Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • PSA – OneUp Components 42t Sprocket GREEN NOW IN STOCK ALL LOCATIONS!
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve decided to go for one. Green doesn’t exactly go with turquoise but there you go…
    This is just an alert to let people know they’re in stock available to ship. No discussions necessary about the rights and wrongs of this product, that has been covered elsewhere ad nauseam…

campfreddie
    Free Member

Hope’s new T-Rex 40t sprocket should be on sale within the next couple of weeks for circa £50.

I’m holding out for this.

Northwind

My black one’s in the mail, quite curious to see how it works.

teethgrinder

Does an SLX 10SPD cassette not have a removable 17t cog? The 9spd does.

Milkie
    Free Member

Hope’s new T-Rex 40t sprocket should be on sale within the next couple of weeks

You are talking about Hope aren’t you? Did you mean years?

roverpig

It looks as though Hope have abandoned the 42T sprocket and will only produce the 40T one. I know it’s only 5% difference, but 5% can make all the difference when you are on the limit, so that’s a bit of a shame in my book. Still I’m sure they know what they are doing, maybe 36-42 is just too big a difference in practice, but I quite like the idea of 9 speed plus a get-out-of-jail gear.

AlexSimon

36-42 is exactly the gap in the xx1/x01 cassettes – I haven’t heard anyone complain about those.
    More likely the tension screw requirement has put them off.

duir
    Free Member

I received my Oneup 42 tooth cog a few weeks ago and it’s brilliant. Well made and works flawlessly. As I am not a pro athlete or internet hero I found that my ageing 41 year old carcass was getting a bit knackered in the mountains on a 36 cassette so I thought I would give it a go (1X10). People were saying that £60 for one cog is a rip off but it’s infinitely better than being dry bummed by SRAM for a whole new setup.

It took minutes to fit, is unnoticeable when shifting (in filthy mud) and the only question left is how long it lasts. I have a steel freehub so freehub wear is not a worry. Your mech looks a bit weird in 42t and chain length is a fine art. I found that I needed a chain device to take up slack in highest gear but maybe just using a longer mech would work (I use med SLX).

With a 32 tooth front chainring it feels like I have about a 26t granny when using the 42t, which is ace up here in NE Scotland with massive climbs and long days out.

All in all a really great product and will be great until Shimano make a 42 tooth cassette at a fraction of the SRAM one.

campfreddie
    Free Member

Wander over to the weigh weenies forum if you want to know (and see) what shimano have in store in this respect. Not allowed to talk about it on here though (press embargo on releasing details apparently)

matther01
    Free Member

Anyone know if Works Components have one in the offing?

Northwind – where did you get yours from?

Duir – did you change any smaller cogs to stop the big gap down to the smallest cog?

Northwind

I just ordered from Oneup in the presale they did earlier in the year. Black obviously, green is for weirdos.

loum
    Free Member

Anyone know/guess if it would work with a zee dérailleur ?
    Just about to buy some 1×10 kit and was thinking zee derailleur, saint shifter, xt cassette;
    but maybe deore or slx derailleur would be better for fitting such a large sprocket in the future?

matther01
    Free Member

Someone correct me…but I think it is medium or long only with the Oneup.

Northwind

TBH Zee isn’t guaranteed to work with 36T- bike dependent but it’s already pretty marginal within its design limits. I might bodge it up with my Saint just to see what it does but I am skeptic.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Zee only just about works with a 36. I think the 42T would destroy it.

campfreddie
    Free Member

I had an email from Works a few weeks back. They are going to produce a 40t, but wouldn’t say when it will be rolled out (I suspect within the next few weeks).

Hope have put on their FB site that the T-Rex will be out In 2 weeks and will be £50.

Re. zee… There are some guys who are successfully running a OneUp on a Zee (FR version). I plan to do the same wi a Hope or Works 40t when they become available.

D0NK

Wander over to the weigh weenies forum if you want to know (and see) what shimano have in store in this respect.

still atleast year or two from sensibly priced big cassettes. XT cassette plus oneup is still a lot cheaper than xx1 or anything shimano may or may not have available soon.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I have a zee working well with 40T,think I would use a med cage for anything bigger.

vid of it here

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/351634/

D0NK

BTW where are these locations that they are in stock? Google is only offering me the oneup site.

