Home Forums Bike Forum PSA: Garmin Epix.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • PSA: Garmin Epix.
  • chestrockwell
    sc-xc

I got one from the last PSA at £375 I think…it’s been fantastic. Much better than the galaxy watch it replaced

chestrockwell

Yeah, nearly pulled the trigger last time so snapped one up this.

scotroutes

There should be a few bargains on these as the forthcoming Fenix 8 and Fenix E will merge the Fenix and Epix lines

letmetalktomark

Hmmm … this is about the same money as my Fenix 6 Pro Solar was 20 months ago. The magpie in me asks … would this be a **cough** upgrade **cough**?

butcher

Hmmm … this is about the same money as my Fenix 6 Pro Solar was 20 months ago. The magpie in me asks … would this be a **cough** upgrade **cough**?

There’s a comparison on DC Rainmaker. The short version seems to be that the Epix has a far superior display at the (quite great) expense of battery life.

ampthill

I went for tye 375 deal with no regrets

surfer
    Free Member

I fancied the Epix (I have a 245 music which I am pleased with) but I spent a bit of time watching Youtube and some of the features I want (to seperate it from my 245) include the ECG monitor which is only available on the Pro. Also ability to answer calls on my watch (similar to the Apple watch Mrs Surfer has) im not sure if any Garmins have that yet.

I fancied the super display as I dont wear my glasses when I run but not always easy for me to see the screen when I am running. Reduced battery life is not an issue for me, never far from a charging point. Better mapping would be useful, combined with the better screen I could use it for navigation instead of my phone which would be useful.

submarined
    Free Member

Also ability to answer calls on my watch (similar to the Apple watch Mrs Surfer has) im not sure if any Garmins have that yet.

My wife has a latest gen Venu and I’m pretty sure it can. Google suggests that’s the case. As am aside, she was sceptical about moving to Garmin as it was a very different style to her old Galaxy watch, but she absolutely loves it. The battery live would sell it even if nothing else did!
    Tempted by this offer to upgrade my aging Venu.

the00
    Free Member

Been happy with my Epix for 2.5 years. It can be used to answer/ reject calls, but it’s a function I never use.

Tempted to upgrade when the news ones are released, for the bigger screen.

But at that price it’s a good buy.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Fenix 8 supposedly released tomorrow, it is UTMB week so makes sense.

w00dster

On the H Samuel site you can sign up and get an additional £32 off. Good deal for under £300.

paino

Cheeky upgrade time! Tried to sign up for the extra 10% but it didn’t allow the discount. Fair enough I suppose! Got an extra 8% through work though. Result. Great PSA thanks. Anyone want an Instinct 2 Solar ??

Prophet2
    Free Member

Well that was an expensive visit to STW this afternoon ?.

Ordered the Epix, replacing my aging Forerunner 645. Thanks OP!

ampthill

I don’t think you can do the 10% on the Epix

fooman

I don’t think you can do the 10% on the Epix

I can confirm it doesn’t work but you can get cashback, Quidco etc.

fazzini

I got one after the last PSA, very happy with it, and have 5 alternative colour straps (cos I’m a tart and it’s like having 5 watches) from:

https://www.smartwatch-straps.co.uk/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7C2BhDkARIsAA_SZKYdSjQMWyE9gIAwQftxfVjSHDEFGMkoiS_GL0M_Ehrs_bt3J44h36MaAo_gEALw_wcB

Ewan
    Free Member

On the ECG front. Doesn’t work in UK anyway (there is a way around the geoblock which worked on my 7 pro). That said the ECG feature is not very exciting.

Kryton57
    birky
    Free Member

Looks like these were released early 2022. Still worth getting or go for something newer?

the00
    Free Member

The differences a many and tiny. But one of those tiny differences might be something that matters for you.

Having seen the F8 release, I’m not sold yet on the additional features.

razorrazoo

If anyone spots any mega deals on Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar models now the F8 is out, I have a regular spec Fenix 5 which I’d be tempted to upgrade…..

cat69uk
    Free Member

Currently got a 3 year old Fenix pro 6, great bit of kit.  Only reason looking to upgrade is better battery as doing a 110k in the south of France in October.  Probably take me 24 hours plus and don’t think the 6 will last. Also want the 51m as my eyes are not great :) Not bothered about the 8, voice, speaker etc…. no need.  So choices are the new Enduro 3 or Fenix 7x Pro or Epix Pro Gen 2.  All down to the best deal over the coming couple of weeks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks like these were released early 2022. Still worth getting or go for something newer?

