Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PSA for the trail builders: new UK McLoed stockist
  • MrAgreeable

So it seems somewhere in the UK is finally selling Mcloeds (Those funny yellow rake things that pro riders build their Rampage lines with), and best of all they’re offering free shipping!

Apologies for the long link, if it doesn’t work then just bang “mcloed tool” into a Google Shopping search:

http://www.tizaro.com/product/HT18F8/nupla-69216-fire-tool-combo-hoe-rake-ft?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchantUK&utm_term=hand-tools–fire-&-rescue-tools&utm_content=probing-tools&utm_campaign=nupla-69216-fire-tool-combo-hoe-rake-ft

plecostomus
    Free Member

Awesome good find been after one for years.

MrAgreeable

Don’t get too excited. They are pretty useless for digging in heavy soil, and a proper tamper or a whacker plate will compact surfaces better. They’re a good do it all tool to chuck in the barrow though.

honourablegeorge

For £75, I’d expect a tool to have an engine of some description.

MrAgreeable

Where’s yours then? 😛

wordnumb
    Free Member

Not for £75, no way.

Threadjack – Mr Agreeable, on your trailbuilding tumblr you mention a meeting tomorrow. Are people meeting at the AHP car park?

properbikeco
    Free Member

For £75, I’d expect a tool to have an engine of some description.

how many do you get for that?

oh, one, no thanks then

st

Yes good find although as said they are a reasonable compromise tool, I don’t like using them and would prefer to use a rake and spade. They certainly aren’t an essential trail building tool, especially at the price they command.

Our group had 20 made about 10 years ago by a local metalworker who took one that we bought and used it for inspiration. They should be straightforward to copy with the right company. Ours have replaceable wooden handles and cost a fraction of the price.

I wonder what the demand would be for more made on a similar basis?

MrAgreeable

Wordnumb, yes, 11 am. I should be there along with Sam Fowler and a bunch of the local riders.

st, what was the price per tool? Not looking to get any made myself, but a lot of people get in touch asking where to get one (our Facebook page’s header is a picture of one) and I’d prefer to recommend the cheaper option.

MrAgreeable

If anyone wants to go down the DIY route, I’ve just found this picture of one of ours which I marked up with measurements for the FoD trail builders.

https://bristoltrails.tumblr.com/post/43479825498/wanna-make-your-own-mcloed-just-take-this-picture

cookeaa

Looking at those I can’t help thinking you could do something more useful with the reverse profile to make it more of a “Combo” tool…

For those that had one Fabbed up how much did that cost you roughly?
    I’ve got an enthusiastic mate with a TIG set, who I’m sure I could persuade to make me one if I asked nicely…

£77.87 does seem steep even for the very fanciest of rakes…

MrAgreeable

The back edge of the tool is slightly sharpened to make a digging edge. Sorry if that’s not obvious from the pic. Here’s some in action:

st

We paid around £20 each for ours but that was just the head and they were done as a favour to help get Chase Trails started. We sourced the handles ourselves from a local tool supplier, they are timber not fibreglass and are replaceable too.

I’ll happily provide more details on sizes, pictures to anyone who might want to get one made just email me direct.

cookeaa

How thick is the sheet/plate you had the head made from?
    3mm thick enough?

scruff
    Free Member

I guess 3mm is thick enough theyd get pretty heavy to use otherwise as the nice thing about them is the long reach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PSA for the trail builders: new UK McLoed stockist’ is closed to new replies.