Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 417 total)
  • PSA – GoPro alternative (sj4000) less than 40 quid!
  • ads678

Yep mine arrived as well today. Looks great, will be trying it out this weekend.

As above, no end of bits with it and i reckon i’ll get a chest mount and one of those silly stick things as well. woo hoo can’t wait…….

DickBarton

willard/ads678 – when did you order your one? Just trying to work out how accurate the ETA is – 27th Nov-16th December!

scruff9252

Harumph! Mines not here yet. Working from home tomorrow, fingers crossed.

bigshep
    Free Member

Mine arrived today having been ordered on the 29th August.
    Small padded envelope, lots of goodies inside 😀

ads678

I ordered mine the day this thread started.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Mine arrived yeterday.
    First impressions:
    The camera seems to work well. I had a 2GB SD card kicking around from a phone that died and that gives me 15 minutes recording time for now.
    I had to find longer screws for the mounting hardware to make any of them work on a bike.
    I now ordered one of these mounts for the new Electron F650 light. Gopro (and SJ4000) compatible, £14.99 from any bike shop with a Madison account. At 35mm diameter it will need packing out for most handlebars but will clamp snugly on a lot of stems.

The locking mechanism on the waterproof case is a little delicate. I managed to break the small tab off it in a moment of hamfistedness. Now fixed though.

willard

I think I ordered mine at the same time as the thread started, so it took nearly a month to get here. A month of impatient waiting, nail chewing and restlessness for shiny new toy.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Think mine was about 2.5 weeks from ordering.

DickBarton

Cool thanks, so another 10 days at least…

spacemonkey

Ordered mine on Wed and received it today. Looks pretty damn genuine too. Loads of gubbins in the box. Currently charging + SanDisk Extreme Plus card arriving tomorrow = hoping to give it a run out on the trails on Sunday 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What colour did you order?

spacemonkey

Black (wifi version). Got a second battery as well. About £80 all in.

devs
    Free Member

I got the yellow one. It’s identifying itself as j1455 on the computer. Is this the right one?

crogthomas
    Free Member

I now ordered one of these mounts for the new Electron F650 light. Gopro (and SJ4000) compatible, £14.99 from any bike shop with a Madison account. At 35mm diameter it will need packing out for most handlebars but will clamp snugly on a lot of stems.

Thanks for that recomendation. Just what I was looking for.

DickBarton

Do we know which version of the firmware comes with the units? Do we need to install a newer firmware version? (I’ve found 3 locations with firmware but no idea if it needs it or which one it may need)…just getting things prepped so when it arrives I can set it all up!

mlke
    Free Member

I like that bar mount but it looks like it has a screw to mount it.
    I wonder if there is an equivalent which has a quick release mount like the great Lumicycle light mounts

dhyetiman
    Free Member

The mount will just attach direct to the waterproof housing. You could prob try to attach a tripod mount type thing to it?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

mlke. The mount is hinged opposite the screw and the lower half is slotted where the screw passes through so the screw can be pivotted out of the way when the tension has been released. The body is alloy. rather than black plastic, the photo doesn’t make that obvious.

mlke
    Free Member

That sounds just the job Mostly B. I think I’ll invest in one.
    The next thing I’ll end up spending cash on is to upgrade the memory card (thingee whatever they’re called)

Big-M
    Free Member

So my youngest is after a Go-Pro for Christmas, this seems like a viable alternative. Are the ones available via EvoMTB OK then..?

spacemonkey

Not impressed so far.

Everything seems legit but 2 problems:

1. General consensus is to format the SD card to exFAT (to go beyond 4Gb max capacity), but when I do this the SJ4000 says “Memory Error”. So I’ve gone with the in-camera format option which I’ve heard is the equivalent of FAT32, so it now records fine but might well limit storage to 4Gb. Still testing so haven’t got that far yet. Giving it the benefit of the doubt for now as I’m running new newer firmware (28th Sep 2014) so maybe it will max out the 32Gb.

2. The “up” and “down” buttons on the waterproof case don’t physically touch the camera buttons, therefore they may as well not be there. Have been trying to free them up but the still seem a good mm or more away from making contact.

Anyone has similar issues?

spacemonkey

Big M: I got mine from Bang Good – ordered this week and delivered within a couple of days. UK Warehouse and on first impressions completely original. Niggled by a couple of things as per post above.

Black wifi version with extra battery 1-3 day delivery £80 ish.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Well I got mine from evomtb (black) delivery was just over 2 weeks and I am more than happy with it, it’s a genuine one and I am now tempted to order another for filming from multiple angles.

wukfit
    Free Member

Would I be daft not to buy a new Go-pro Hero for £67.50 (100% authentic, just staff discount)
    Have always fancied playing around with an action camera, but been hesitant about buying a “cheap” one

spacemonkey

Tested the card and all is working well, ie have recorded 10Gb of video with a bunch of photos too. I think the new firmware has got rid of the original problem where the in-camera formatting capped storage at 4Gb. Bottom line: just format the card inside the camera and you’re good to go.