“something newer” is the Epix Pro and the (tomorrow?) Fenix 8.  Which are currently double and looking like to be triple the price respectively.  Although I’d expect the Pro to end up on more of a sale at some point maybe, but then there’ll probably be a Fenix 9 …….

I’ve still got an old 2nd hand Instinct which TBH still does 90% of what I’d like (tell me the time, log stuff for STRAVA, that’s about it) so maybe I’m the wrong person to ask.

Control music – my headphones do that

Pay for stuff – maybe, but if I’m out and about I’ve probably got my phone, which i don’t use for payments because my cards are in the same wallet.

Mapping – maybe, but something bar mounted would be more useful.

Also ability to answer calls on my watch (similar to the Apple watch Mrs Surfer has) im not sure if any Garmins have that yet.

The world does not need more ways to use speakerphone in public!  Either answer it via earphones or get your phone out ?

Kryton57

At cat69uk – consider an Instinct 2X Solar?  That’s what I’d by, 50 days to unlimited power in smartwatch mode, must be more than you need in GPS.  And the Solar does make a very significant impact on those.

chestrockwell

Mine arrived today and looks very nice. Certainly a step up from my Vivoactive 3.

kimbers

If the alleged instinct 3 is due soo will the instinct 2 be reduced?

seantemple
    Free Member

7 or 7 pro?
    Loads of deals about for the 7, John Lewis was the cheapest for the 7 pro I just picked up. Plus they will price match if something cheaper comes up in the next couple of weeks

Ewan
    Free Member

I have a 7 pro. I’ll just say that I’ll never buy a watch without a built in light. It’s genuinely incredibly useful (e.g. checking on kids with the red light at night, finding that thing down the side of the fridge). Yes I could use my phone torch but this is better – hands free and red light is great.

penrijones

My Garmin 735 died whilst I was on holiday. I bought a Garmin Quatix 7 sapphire. £475 but an extra 10% off so was about £425. Really happy with it so far. https://www.jamesmoorejewellers.co.uk/shop/garmin-quatix-7-sapphire-edition-gps-amoled-display-smartwatch-010-02582-61/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8rW2BhAgEiwAoRO5rGqF0L35A3-PjN2UqjtS2WmgHvdKa-bgx43NdCzv4Yk47ILLX0TqbxoCLM4QAvD_BwE

P20

For pure battery life enduro 2 is on offer with single track discounts at £547. I’ve been keeping an eye on these for awhile and only just realised they are 51mm. Too big for my wrists ??‍♂️. Looks like I’ll have to sacrifice the battery life of my instinct solar 2 for the screen of fenix or epix as my eyes aren’t great at reading the instinct in low light or when tired

iainc

I got an Epix Pro 2 sapphire (47mm) in the last PSA, it is really good and a huge step up from my previous Instinct Crossover –  as other have noted, I was finding reading it, even with varifocals, not great in certain lighting conditions

I do prefer the seamless functionality of my Apple Watch 9 for daily wear, largely due to the notifications and flow with my iphone, but the Garmin is now pretty close !

razorrazoo

Loads of deals about for the 7, John Lewis was the cheapest for the 7 pro I just picked up. Plus they will price match if something cheaper comes up in the next couple of weeks

Popped into JL Oxford Street today, the small Garmin display was empty as I assume they’re going to redo for the Fenix 8.  I found a cabinet with a load of various marked down Garmin’s with random prices.  I was told they were returns or reconditioned units.  They had a Fenix 7 Pro Solar Sapphire in A condition (it’s unmarked, slightly battered box, brand new unopened cable).  Chap informed me A grade is 25% off current sale price of £599, so £450 including 2 year warranty, bargain!  ‘New’ clearance stock was something like 15% off, Grade B something more than 25%, so worth a look if in the area, Make sure you check the current price as the one I bought had an old sticker with a higher price which they corrected.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.