• This topic has 86 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • PSA – Halfords 6 drawer tool chest AND cabinet for £299.99
  • cb

I’m not at all bothered about having bought the previous deal without the spanners…nope, not bothered at all. Bugger

househusband

If it makes you feel any better, cb, the stickers don’t come off easily… they’re going to be a ball-ache to get off properly.

andyl
    Free Member

dammit, hesitated and now none of my really local stores have all 3 in stock.

somafunk

Use a hair dryer or a heat gun on the stickers and they peel off really easy

househusband

Use a hair dryer or a heat gun on the stickers and they peel off really easy

My favourite is, of all, things butter or margarine – recommended by someone here (Drac, I think..?) ages ago!

Crell
    Free Member

Damn you guys. I am tempted by this now as I’m getting fed up having loads of tool boxes.

I’m not convinced that’ll be the outcome. It’s a bit like bikes, n + 1.

seems that the online system lags behind the store stock system and they didn’t have stock of the larger unit shown in bigshep’s photo

I got the same story when I turned up and the guy who served me was absolutely useless. I took the display model and they knocked another 10 % off so I bought another one of these (my existing one is a bit knackered after years of abuse). It makes a really good bike tool box.

somafunk

Keep your bedroom shenanigans to yourself househusband, we do not wish to hear about them.

The stickers are well stuck down so it’s not the residue that’s hard to get off but the entire decal

firestarter
    Free Member

Sat in my basket but I just cant find anywhere I could put them doh…

Daffy

That’s quite a deal, and in stock locally too…

andyl
    Free Member

Popped in to take a look and I have to say the Industrial range set (black) is much heavier duty and the top box full depth and the biggest temptation is drawers that have little catches on to stop them sliding open when you move it round.

But that’s £100 more and no spanners. Still tempting though.

oldnpastit

I bought the industrial one today to sort out a giant pile-o-random-bits. I have to say it’s very good. Very happy.

Only thing that’s a bit annoying is that you can’t open the drawers in the top unit unless the lid is open.

andyl
    Free Member

anyone seen a cheap source of drawer organisers? Not paying £12 each for theirs.

Daffy

But you only get a single large drawer in the Industrial version.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yes, only a single large drawer in the industrial is a little bit of a pain, and I wish they did a cabinet like the cheap one that would take bottles and stuff.

I got the 10% BC discount but it isn’t really worth it unless you have a van or something as the boxes are big and heavy – I had to make two trips and struggled to get them into the back of my Alfa GT, and then the Halfords guy helping me said he had problems with his shoulders and they dislocated easily!

kevin1911

Damn! I missed the spanners! Although really liking the industrial toolboxes. Glad others have found it useful. Drawer organisers would be quite useful. Anyone know of any that fit (for a decent price?)

MrGrim

Cheers for the updated PSA. Did the reserve and collect, and got a call from the local store to say that unfortunately they didn’t have a boxed 7 drawer chest in stock, only the display model, but that they will give me a boxed 9 drawer chest for the same price 🙂

spacemonkey

I popped along to pick my up yesterday but opted out in the end. Excellent VFM but couldn’t justify the spend for “just a bit of storage”. Going to rethink how to organise the workroom and divvy the £200 between some other storage option and more tools.

damitamit
    Free Member

Sweet. My local store has them. How do you use the British Cycling discount?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

just take your card to the store and mention it, or maybe take the code that I think is listed on the BC site somewhere.

damitamit
    Free Member

Picked mine up today. They wouldn’t give the 10% BC discount as they said this is a online only offer and the discount applies to in-store stuff.

andyl
    Free Member

Hopefully off to pick mine up today.

Can get 10% off halfords gift vouchers through our more than pet insurance (look on Hot Deals UK for details). Was a bit of a last minute thing and I ordered them yesterday and they arrived this morning by special delivery so should cost me £174 after 10% discount and 3% TCB. Just need to fit the new exhaust to the land rover first so I can go get them…

damitamit
    Free Member

Yeh, same here. Got 10% off vouchers through my sisters umbrella company.

RustyNissanPrairie

finally picked mine up today after being ‘reserved’ ie out of stock for over a week.

Got them to swop the bundled spanner kit for the professional range £100 ratchet spanners as i already have a full set of decent spanners.

Boxes ok quaility – good for home Landrover tinkering but wouldnt survive daily use.

