at all on the frame?

Vortexracing

only on the fork legs and one hole in the fork crown area, non on the frame I’m afraid

karnali
    Free Member

guard mounts at dropout on forks could work for a low rider i’m off to price a cheap groupset

avdave2

I’ve got the Ramin 3, the same but with an EBB and it’s a great, that’s a really good buy for anyone wanting a rigid bike

Vortexracing

Piccies for the curious

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hRq9B2]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hRq9Ak]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I’ve got the Ramin 3+ and its a cracking bikepacking bike , that looks a bargain for £100

vondally
    Free Member

What is the geometry please? Looking for something for a 5ft 3 person – so may be a good option? Is it a 29er?

Vortexracing

Yip it’s a 29er or 650b, I’m 5ft 4” and I don’t think i’ll Have a problem with the size small

Geo should be on the Evans site

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers just found the geometry

Bez

Thanks for the PSA… hopefully this could be a bit of closure for me.

I bought a similarly reduced Ramin 3+ frameset back in 2017, and got through three which all had wrongly sized and/or ovalised orifices (BB, seat tube *and* head tube). Duff batch, apparently. I gave up and bought a Longitude, which has never felt right, because it turns out the geometry isn’t what Genesis listed.

So, although I’m going to have to use a tensioner to singlespeed it instead of an EBB or track ends, hopefully this finally gets me a 29er with the geometry I want.

Either that or it’ll turn up with the same faults as the duff batch of 3+s did and I’ll just give up on mountain bikes altogether 🙂

Anyone want to buy a barely used Longitude frameset in XL?

Oh, and out of interest (I’ll find out soon enough) did yours come with the seatpost shim?

Vortexracing

No it didn’t come with the shim, I was considering emailing Evans about it. The fact it also came with the headset was a big bonus IMO

Rik
    Free Member

Couple of questions.

Is it thru-axle or QR on the fork and frame?

Is the fork 1/8 or tapered steerer?

Is it boost 110/148 or non boost 100/135?

Cheers as none of that is on the website

madedgar
    Free Member

Excellent PSA, even though I didn’t go for the Ramin, which does looks great, I picked up another bargain frameset to build my wife a commuter/tourer. Nice one!

Also, @bez, ygm re: longitude frameset.

andy5390

According to the Q+A on the page, it’s QR front and rear – 100/135

Bez

STandard 100/135 QR, straight 1 1/8″ fork but with a 44mm headtube so AFAIK will take a tapered steerer.

Vortexracing

Couple of questions.

Is it thru-axle or QR on the fork and frame?

Is the fork 1/8 or tapered steerer?

Is it boost 110/148 or non boost 100/135?

Cheers as none of that is on the website

as Bez said, and yes it will take a std tapered steerer fork.

avdave2

They are 100/135 quick release. One of the reasons I went for the Ramin 3+ was that with the 135 QR and EBB it gives me the option of fitting my Rohloff. If I had the money at the moment I’d buy one of these transfer everything from the 3+ to it and then build that frame up with the Rohloff and 29″ wheels.

drewd

@vortexracing any idea of the weight of the frame and fork? And was the headset fitted?

Bez

If it’s anything like the 3+, the frame is lighter than you might expect, the fork is gert heavy, and the headset isn’t fitted.

drewd

Cheers Bez.

lunge

Hmm, now if someone could link to a good deal on a Deore groupset we’re talking.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I weighed a large Ramin frame from 2016 or 2017 at just over 1500g.

I think from another thread that the fork was about 1.2kg?

ronshirt
    Free Member

forks weigh 1350g, nearly as much as the frame lol. I have one set up as a SS, great fun

drewd

Cheers guys, very helpful. I’ve got some spares already so will have a think before jumping in.

They’re bargains at this price, just not sure I need another bike.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

I have a v2 scandal currently – but would like more clearance in the back and a slacker head angle…the front rack mounts are an added bonus.

Any reason not to click the button at this price?

Vortexracing

Any reason not to click the button at this price?

you already know the answer 😉

PRESS IT !!!!!

Bez

just not sure I need another bike

u wot m8

ampthill

Great shout. It would be a great bike to ride from this house. Presumably it would take a front derailleur

avdave2

There is a cable guide for a front derailleur on my 3+ so I assume same for this.
    ive thought about carbon forks for mine but haven’t found anything with that same a-c and offset. Ally forks would be fine as well given I’ve got a 3” tyre running at 9psi.

Bez

There’s a cable stop for the front mech on this frame, too.

I’m going to briefly give it a go with the 440mm forks from the Longitude to see if it’s a bunch of fun… I do enjoy an unfashionably steep head angle 🙂

drewd

u wot m8

I’ve already got a Marin Pine Mountain One plus bike with a bouncy fork and a Charge Plug 3 all road/gravel bike. There’s quite a bit of overlap with this, although the plug is currently running 28mm slicks and guards as a winter roadie.

This would have been a great winter off road bike, but I left it too long and small is now OOS.

superstu
    Free Member

No XL available anymore which will help my procrastinating.

Bought an Iroko before in one of their sales and it was an awesome frame, most compliant aluminium frame I’ve had, good all rounder geometry and surprisingly light. These look like they’d be great and a genuine bargain.

Simon

I’m tempted, would be a good bike for my commute but I’d need some wheels.
    Anyone know of any bargain wheels that would fit? Preferably 29″

dogbone

Superstar have 25% off. £158 for a pair.

Simon

Cheers, frame+forks and wheels on the way!
    Just need some fast knobbly tyres now.

Vortexracing

Spoke to Evans and they apologised, but it won’t come with a shim. Not a great problem TBH, and having the headset was a bonus.

Mines nearly built, piccies to follow and test ride tomorrow hopefully

Vortexracing

Finished apart from a different seat and post when I can sort one out.

Only question is do I plumb for some 27.5+ wheels and tyres to try ?????????

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hSzNUm]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

jameso

Looks good!

Spoke to Evans and they apologised, but it won’t come with a shim.

They don’t sorry, no – these frames were bought in for warranty service but not used. 31.6 post fits but the full bikes were shimmed down to 27.2. Use a long shim if you do, the bikes came with 100mms.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks good. If it were 142x12mm rear & 100x15mm front then I probably would bought one to use with a nice set of that wheels I can’t sell.

Only question is do I plumb for some 27.5+ wheels and tyres to try

I wouldn’t hurry to, I’ve found they make most sense round our way in the dry months (if we get more than one dry month).

You may well pick up some nice cheap used non-boost ones by watching ebay etc. though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Pinnacle Ramin 1 Fork and Frameset – £96’ is closed to new replies.