Only thing to resolve now is getting the up(and wifi)/down buttons to work properly via the waterproof cover.

Big-M
    Free Member

thanks for the advice, cheers.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I can use the up and down buttons when in the case on mine. You have to be be pretty firm, but they do work.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Wukfit-
    I’d say yes get one, if I could have got a GoPro for that money I probably would of. Having said that, now I have the sj4000 I’d not bother evn if I managed to get it that cheap, I’d sooner get 2 of these lol. However if I had never tried these then, yes I’d have jumped on a 67 quid GoPro

keng38
    Free Member

Been looking around and there seems to be a lot of fakes about.
    Anyone looked at a Denver ac5000W?
    Found some online for less than £90 with free 32gb SD card.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Kebg, the ones from evomtb seem to be genuine from what everyone has said and my own experience.

Knot seen the Denver, but if it’s priced at £90 then the obvious thing to do would be to go gopro4 instead surely?

spacemonkey

Right, first impressions from today’s 3hr ride …

Pros

– HD quality is much better than expected. Really bloody good in fact.
    – Sound is similarly a lot better. Trail noise and speech etc all perfectly audible.
    – The integrated card formatting option is bang on (not sure if this applies only to Sep firmware upgrade onwards?). No need to use a PC/Mac and faff around with FAT32 vs exFAT.

Cons

– Battery lasts about 45 mins on HD. Not necessarily bad – more a case of getting in the habit of stopping/starting recording when necessary as opposed to recording 15 min climbs.
    – Swapping batteries in sh1tty wet weather means condensation getting in the case – not sure how best to deal with that when in a rush.
    – Mounting on a helmet makes said helmet “nod” forward every so often. On-the-fly adjusting often required, usually when you really want both hands on the bars. It also means you have to take more care to avoid low-hanging branches etc.
    – Not having an appropriate bar mount (out of the box) is a bit pants, but I reckon sourcing the (Madison) one mentioned above will improve the whole usability experience.
    – Can’t believe how slow we all looked in the footage 🙂 I know the trails were sketchy and in most parts more technical than usual, but even so, we look damn laboured!

So in summary, the cons aren’t really an issue once I 1) make better use of recording time, 2) find a spot on bar mount, and 3) ride faster! Those, coupled with the excellent output really make the SJ4000 a no-brainer for those wanting a wifi action camera (with various additional mounts and spare batteries etc) for IRO £100.

Am also aware of how hosts like YouTube/Facebook lessen the quality of recordings, which in my mind doesn’t do justice to the quality available. Maybe something like a Vimeo Pro account would improve that side of things (for those that have one or want to spend the cash).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Would I be daft not to buy a new Go-pro Hero for £67.50 (100% authentic, just staff discount)

I’d still get the SJ4000. It compares favourably to higher-range Go Pro models, the £100 Hero is just a low quality camera with a Go Pro badge and hefty mark-up.

bails

Is anyone using an SJ4000 with one of these mounts?

Link

I reckon it could be a good alternative to my helmet mounted Contour when commuting.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

That looks like a good mount, however it would need to come right up onto the shoulder nearly to film when leaning forward ect. However that’s also a hefty price tag imo just for a mount! Think il stick to the chest mount even if it does mean an extra thing to put on

DickBarton

Drift do a shoulder mount – There may be a mount with the SJ4000 that allows it to be mounted on a standard 1/4″ mount – if not, the previous link I gave with a box of mounts for the SJ4000 comes with a standard tripod mount that could be used.

willard

Unless it makes me look like Predator, I’m not keen on a shoulder mount.

Oh, and Spacemonkey, do you have a link to the place with the new firmware at all?

DickBarton

What is the latest firmware?

spacemonkey

Hmm, not sure what the latest is. Mine shipped with the Sept update.

Techmoan is normally a good source for such info but even his file driver page is out of date.

I’ll have another look in a bit.

EDIT: if you can bring yourselves to visit a BMW forum page then check out this link the Aug update.

A few other sites have links but IMO I wouldn’t download from them.

scruff9252

My camera turned up on Friday, first play at home seems good. Charger went bang the first time I plugged it in though so don’t leave it unattended. It just takes a normal micro USB so replacement chargers are easy.

ads678

I’m well impressed with mine, can’t fault it for the money.

I’ve just been using my phone charger so no dodgy Chinese fireworks.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 417 total)

The topic ‘PSA – GoPro alternative (sj4000) less than 40 quid!’ is closed to new replies.