AlexSimon

That’s right Donk – they post from different locations, so it means that you can order and one will be posted to you from the UK.

D0NK

Ah right cheers Alex, saw the $100 price and thought “nope, not pissing around with international shipping and duty on top” didnt even check the shipping page.

Now I’m thinking “still kinda pricey but hmmm……”

matther01
    Free Member

Donk – Or you could try a Wolf for $90? 3-4 weeks delivery time though

campfreddie
    Free Member

There is/was a oneup for sale on pinkbike classifieds a day or so back.

trout
    Free Member

the Hope ones are showing on CRC at £59.99 but no stock 🙁

duir
    Free Member

Duir – did you change any smaller cogs to stop the big gap down to the smallest cog?

Removed the 17t cog as per the instructions. You only notice a very fractionally longer and delayed shift between the remaining cogs snd I certainly don’t miss that cog whatsoever.

mos

Ordered one sunday night & recieved it today. Although their website says they are based in north america but mine shipped from sussex?

teamslug
    Free Member

Out of stock now..:-(

campfreddie
    Free Member

Re. The Hope T-Rex

Hope mention on their FB page that it should be £50 and CRC list the RRP as £60.

So… Who’s right…..?

Deveron53
    Free Member

Arrived this morning – ordered on Thursday, posted in East Sussex on Friday.
    I’m very impressed by the quality and the design. It’s actually got a subtle ‘dish’ to it to allow a wider ‘bed’ on to the splines and to clear the spokes. Well worth the £65 – ish.

mos

Fitted mine yesterday. XT med cage mech with B tension wound all the way in 6 extra links. Seems to work fine. I also have a 16T sprocket to replace the 15T to redeuce the 4T gap down to 3.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve got an X9 long cage. I managed to get my hands on a PG1050 cassette and will be nicking a 16T off it. I have a 12-36 so I’ll be nicking the 11T as well.
    I can’t wait to see if my 8 weeks off the bike will allow me to pedal up the familiar Aberdeenshire hills with a slightly higher bottom gear… Nurse!

Northwind

Fitted mine last night, had to fit a longer adjuster screw, on a 10-speed shadow+ XT (it was already wound most of the way in, so might be some oddity of the mechhanger design). Reasonably sure the chain was already longer than it had to be, only added a single link at the moment and that seems alright but I might add another. Very quick testride and I didn’t really notice the missing 17T, shifting into the 42T isn’t as nice as across the rest of the block but still acceptable.

It looks much bigger than I was expecting, stupidly, but it is a nice bit of kit.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

hello chaps
    im running 2 x 10 which needs replaced so considering 1 x 10 with a 40 or 42 t granny gear
    firstly ive noticed a few steel and stainless steel on ebay from america

has anyone seem a 40 0r 42t converter in steel available from uk or eu ?
    thanks Tam

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Fitted mine last night, had to fit a longer adjuster screw, on a 10-speed shadow+ XT (it was already wound most of the way in, so might be some oddity of the mechhanger design). Reasonably sure the chain was already longer than it had to be, only added a single link at the moment and that seems alright but I might add another. Very quick testride and I didn’t really notice the missing 17T, shifting into the 42T isn’t as nice as across the rest of the block but still acceptable.

It looks much bigger than I was expecting, stupidly, but it is a nice bit of kit.

Chain length is my worry with it. Medium cage shimano mech, I added a link as I was slightly worries about length with the shock bottomed out, but when honking along in high gear there’s now some chain slap.

Didn’t need the longer scrrew, just removed the plastic washer from it

Northwind

Got mine working very happilly- think the cassette is a bit worn but mostly it’s just temperamental about b-screw adjustment. I’ve never bothered myself much with the b-screw in the past so took a while to get it right. Very good bit of kit.

(ironically, it’s so good, I’ve taken it off! Hardtail going back to 11-36, the big bike’s going 1×10 with a 36T, which I wasn’t planning)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘PSA – OneUp Components 42t Sprocket GREEN NOW IN STOCK ALL LOCATIONS!’ is closed to new replies.