Thanks very much to KEVIN and CB for PSA on this deal .
    Got mine ( both tool chest and spanners )

simon_g

Got mine too, thanks for posting. WD40 works wonders on the stickers once you’ve peeled off as much as possible.

andyl
    Free Member

Finally got mine out of their carboard boxes and feeling a bit underwhelmed 🙁

Does anyone elses top lid seem to jam about 2 inch from closing and then bang and slam down? Problem seems to be related to the bottom drawer as when I pull that out it closes right (the lock bar must be catching). Not sure about the friction restraint on the drawers either and it feels a bit flimsy.

Knew I should have gone for the Industrial version but I have to admit the 2 large drawers on the bottom unit are more appealing.

I think my top box has been a bit bashed at Halfords as the plastic corner piece is all split and mangled.

I would swap them but the industrial bundle is now £350 not £300 which is annoying.

I’ve got a lot of their pro tools and always been impressed but this is not up to standard IMO.

simon_g

Easy enough to take the drawer out and adjust the little catch that holds the drawer in. Or the back of the drawer if it’s got bent from closing it with the lid down.

iain65
    Free Member

Blooming STW forum, gone and ordered the black industrial one now!

Thanks for the heads up 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Just got the industrial version instead – much better. Still on offer for £349 but with the spanners thrown in and as I want the spanners anyway I got it.

Just a quick heads-up for those with the spanners that you can un-clip the bits that hold the spanners and use them in the drawers to keep them organised.

andyl
    Free Member

Another PSA. 12-2pm there is an extra 10% off and for anyone wanting the red and black professional tool cabinets you can get the bottom trolley, top box and the extra 4 drawer middle box for £225 with the extra 10% (£250 if you miss it).

They just removed the spanners from the £350 industrial bundle before the extra 10% came in.

proutster
    Free Member

Thanks, been waiting for this to come around again.

Have just ordered, my local store has stock, just waiting for them to confirm when they’re ready to collect 😀

househusband

Due to Halfords error(s) I seem to have paid just over £100 for the two tool chests and the spanners… 😳

Ordered online and left it a few hours before driving to collect; turns out the stock was out and they didn’t have both tool chests in stock at the store – the Store Manager gave me a further 10% off for the inconvenience and he did something with the payment so it seems I only paid just over £100 for the one tool chest and spanners I took away with me that day. Went to collect a week or so later and I failed to realise I’d not paid the full amount… as did the member of staff I showed the receipt to.

parkesie
    Free Member

Got a used red one full of tools going for £200 at my work.

duckeee
    Free Member

Only £180 with the 10% off discount code (B15MT08)!
    Just ordered myself and picking up this evening!

imn

The industrial set is on offer for £349 too now

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Nother 10% for BC members too..

smurf
    Free Member

These PSAs are helpful, but I went down the route of looking for a set on ebay and ended up paying £260 for an as new 2 piece Industrial set (plus a bit of fuel to collect it).

Having used it whilst I’m doing a bike build I can’t believe I didn’t get one years ago. The ability to have all of my tools in one place, and easy to find, has completely changed the pace I can work and how often I’m now able to do just 30 minutes DIY / bike maintenance at a time, because I don’t need to spend 20 mins digging out the tools / finding what I need.

The industrial one does have a few “deeper than the others” drawers towards the bottom, but only the bottom one could be considered to be a deep drawer.

One thing I’ve noticed is that, on the top unit, if you push the drawers in all the way, they “lock” shut and you then need to open the top lid, to unlock them. I’ve learnt to push them in almost all the way in and it’s been fine.

I’d certainly recommend them (either from Halfords on on ebay) if you’re sitting on the fence about a set.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Having used it whilst I’m doing a bike build I can’t believe I didn’t get one years ago. The ability to have all of my tools in one place, and easy to find, has completely changed the pace I can work and how often I’m now able to do just 30 minutes DIY / bike maintenance at a time, because I don’t need to spend 20 mins digging out the tools / finding what I need.”

this x 100

my garage might be a complete sty but the tools all live in their place in my tool boxes …. means you can lay your hand on anything at any time without having to think about it/search for ages.

Northwind

smurf – Member

One thing I’ve noticed is that, on the top unit, if you push the drawers in all the way, they “lock” shut and you then need to open the top lid, to unlock them. I’ve learnt to push them in almost all the way in and it’s been fine.

My chest used to do that, it annoyed me enough one day that I disconnected the lock.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Halfords 6 drawer tool chest AND cabinet for £299.99’ is closed to new replies.